+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 252

Thread: 11/17 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #171
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,046

    Re: 11/17 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Brasdway--thanks. Sometimes when I watch the entertainment shows--all three of them--right in a row and on top of that the show itself I can't always remember where I saw what.

  2. #172
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    30

    Re: 11/17 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Well Melissa was still looking good. I didn't recognize her at first.

    People shouldn't hate Mya for being a good dancer. I was rooting for Joanna but Mya is clearly better. Her solo was ridiculous. I can't imagine a pro dancer doing much better.

    I'm disappointed that Joanna isn't in the finals. She is the only one capable of outperforming Mya or even making it close.

    I have to disagree with the poster who thinks African Americans are the ones taking Mya to the finals. I think many people vote just buy who they think is best. The problem Joanna had is since Mya is clearly the best she gets those votes. Everyone else is getting fan votes.

    Plus lets not forget that Mya also has fans. Its not like she is some unknown. She still extremely popular. Maybe she not a headliner like she was years ago. Many 20 somethings will know Mya before they know Donny or even Kelly.

    Anyway I think its kind of cray to think African Americans are keeping Mya around. I could easily say its just over weight white chicks that keep Kelly around.

  3. #173
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963

    Re: 11/17 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by tmansback;3753226;
    Well Melissa was still looking good. I didn't recognize her at first.

    People shouldn't hate Mya for being a good dancer. I was rooting for Joanna but Mya is clearly better. Her solo was ridiculous. I can't imagine a pro dancer doing much better.

    I'm disappointed that Joanna isn't in the finals. She is the only one capable of outperforming Mya or even making it close.

    I have to disagree with the poster who thinks African Americans are the ones taking Mya to the finals. I think many people vote just buy who they think is best. The problem Joanna had is since Mya is clearly the best she gets those votes. Everyone else is getting fan votes.

    Plus lets not forget that Mya also has fans. Its not like she is some unknown. She still extremely popular. Maybe she not a headliner like she was years ago. Many 20 somethings will know Mya before they know Donny or even Kelly.

    Anyway I think its kind of cray to think African Americans are keeping Mya around. I could easily say its just over weight white chicks that keep Kelly around.
    1) I think it's kind of crazy that some people keep ignoring why people "hate" Mya. It isn't because she's a good dancer. Most people on here have openly admitted that she's a fabulous dancer.

    2) I also think it's kind of crazy that some people still insist on calling Kelly an "overweight white chick." Look beyond the fact that she she has a round face and you'd find that she's not really overweight at all.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  4. #174
    FORT Fogey albean99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,285

    Re: 11/17 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by BTW;3752888;
    You're kidding! Only thing I wanted to see during that segment was the Bee Gees. When I saw how bad they look now, I switched the channel. I don't understand the favortism Melissa gets in comparison to numerous other past contestents. who could have (and should have) easily filled her spot.
    Other than this short dance what favoritism has Melissa had? She does have a lot of fans and therefore is a good choice plus not many would be able to jump in and do a dance with only a couple of days of practicing. I enjoyed seeing her and don't see how it hurt anyone by having her on. For me, I wouldn't have watched last season at all if she wasn't on.

  5. #175
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,046

    Re: 11/17 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3753188;
    Brasdway--thanks. Sometimes when I watch the entertainment shows--all three of them--right in a row and on top of that the show itself I can't always remember where I saw what.

    Broadway--my apologies for the typo of your name. This thank you is meant for you.

  6. #176
    East Coaster Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,234

    Re: 11/17 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by tmansback;3753226;
    Well Melissa was still looking good. I didn't recognize her at first.

    People shouldn't hate Mya for being a good dancer. I was rooting for Joanna but Mya is clearly better. Her solo was ridiculous. I can't imagine a pro dancer doing much better.

    I'm disappointed that Joanna isn't in the finals. She is the only one capable of outperforming Mya or even making it close.

    I have to disagree with the poster who thinks African Americans are the ones taking Mya to the finals. I think many people vote just buy who they think is best. The problem Joanna had is since Mya is clearly the best she gets those votes. Everyone else is getting fan votes.

    Plus lets not forget that Mya also has fans. Its not like she is some unknown. She still extremely popular. Maybe she not a headliner like she was years ago. Many 20 somethings will know Mya before they know Donny or even Kelly.

    Anyway I think its kind of cray to think African Americans are keeping Mya around. I could easily say its just over weight white chicks that keep Kelly around.
    According to SDL's post, I don't fall into the right demographics at all. As a matter of fact I knew next to nothing about Mya before DWTS as oppose to knowing A LOT about Donny ( even going to one of his concerts). As much as I like Donny and as good as he has performed, his dancing skills are nowhere near Mya's, experience or not, she's got the talent. I love watching Mya and Dmitry dance, they just flow so well together IMO, therefore I'm voting for them. I'm not following the herd as it was suggested before and I'm not voting according to race. I'ts a dancing competition and I'm voting for the ones I think are the best dancers.

  7. #177
    sdl
    sdl is offline
    FORT Fogey sdl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    houston
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,657

    Re: 11/17 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3753114;
    SDL--What a fascinating post on demographics! Can you let us know the source? (If it's not too personal etc). As always thanks for your many contributions here.
    *********
    I have a good friend at the network. After several seasons, I don't think that's a big secret anymore.
    Sometimes he/she ("they") calls me to bitch about their job. Sometimes they tell me who is going home that night. Sometimes I call them because my kids are making me crazy and I want to talk. We are friends.
    But the most interesting conversations are when they tell me about the business that goes on behind the scenes. Like when Melissa R. didn't want to do the ATFR show, and they had to negotiate it to get her there. Or the business reason for bringing in 16 couples this year. Or the dollar value of each point this show slips in the ratings. Or who is a pain in the rear behind the scenes. I love these conversations because they take me away from my everyday stress.
    My friend told me it was Donny, Mya and Kelly well before the vote or even the performances. They explained the logic, which I posted a couple of days ago, and sent me a detailed demographic breakdown on this show's viewers to demonstrate what they were saying.
    I'm not saying that the show is rigged, but they sure know who their audience is and cater to them. It's just good business.

  8. #178
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    30

    Re: 11/17 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3753251;
    1) I think it's kind of crazy that some people keep ignoring why people "hate" Mya. It isn't because she's a good dancer. Most people on here have openly admitted that she's a fabulous dancer.

    2) I also think it's kind of crazy that some people still insist on calling Kelly an "overweight white chick." Look beyond the fact that she she has a round face and you'd find that she's not really overweight at all.
    Based on what. Your definition. Forgetting the weight st from DWTS. Kelly has spent most of her time in the spot light fighting weight issues. She definitely appeals to someone. Not that I dislike Kelly. She seems like a very nice girl. If we can somehow come to some kind of conclusion that Mya is getting the African American vote. I'm just wondering why not say the same about Kelly. You think Kelly had a bigger fan base going into DWTS than Mya.


    Again sdl i just think that is ridiculous. Just because you watch the show doesn't mean your voting. I don't think African Americans are more aggressively voting for Mya. I'm African American. If all the people on the show that would have people block voting for them it wouldn't be Mya.

  9. #179
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963

    Re: 11/17 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by tmansback;3753321;
    Based on what. Your definition. Forgetting the weight st from DWTS. Kelly has spent most of her time in the spot light fighting weight issues. She definitely appeals to someone. Not that I dislike Kelly. She seems like a very nice girl. If we can somehow come to some kind of conclusion that Mya is getting the African American vote. I'm just wondering why not say the same about Kelly. You think Kelly had a bigger fan base going into DWTS than Mya.
    Based upon appearances and her size, tmansback, Kelly is NOT overweight. Yes, she has had weight issues over the last several years because of her drinking and drug problems... but she didn't come on this show as an "overweight white chick" and she certainly isn't one today. Your comparison was flawed. If you had tried to say that Kelly was pulling all of the youth vote (as I believe sdl did..) then I wouldn't have objected to your comparison.


    If all the people on the show that would have people block voting for them it wouldn't be Mya.
    WHAT? Why not? Why would everyone else on the show get a block voting group but not Mya? That makes absolutely zero sense.

    A quick glance at a number of different websites and message boards would clearly tell you that you are absolutely incorrect. There is a HUGE outcry out there that Laila Ali, Mel B, and Lil Kim got "screwed" because they are black.. and there is blatant determination to right that alleged wrong.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  10. #180
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: 11/17 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by tmansback;3753226;
    People shouldn't hate Mya for being a good dancer. I was rooting for Joanna but Mya is clearly better. Her solo was ridiculous. I can't imagine a pro dancer doing much better.
    *ahem* Mya is a pro dancer. She dances (and sings, sort of) for a living. That is what people are objecting to. Let's say that next season Julianne Hough came back as a competitor (she's a singer, ya know), and partnered up with, say, Mark Ballas. I think that the audience would be outraged*, and rightfully so. And so goes the feeling for Mya.

    Plus, while she's proficient in her dance, she is not at all interesting to watch. And her singing? Yikes!

    *With one exception - you know who you are .
    Last edited by Rattus; 11-19-2009 at 09:12 AM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.