+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

I'm not a fan of the dance ringers for the most part although they've never won in the seasons I've watched. For me I'd much rather watch someone who has to struggle to learn to dance and watch them improve as the season goes on. It does bother my that they've paired this season's ringer with Derek who seems to have a lot of advantages because the judges love his choreography and has a large fanbase. Maybe that's their way of keeping her in the show as long as possible because she is such a good dancer.

FORT Regular

I, too, would be really interested in knowing how they select the partners. Somebody needs to give poor Tony a break and let him have a decent partner next season.

I haven't read this entire thread so this may have already been discussed BUT... Considering all the negative comments the judges made about Nicole and Derek's performance last night (including Carrie Ann's obsession with lifts), they sure gave them high scores. What was up with that?

For me, the performance was really well done. In fact, they looked like to professionals. Hmmm.... Well, maybe that's because they are.

I hope she gets voted out sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox;3870983;
    I haven't read this entire thread so this may have already been discussed BUT... Considering all the negative comments the judges made about Nicole and Derek's performance last night (including Carrie Ann's obsession with lifts), they sure gave them high scores. What was up with that?

For me, the performance was really well done. In fact, they looked like to professionals. Hmmm.... Well, maybe that's because they are.

I hope she gets voted out sooner rather than later.
    I think they had to give somewhat high scores just because of how well she danced.
    Len dinged them for the choreography, but she danced what she was given very well. She didn't appear to miss a step, so I can see why she got good scores.
    I agree about their dance looking like two pros.
    As I said earlier, for me, Derek is one of the best male pros, I love to watch him dance, but it was really difficult to tell which was the pro and which was the star.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3870839;
    I think Nicole is very talented, and this week her biggest stumbling block was...Derek! Derek decided early on that Nicole dances better when they are side-by-side rather than couples-dancing, so he puts lots of non-ballroom steps in their routines. It got ridiculous this week, and hopefully he will take the hit for it, and choreograph some more thoughtful routines, and play more of a teacher role with Nicole rather than step instructor. She really does have a lot to learn about ballroom dancing, but she won't learn if Derek keeps trying to design dances that cover up her flaws rather than show what she's learned.

She's really not a ringer to me; I think she has just as much to learn (and unlearn) as Evan does. I'm glad that someone in the cast has this much ability out of the gate, because watching an entire evening of mediocre to good-but-flawed performances can get kind of depressing.
    I really noticed the bolded this week also. Performing choreographed dance steps next to another professional dancer is in actuality what she does when she performs with PCD just without the singing.

I enjoyed the performance last night. It was terrific.
    But, I do agree that it diidn't contain the traditional steps that it should have. And, Derek is 1 of my favorite male pros on the show. However, when I watched the 2 deancing last night, I felt it very difficult, if not impossible, to tell the pro from the star.
    Much as I like Derek, I'm ready for Nicole to go.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm not ready for her to go at all - I love watching her dance and {surprisingly} love watching her dance with Derek.

I truly hope she gets the fan votes and escapes elimination tonight.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3870861;
    i didn't agree with the 9 but I didn't agree with the 6 either - I think Carrie Ann got it right with the 8 - but the overall score of 23 was fair.

I really really really love watchng her and Derek dance - ringer or not, when she steps on that dance floor we know we're going to see some great dancing. Maybe the Anything Goes wasn't the best thing to do, but her being scored for Derek's choreography is just wrong. Last night's dance would've been a great freestyle dance.

she needs to be in the F3 with Erin and Evan, but somehow I get the feeling she's going up gone before then. I hope I'm wrong.
    I've seen this brought up several times regarding Nicole-but what else are the judges supposed to judge/score her on? She has to dance the choreography Derek gave her and if he did a bad job, they need to lay into him for it until he gets it through his big head. But I don't think the celeb needs to catch a break or get a higher than deserved mark because their pro didn't do such a hot job with the choreography. I call BS on Bruno and CA not liking it as much as they let on. I think they needed to tone down the Nicole worship after the 10s last week. The fact that they all agreed with Len but Bruno gave it a 9 says it all. I guess he couldn't let the golden ones down. To me last night was just a typical Derek routine. He may not be as much of a rule breaker as some of the other pros, but he is big on gimmicks and flashy performances. Their comments about dancing to 'anything goes' so they did seemed scripted. I don't know, it just seemed like they took story week as the week to goof off and think outside the box because they could give a jazzy performance and get away with the performance part.

Aren't they supposed to be scored/judged on how they performed the choreographed dance? and not the choreography? IDK, I'm asking, this is only my second season, but that's what I thought....... also were Kate's score reflective of the dumbed down version of a Paso that tony came up with? Frankly - Kate was overscored for what she did and the overall difficultness of that dance.

I understand what you're saying karalott - but it happens all the time, we judge dancers like Nicole much harsher because folks see her as a ringer, and yet Buzz and kate will skate every week on dances that are way underpar and danced very poorly for the level of difficulty.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3871085;
    Aren't they supposed to be scored/judged on how they performed the choreographed dance? and not the choreography? IDK, I'm asking, this is only my second season, but that's what I thought....... also were Kate's score reflective of the dumbed down version of a Paso that tony came up with? Frankly - Kate was overscored for what she did and the overall difficultness of that dance.

I understand what you're saying karalott - but it happens all the time, we judge dancers like Nicole much harsher because folks see her as a ringer, and yet Buzz and kate will skate every week on dances that are way underpar and danced very poorly for the level of difficulty.

I think that the judges are supposed to be score based on the technique and performance levels of it but mainly to make sure they didn't break any rules and stuck to the traditional elements of the dance. They used to explain every season way back when what they looked for, I kind of wish they still did. Len sometimes gives a brief summary of what each dance requires and what they'll be scoring on. I didn't really see where they judged her just on the choreography. They did break rules and admitted they did their own thing for most of the dance. I see what you're saying now, I guess I wasn't sure what you meant originally. But if the judges don't like the choreography and think it strayed away from the traditional technique of the dance (for example) even if Nicole pulled it off, I suppose they're between a rock and a hard place. People are surprised Bruno gave her a 9, but if they gave her higher scores because of how she danced vs what they said about the overall routine, there'd probably be a lot of crying rigged and backlash. I'd like to assume they find that happy medium in between. I think a dancer like Nicole should be judged on a different level, because put her in a dance contest against Pamela and Niecy? No question who'd win. She's got the most experience of all of them. Buzz and Kate are just bad, so even judging them on their level they wouldn't rank high. I think that's my big problem with ringers, they have an obvious advantage against even someone like Erin but may not have to up their A game as much because they are being treated like they're just an amateur learning to dance.

In an ideal world, if this show were really about dancing, and only about dancing, then Nicole, Evan, and Erin would be the final 3. I think there's a possibility at least two of them will make it, but one of them is going to fall short. That's the problem you run into when someone has the sympathy/fan factor despite not being as good of a dancer as someone who doesn't have any angle going for them or may not be as popular. Obviously I'm concerned about how big Erin's fanbase is in the long run. I don't think Nicole is going anywhere any time soon. Evan I think is probably in the best spot of the 3.

I do agree on Kate, she's been overscored since week 1. Of course in an ideal world, she wouldn't be on the show in the first place.
    Last edited by karalott; 04-06-2010 at 03:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread