+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Does watching DWTS make you want to take dancing lessons?

  1. #1
    Student of Life Tin Frizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    537

    Does watching DWTS make you want to take dancing lessons?

    I do have a question if anyone would not mind answering. Do you think that an average viewer would be more apt to take up dancing after seeing someone who has no former training dance or the dancer with training?
    I'm really curious about this
    It's got to be love.

  2. #2
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    72

    Re: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Frizzy;3754335;
    I do have a question if anyone would not mind answering. Do you think that an average viewer would be more apt to take up dancing after seeing someone who has no former training dance or the dancer with training?
    I'm really curious about this
    Probably not the average viewer, but numerous interviews with dance school proprietors indicate many are seeing an uptick in people asking for lessons.

  3. #3
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,913

    Re: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Frizzy;3754335;
    I do have a question if anyone would not mind answering. Do you think that an average viewer would be more apt to take up dancing after seeing someone who has no former training dance or the dancer with training?
    I'm really curious about this
    I think you are asking something along the line of who would inspire the average viewer to take up dancing - one of the show's regular pros, someone like Mya with years of dancing/choreographic experience, or someone like Kelly or Joanna who started from scratch and have progressed into pretty decent "social" dancers?

    I believe that most people are realistic enough to understand that taking lessons as an adult will more likely produce the results that Kelly and JoAnna have obtained rather than to produce the skill of a professional dancer; therefore, I think the average viewer would be more apt to take up dancing after seeing someone who has no former training with the hopes that if that person can do it, then the average viewer can do it as well.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

  4. #4
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    72

    Re: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3754382;
    I think you are asking something along the line of who would inspire the average viewer to take up dancing - one of the show's regular pros, someone like Mya with years of dancing/choreographic experience, or someone like Kelly or Joanna who started from scratch and have progressed into pretty decent "social" dancers?

    I believe that most people are realistic enough to understand that taking lessons as an adult will more likely produce the results that Kelly and JoAnna have obtained rather than to produce the skill of a professional dancer; therefore, I think the average viewer would be more apt to take up dancing after seeing someone who has no former training with the hopes that if that person can do it, then the average viewer can do it as well.
    You have a good point that people like Kelly or Joanna would probably inspire average people more than pros or near-pros. But the OP specifically asked whether contestants with no prior dance experience would inspire the average viewer to take up dancing, so I don't think he was asking for a comparison.

    I am reminded of Emmitt Smith's comment that he didn't learn to dance, he learned routines.

    Certainly it's made guys, in particular, more open to learning to dance, which they previously may have thought was sissy. Any regular watcher has to have new respect for the physical challenge. Maurice Green argued against dancing becoming an Olympic sport until he did the show. He now strongly believes it should be. And Anna Demidova was not entirely joking when she said if dancing was easy they would call it football.

    But I doubt the 'average viewer' would be inclined to take up dancing, period. Some percentage, of course, but nowhere close to half of the show's 17 or 18 million viewers. For most, imo, it's entertainment, or, as one ad put it, "If I don't get on my lucky couch my team might not win."

  5. #5
    Student of Life Tin Frizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    537

    Re: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

    I was asking along the lines of what Bloomers answered, thank-you bloomers. I myself have thought about taking up dancing but am afraid of being laughed at because of my 2 left feet. I've seen how much weight some have lost and some muscle tone gained from them dancing. A local rec center sometimes offers swing, two-step, cha-cha and other dances to learn. While I'll by no means gain the level of acheivement these stars have, I would love to try and learn. It seems like fun, now I only have to talk my hubby into it. Wish me luck Thanks
    Oh and I wish that local dance studio would advertise during DWTS it would make it easier to find one if you wanted pro's teaching you.
    It's got to be love.

  6. #6
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,913

    Re: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Frizzy;3754720;
    I was asking along the lines of what Bloomers answered, thank-you bloomers. I myself have thought about taking up dancing but am afraid of being laughed at because of my 2 left feet. I've seen how much weight some have lost and some muscle tone gained from them dancing. A local rec center sometimes offers swing, two-step, cha-cha and other dances to learn. While I'll by no means gain the level of acheivement these stars have, I would love to try and learn. It seems like fun, now I only have to talk my hubby into it. Wish me luck Thanks
    Oh and I wish that local dance studio would advertise during DWTS it would make it easier to find one if you wanted pro's teaching you.

    While I was involved in varying forms of dance throughout the first couple of years of college, I never had any ballroom. If I had a chance to take a local course of some type, I would do it and not worry about what I looked like! It would be fun and, yes, it would be very good ( and certainly fun) exercise to boot.

    I wanted to say while I was at it, that I am sorry about your dog. I don't know any of the particulars, but he certainly wasn't very old, and I can see how that was very upsetting for all of the Bulldog fans.

    ETA to add that I would go without hubby if he doesn't want to go. I am sure that there is another lone person floating around in the group who needs a partner. It certainly isn't like you would be unfaithful or anything.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

  7. #7
    FORT Fogey Cerese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

    My husband and I took up ballroom dancing about 3 yrs ago - and we look nothing like any of the contestants on the show. The main problem is remembering the sequence and of course we don't practice 6 hours a day so that doesn't help. But we have so much fun and 3 yrs ago we were too embarrassed to try anything in front of others but now we get out there on the floor and if we miss a step or two - we just stop and re start - and it really is a lot of fun - and romantic too ! As we go along we pick up things and eventually the steps all come together and look ok. My feeling would be that it takes a tremendous amount of time and effort to produce the results of even the ones who have been eliminated weeks ago.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.