+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 11/03 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/03 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

ABC knows who the popular pros are. For some reason that baffles me Derrik is popular. He annoys the heck out of me with all the mugging and overconfidence. They also know that Dimitry and Mark have huge following. So they put the dancers they want to stay on the show with their most popular dancers. There is a reason that certain dancers get stinkers every season. This is why I do not even feel interested this year. My favorite dancers are Edyta, Tony, Kym, and Alec. Edyta never gets anyone to work with, Alec always gets the uncoordinated tall women, and Tony gets the older women. Kym is all that is keeping me interested, and Donny by default.

For me when the Houghs and Ballas took over, it went downhill.

Wish all 3 judges would stop playing favorites.

The pros should pick celebs names out of a hat to see who their partner will be, that would be fair to everyone.
    Last edited by graycat11; 11-05-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3744042;
    Don't encourage him! I think he needs to go over to SYTYCD and watch that lady judge One time with her, and he be in love with Carrie Anne.

I have decided that for some reason known maybe only to her Carrie Ann has decided that the obsession with the lifts -even when they aren't there- is to be part of her schtick.

Speaking of "lifts", I thought Bruno was going to lift right off and float away the other night. Can he get anymore way out there?
    Can you imagine a judging panel of CA, Mary, and Paula? I saw Mary's Fred Flintstone impression on The Soup and that's reason enough to never think of tuning into SYTYCD. I guess CA knows that the lift thing is all she has going for her, and the show knows how annoying it is for all involved. It's not going away.

ABC knows who the popular pros are. For some reason that baffles me Derrik is popular. He annoys the heck out of me with all the mugging and overconfidence. They also know that Dimitry and Mark have huge following. So they put the dancers they want to stay on the show with their most popular dancers. There is a reason that certain dancers get stinkers every season. This is why I do not even feel interested this year. My favorite dancers are Edyta, Tony, Kym, and Alec. Edyta never gets anyone to work with, Alec always gets the uncoordinated tall women, and Tony gets the older women. Kym is all that is keeping me interested, and Donny by default.

For me when the Houghs and Ballas took over, it went downhill.
    Derek's worst cases with his partners have been bad nerves, snippy about hips with the rumba, or not having a big fan base. He's never had a Macy Gray, Josie Maran type challenge. Mark may have had Kim K., but Mark only seems gracious when he has a contender and besides, that was one time. I can understand Derek's popularity. I'm not as convinced Mark is as popular as I once thought, and I think they're trying to pretend Dmitry is that popular. Maybe he'll be taking over the token Hough/Ballas spot when they go on their bad lip synching world tour. But spread the wealth. Especially to poor Jonathan. I'd like to tell ABC, as crazy as it may sound to them, not everyone is a fan of Derek, Mark, and Dmitry and would like to see other pros get a chance.

I happen to like Derek, principally because I think he's one of the best male dancers on the show. His mugging doesn't bother me nearly as much as Mark's does. After seeing Mark's father, I understand it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3743458;
    I was on the ABC Board on a rather serious thread (surprise, surprise) where people with professional backgrounds were discussing different aspects of the show. One of the posters who showed quite a bit of technical knowledge had worked for ABC in the advertising/public relations department. She had already come at the advertising much the same as SDL has, and she went further into how and why focus is centered on certain people. When the issue of whether the voting is a straight shot came up, this poster very calmly answered that this was an entertainment show, and that the producers "reserved" the right to insure certain outcomes in order to produce the most entertaining package ( or something very similar). When questioned further, she said that it was "in the fine print". Someone else verified it.
    Now, when Shawn's contract was made public last season, I waded through the whole thing, and sure enough, the contract in a bunch of legalese does insure that the contestant understands that the show and is producers has the sole right over results.

Again... I point you to the fact that unlike American Idol, we never hear DWTS announce that any outside firm has verified the results.
    If I were a betting person, I would lay money that is not due to the fact that the show or its producers do not have the funds to pay an accounting firm to verify their results.
    Then why have America vote for their supposed favorite or say you the viewer helps decide who stays and who goes? It's very deceptive. Glad I haven't voted this season and now know why my votes did not count last season. This is almost like pulling the curtain back and exposing Oz as a man behind the curtain controlling everything. I somehow feel like I'm a part of some experiment.
    It's got to be love.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3744110;
    Can you imagine a judging panel of CA, Mary, and Paula? I saw Mary's Fred Flintstone impression on The Soup and that's reason enough to never think of tuning into SYTYCD. I guess CA knows that the lift thing is all she has going for her, and the show knows how annoying it is for all involved. It's not going away.

Derek's worst cases with his partners have been bad nerves, snippy about hips with the rumba, or not having a big fan base. He's never had a Macy Gray, Josie Maran type challenge. Mark may have had Kim K., but Mark only seems gracious when he has a contender and besides, that was one time. I can understand Derek's popularity. I'm not as convinced Mark is as popular as I once thought, and I think they're trying to pretend Dmitry is that popular. Maybe he'll be taking over the token Hough/Ballas spot when they go on their bad lip synching world tour. But spread the wealth. Especially to poor Jonathan. I'd like to tell ABC, as crazy as it may sound to them, not everyone is a fan of Derek, Mark, and Dmitry and would like to see other pros get a chance.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I had not seen SYTYCD; therefore, Dmitry was basically an unknown to me. My impression from this board was that he was considered Oh! so good-looking and a fabulous dancer. He is fairly hunking looking, and from what I can tell, he is a very good dancer as well; however, from his pairing with Mya, I have not seen any personal charisma or old fashioned stage presence, if you will. Now that might be because she is hogging all of the camera time during rehearsal, and/or he is just content to stand back and let her run the show for and between the two of them, but I am having a hard time forming a good firm impression of him because he is figuratively standing behind her and not in a good way. It is apparent to me that she wears the pants, again so to speak, in that partnership, and it is difficult for me to see Dmitry for himself.

There is no getting around it. Derek is a fantastic choreographer. He is also an excellent dancer regardless of whether he mugs for the camera. However, Joanna looked better with Maks (who has never been a favorite of mine because of his attitude) when they danced.

Mark and Derek "handle" younger women better. Perhaps it is time for both of them to try and see how well they do with a 50 or 60 year old woman who has not had dance as a primary factor in her career or it has been maybe 20 years since it was part of her career.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Sadly, I think the chances of that are slim and none, and slim just left town........

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3744042;
    Don't encourage him! I think he needs to go over to SYTYCD and watch that lady judge.
    Over the past 3 days, I have blasted in no uncertain terms: Carrie Ann, Aaron, Mya, DialIdol, the band, Mark Ballas, ABC, the BBC, and the list goes on.
    I've been a bit under the weather and I think it made me grumpy and overly harsh.......at least that's what I thought. So I was prepared to post an apology. Until now.
    I was just invited to the home of a British couple for "Guy Fawkes Night." I had no idea what that was, so I googled it. Guy Fawkes was a "guy" (this is where the word comes from) who planned to blow up Parliament in 1605 but got caught and failed. So he basically did nothing to hurt anyone.
    Nevertheless, for the last Four Hundred and Four Years (404 YEARS), the Brits have been getting together every November 5 to light giant bonfires and burn the "Guy" in effigy. They laugh and drink, shoot off fireworks, and throw a fake human body onto a huge bonfire, then cheer like wild maniacs.
    No more apologies from this grouch.
    I think Carrie Ann is getting off waaay too easy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3744158;
    Over the past 3 days, I have blasted in no uncertain terms: Carrie Ann, Aaron, Mya, DialIdol, the band, Mark Ballas, ABC, the BBC, and the list goes on.
    I've been a bit under the weather and I think it made me grumpy and overly harsh.......at least that's what I thought. So I was prepared to post an apology. Until now.
    I was just invited to the home of a British couple for "Guy Fawkes Night." I had no idea what that was, so I googled it. Guy Fawkes was a "guy" (this is where the word comes from) who planned to blow up Parliament in 1605 but got caught and failed. So he basically did nothing to hurt anyone.
    Nevertheless, for the last Four Hundred and Four Years (404 YEARS), the Brits have been getting together every November 5 to light giant bonfires and burn the "Guy" in effigy. They laugh and drink, shoot off fireworks, and throw a fake human body onto a huge bonfire, then cheer like wild maniacs.
    No more apologies from this grouch.
    I think Carrie Ann is getting off waaay too easy.
    Awe, shucks! I'm just messin' with you. As for the Brits, that doesn't surprise me one bit. Check the history of London Tower. They haven't always been Tea and Crumpets lovely and proper.... They've got some mean and messy history. At least "Guy" got hung in effigy. Poor old " 'enry's wives" got the ax because they couldn't deliver him the son that he could not impregnate them with ( sorry for ending the sentence with a preposition). Isn't that a heck of a note? It's his fault, but they lose their heads over it?
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3743877;
    I didn't see it. I had no idea what she was talking about.

Personally, I don't consider it a lift when the male is swinging the female around with her legs pointed down and out and the feet come off the ground for a second. If she wants to count that, she better be counting the assisted cartwheels as a lift or when they do the move where the guy grabs the shoulders and jumps over the dancers head. All assisted. All feet off the ground. THAT'S what annoys me most with CA...she is so NOT consistant.
    Oh my goodness, I hadn't even thought of all those assisted feet-off-the-ground lifts. You are absolutely right!!! Someone needs to write CA and tell her, not that she would listen but you have such an excellent point!

+ Reply to Thread