+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 11/03 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/03 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybear;3743613;
    I don't like that the judges can save a couple from elimination. I don't like Aaron and really looked forward to him leaving. He's consistently in the bottom even when his scores are high. Why can't the judges take the hint that America doesn't enjoy watching the kid dance?

Also, I want Joanna gone. I'll be so irritated if Derek wins this year.

I hate how the judges have obvious favorites.

I wanted Mark and lacey in the final three. I'm really dissapointed.

Maybe the judges are intent on teaching fans a lesson about dance. On Tuesday, Bruno pretty much told fans that they were nuts in their voting.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3743719;
    Maybe the judges are intent on teaching fans a lesson about dance. On Tuesday, Bruno pretty much told fans that they were nuts in their voting.
    So did Len on the most recent Strictly Come Dancing. Can't blame either of them.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3743719;
    If they're trying to teach a lesson, no one is getting the memo. Not everyone agrees with them about what they consider the best dance, most people believe this was a ploy to keep who they wanted in the competition over keeping a better dancer, and the vast majority agree CA and Bruno have no business judging a ballroom dance show in the first place (including those involved with the show). Across the web a lot of people think last night was a farce, and that it's a farce that Joanna has made it this far, and that I'm not the only one who thinks they have a love affair with Derek. If it were really about voting for the best dancer, CA and Bruno wouldn't be here, people like Chuck, Louie, Cloris, and Heather Mills wouldn't get cast, and the fans probably wouldn't be allowed to vote, but then it'd be like the PBS Ballroom special and not as successful. Take away fan participation from shows like this and it'd probably lose ratings even faster. Besides, its not like Mark was the worst dancer left in the competition. Obviously the fans are voting loud and clear, sorry the judges don't like why we're voting the way we are. Kelly may not be the best dancer, but she entertains me a heck of a lot more than Joanna, Mya, and Aaron, and is having to work harder than them because it isn't as natural.

I think the judges were nuts to give Aaron 2 10's and that he lucked out in getting to pretty much repeat his routine from the night before. He's been in the bottom 2 twice before, it's obvious America doesn't like him as much as Kelly and that the show won't sacrifice Mya or Derek. I don't need the judges to tell me how to vote, or who the best dancer is, because that's all going to be a matter of opinion.

Also, I want Joanna gone. I'll be so irritated if Derek wins this year.

I hate how the judges have obvious favorites.

I wanted Mark and lacey in the final three. I'm really dissapointed.
    At this point I want either Donny or Kelly to win. If I had to pick someone else, it'd be Mya, but I could honestly care less. I don't want Aaron to win by any stretch, or Derek, but what a fitting end. This season is the pits and I'm just ready for it to be over. If Derek wins and returns next season, hopefully he and his little buddy get someone that is difficult, can't dance, and who the judges can't just pass through.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-04-2009 at 11:00 PM.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3743731;
    If they're trying to teach a lesson, no one is getting the memo. Not everyone agrees with them about what they consider the best dance, most people believe this was a ploy to keep who they wanted in the competition over keeping a better dancer, and the vast majority agree CA and Bruno have no business judging a ballroom dance show in the first place. Across the web a lot of people think last night was a farce, and that it's a farce that Joanna has made it this far, and that I'm not the only one who thinks they have a love affair with Derek. If it were really about voting for the best dancer, they wouldn't be here, people like Chuck, Louie, Cloris, and Heather Mills wouldn't get cast, and the fans probably wouldn't be allowed to vote, but then it'd be like the PBS Ballroom special and not as successful. Take away fan participation from shows like this and it'd probably lose ratings even faster. Besides, its not like Mark was the worst dancer left in the competition.

I think the judges were nuts to give Aaron 2 10's and that he lucked out in getting to pretty much repeat his routine from the night before. He's been in the bottom 2 twice before, it's obvious America doesn't like him as much as Kelly and that the show won't sacrifice Mya or Derek. I don't need the judges to tell me how to vote, or who the best dancer is, because that's all going to be a matter of opinion.
    I don't disagree with anything you've said (other than we disagree about Joanna - when one of the paparazzi asked Len outside a restaurant who he was most impressed with that night, Len named Joanna, saying he thought she was fantastic, which I agree with - and btw I never bother leaving a comment on the YouTube videos and other websites knocking Joanna, and I know I'm not alone), but the job of the judges is to judge and it's only natural they would be frustrated by better dancers being in the bottom two. I'd worry more if they said hey, it doesn't matter.

But the concept of the show has always been vote for your favorites, not the best, and they know and accept that. It's a natural tension/dynamic.

As far as casting people like Cloris and Heather Mills, the show loves to include some surprises, even wtf's. It's fine. The one misstep the show seems to have acknowledged this season - at least Tom Bergeron expressed it as a mistake - was to cast too many celebrities requiring too many bloodbaths in double eliminations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo47;3743248;
    I haven't gone through this entire thread, but am I the only one who thought Mark and Derek were lip synching?
    They were absolutely lip synching, which makes their song even more pathetic! It was pre-recorded, and it still was incomprehensible and totally sucked!
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Regular

P.S. I've seen a number of comments saying Joanna seems to have too high a opinion of her dancing, which would be hilarious if it weren't so far from the truth. If anything, it's the opposite. Derek said in a radio interview this week that he told her the first week he practiced with her that he thought they'd be out the first two weeks, and she (charmingly) said on Chelsie Lately,

"Every week we have a new dance, and poor Derek, he's like 'Ohmigosh, here we go again!' 'cause it's relearning steps and like the first or second day when he's showing me the steps it's like, 'Oh boy!' Like it's really bad. And he gets a little frustrated with me and it probably takes, you know, the third day where I actually get it and start moving my hips the right way or getting the steps right. But it's difficult."

The wrong impression comes from the producers' packages where the script has her say things like 'I am going to be the mambo queen' or 'I don't know what is going through Derek's head, but if he can stay focused I know our rumba will rock.' Those are not her words but one of the story editors'. People are paid to come up with such lines. She certainly knows she has limitations and often says she is grateful Derek knows both her strengths and her weaknesses.

Anyone who follows her tweets knows how worried she is every week about some aspect of her routine. Last week she worried that she turned the wrong way in dress rehearsal after getting it right all week. Other weeks she has worried about her legs feeling weak and wobbly the morning of the show or messing up other things during dress rehearsal. All the celebrities are in the same boat, and so I have compassion for all of them. It's so easy to sit on our rears and criticize the smallest flaws when their nerves are through the roof. As Bruno has said, "You try it."

I know her limitations, too, and wouldn't even bother defending her except for all the near-hate I am seeing. To each his own, but it just strikes me as unfair. There is another celebrity this season I don't care for at all, but nobody will ever know it from anything I post. Regardless of who wins, I won't get upset or frustrated and it won't ruin my life.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3743743;
    I don't disagree with anything you've said (other than we disagree about Joanna - when one of the paparazzi asked Len outside a restaurant who he was most impressed with that night, Len named Joanna, saying he thought she was fantastic, which I agree with - and btw I never bother leaving a comment on the YouTube videos and other websites knocking Joanna, and I know I'm not alone), but the job of the judges is to judge and it's only natural they would be frustrated by better dancers being in the bottom two. I'd worry more if they said hey, it doesn't matter.

But the concept of the show has always been vote for your favorites, not the best, and they know and accept that. It's a natural tension/dynamic.

As far as casting people like Cloris and Heather Mills, the show loves to include some surprises, even wtf's. It's fine. The one misstep the show seems to have acknowledged this season - at least Tom Bergeron expressed it as a mistake - was to cast too many celebrities requiring too many bloodbaths in double eliminations.
    I respect you're a Joanna fan. I just find her boring to watch. In her defense, I'm just over Derek and the love fascination the show has with him. Whether that really comes into play with the show and judges I can't prove, but it seems like Derek is the one getting the praise and approval and love in whatever duo he's in. I loved her pairing with Maks, however. Even though I came in not liking Joanna because of a pre-show bias, I can overlook that and keep an open mind if the person in question completely wows me like I never expected (Warren Sapp is an example here). I like the best of both worlds, someone who's a good dancer that isn't an out and out ringer, and who can be entertaining and fun to root for.

As I mentioned I can get frustrated with how the voting happens. But the judges already get their say with their scores, and America should get its say, and combined that person should go home. In the end, between CA obsessing over lifts and calling people up to the judges table for kisses and running onto the floor to give spankings, and Bruno getting into fake make outs and dancing on the table, it's hard to take it seriously that they could even care about the best dancer being in the bottom. Len is really the only one whose opinion I respect and listen to on that panel. However, in the end, it's all about popularity, as its always been, and the prize is a mirror ball trophy that falls apart, a cash prize that isn't disclosed, and 15 minutes of fame.

Stunt casting I'm iffy on. In the case of Tom Delay, I think that was a bigger mistake than the 16 member cast, and it backfired on them. TV said the ratings actually went up when Delay was voted off. Heather Mills I didn't agree with because she doesn't seem famous for anything and only wanted to make a better impression of herself stateside. They'll always have the clunkers, the duds, that won't win but may win people over by their spirit. Ty Murray couldn't have made it as far as he did otherwise.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3743775;
    I respect you're a Joanna fan. I just find her boring to watch. In her defense, I'm just over Derek and the love fascination the show has with him. Whether that really comes into play with the show and judges I can't prove, but it seems like Derek is the one getting the praise and approval and love in whatever duo he's in. I loved her pairing with Maks, however. Even though I came in not liking Joanna because of a pre-show bias, I can overlook that and keep an open mind if the person in question completely wows me like I never expected (Warren Sapp is an example here). I like the best of both worlds, someone who's a good dancer that isn't an out and out ringer, and who can be entertaining and fun to root for.

As I mentioned I can get frustrated with how the voting happens. But the judges already get their say with their scores, and America should get its say, and combined that person should go home. In the end, between CA obsessing over lifts and calling people up to the judges table for kisses and running onto the floor to give spankings, and Bruno getting into fake make outs and dancing on the table, it's hard to take it seriously that they could even care about the best dancer being in the bottom. Len is really the only one whose opinion I respect and listen to on that panel. However, in the end, it's all about popularity, as its always been, and the prize is a mirror ball trophy that falls apart, a cash prize that isn't disclosed, and 15 minutes of fame.

Stunt casting I'm iffy on. In the case of Tom Delay, I think that was a bigger mistake than the 16 member cast, and it backfired on them. TV said the ratings actually went up when Delay was voted off. Heather Mills I didn't agree with because she doesn't seem famous for anything and only wanted to make a better impression of herself stateside. They'll always have the clunkers, the duds, that won't win but may win people over by their spirit. Ty Murray couldn't have made it as far as he did otherwise.
    Thank you. Good points all. Apparently the only reason we have been spared from seeing Bruce Jenner on the the show is that his good buddy Conrad Green told him he'd already done too many reality shows too recently. (Gosh, I hope the time hasn't run out on that moratorium; it's been a while.)

From Shawn Johnson's contract, and from what Joanna said on Chelsea Lately, it appears there is no cash prize for winning the mirrorball trophy. All three finalists get the same amount of money simply because they lasted that additional week. For those who haven't seen the contract, the weekly pay is on a sliding scale: Flat fee up to and including the first 2 weeks, then $5,000/a week for a couple of weeks, then $10,000/week for a couple more weeks, then $20,000/week at the end. If I remember correctly.

It was ironic that Carrie Ann was so upset over Natalie going home when it was her knocking off a point for what I would call a non-lift that landed her at the bottom. Is she even aware of that? And nobody I know saw the lift that she spanked the pro dancers for after Team Tango. If anyone saw it, please advise.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3743786;
    It was ironic that Carrie Ann was so upset over Natalie going home when it was her knocking off a point for what I would call a non-lift that landed her at the bottom. Is she even aware of that? And nobody I know saw the lift that she spanked the pro dancers for after Team Tango. If anyone saw it, please advise.
    For me, the single worst thing about the show is Carrie Ann. It is pretty hard for me to truly dislike someone, especially someone I don't even know, but I can definitely say that she gets on my last nerve.
    When she brought up the stupid lift thing with Team Tango, I almost lost my mind. Doesn't she know how cliche' that has become and how she is being mocked as the only judge who ever brings it up - ALWAYS brings it up - even when she's wrong?
    She needs to read the message boards and recalibrate. ABC needs to do some polling and discover that she is a complete turn off. She is a ratings problem.
    Her "woohoo" squealing, high fiving, calling people up the the table, fan girl act is tired. I honestly can't stand her and try to tune her out.
    Just a step behind her, Bruno needs to drop the weird metaphorical references he thinks are colorful, but are actually just annoying. Everyone knows you're gay Bruno, so you don't have to flame it up on every show. He is actually capable (unlike CA) of making an intelligent comment now and then, and I wish he would simply try doing that.
    The judges on American Idol, for example, often play favorites and bicker among themselves, but they don't make complete fools of themselves trying to be the show. They act stupid at times, but generally practice the minimum level of behavior befitting a judge. And they don't get to vote, which is key.
    I can't even begin to break down what I like or don't like about the contestants on DWTS because I'm so distracted by the ridiculous, self indulgent behavior from 2 of the judges.
    I should just leave it at that, but I'm so serious about how much CA grosses me out that I have to continue. Words to describe Carrie Ann:
    unqualified
    unattractive
    one dimensional
    irritating
    conceited
    biased
    wrong headed
    mouthy
    loud
    buzz killer
    loser
    zero
    uncool
    vomit inducing
    has no fans
    10 pounds of crap in a 3 pound bag
    worst of a bad lot
    and without this show, jobless

FORT Newbie

Carrie Ann completely lost the last iota of my respect last season. She devoted much of one of her later blogs to completely and gratuitously ripping Melissa apart. I was merely expecting some behind the scenes info similar to what she shared in her other blog articles.

My guess is she was afraid Melissa might win after so many people temporarilly rallied to Melissa's support after her injury. I think Carrie Ann was also dismayed by Little Kim's elimination before Ty and Melissa.

My impression is that the judges on DWTS either don't have access to how the fans are voting or don't look at the information.

Carrie Ann always seems so surprised that when the judges give a lower than usual or than merited score to talented dancer with a relatively small fan base that there is a strong possibility that the dancer might leave.

I'm not sure why Carrie Ann feels a need to be a spokesperson for the judges on controversial boots. And I certainly don't want to go into her self-appointed lift cop role.

I'm not sure whose bright idea it was to do the 2 back-to-back double eliminations so late in the season. While the judges pick the contestants to be eliminated on SYTYCD, they only do that in the first half of the season. On DWTS, the judges didn't eliminate candidates until the season was half over.

+ Reply to Thread