+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627

Thread: 10/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

In the midst of all of the hullabalu over Gilles, Shawn, and Melissa last season, I spent considerable time on the ABC board (as well as on here). You had better believe that there are literally hundreds over there who are die hard DWTS fans for their favorite PRO first ( and then whoever the star is that is partnered with the pro. They have huge threads going for that pro, and they fight each other bitterly over why their pro is the best and should win ( everytime).
    Do I think others should get a chance to win? Heck yes! If that means that young Mark or Derek gets a 50, 60, or 70 year old woman, than so be it. It would be much more of a challenge to take one of those ladies to the finals than a model or an Olympic champion. Likewise, when (if) Julianne comes back, it will be a challenge to her as well if she is given a much older man than Apolo or Helios(?) to try to take to the finals.

As far as this season goes, Derek again has the young woman with a lot of looks and potential; however, she does have it, and if they win, then they win. At least Joanna isn't a professional dancer, and she has shown much improvement from the beginning.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3737583;
    I can't say I don't root for the pro. Enough to vote for them? Well, I haven't done that solely yet. But I'm ready to see Maks, Kym, Edyta, Anna T., Jonathan, and Tony finally take home the trophy. Heck, give Jonathan someone to get him past the first elimination! Derek and Mark have never had a partner they had to struggle with. Sure, Mark had Kim K. But when you put their pros and partners side by side, it's pretty lopsided. I believe Derek has a huge fan base, and believe that that is the only reason Joanna is still here. Did anyone know who she was before the show? Unless you heard of her from Superstars. But it's not like she's a huge known model. Of course I can't prove that. I also can't prove the judges have a love obsession with Derek and would give a broom a 10 if Derek danced with it. For me, the best dancer can be a bore. If I were having to vote for the best dancer, entertainment value aside, it'd be Mya. And if I had to vote for her, I probably wouldn't vote Even the judges give high scores or low scores for entertainment value (or lack of). I'm enjoying Kelly, Donny, and Louie. The rest? Eh.
    Not disagreeing with you with regard to Joanna, but just wanted to say that, unless you saw the SATC movie, you didn't know who Gilles Marini was at the beginning of last season either (I didn't). But I came to love him, based on his dancing and, more importantly, his personality. This season so far, Mark is doing the same for me - didn't really know who he was, but am loving him. And no, he is not the dancer Gilles was and probably won't make it to the finals (Louie is another one who is developing the fan base based on his personality). But I think Joanna could have developed a fan base this season, if she had the personality. She definitely has the dancing - but there is something about her that is not endearing. So anyway, just a long, babbling way to say that I don't think the lack of knowledge as to who someone is is necessarily a detriment to that person, if they can dance and have the personality.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;3737706;
    Not disagreeing with you with regard to Joanna, but just wanted to say that, unless you saw the SATC movie, you didn't know who Gilles Marini was at the beginning of last season either (I didn't). But I came to love him, based on his dancing and, more importantly, his personality. This season so far, Mark is doing the same for me - didn't really know who he was, but am loving him. And no, he is not the dancer Gilles was and probably won't make it to the finals (Louie is another one who is developing the fan base based on his personality). But I think Joanna could have developed a fan base this season, if she had the personality. She definitely has the dancing - but there is something about her that is not endearing. So anyway, just a long, babbling way to say that I don't think the lack of knowledge as to who someone is is necessarily a detriment to that person, if they can dance and have the personality.
    Fair enough, and a point I didn't think of (coming from a Gilles fan). However, I do think Derek's popularity plays a role in getting his pro far. Whereas I think others, even a semi-known pro, have to work harder to get recognized and win over the fan votes. I think Cheryl, even though I've heard she's the most popular female pro on the show, accomplishes this. She took people like Gilles, Maurice, and Cristian (and I still don't know what exactly he was famous for) to the end, or near end. Since I'm hard on Derek, I will say this could be applied to any pro. We really don't know who votes for what reasons, and if the pro is a factor or not. For all I know, some pros I think aren't popular could very well be extremely, just unlucky to be paired with a clunker or someone that no one likes. I guess for me, my issue wtih the show is Derek has the same types every season. I can't say that's his fault, unless it's in his contract that he either wins or makes it to a certain point each year so to make it believable he never gets a Cloris or a Macy. He's never had a partner to ever challenge him, and I'd say Joanna's biggest challenge is more she doesn't have the fan base. I don't think they'll win, however. I can't really say I think Joanna's a great dancer. Good, yes, but something about her seems off. However, I do find her boring on top of everything else.

Joanna and Derek are my faves this year. I hope they win the whole thing. They were steaming this week with that Mamba which said it ALL imo!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Voguerista;3738397;
    Joanna and Derek are my faves this year. I hope they win the whole thing. They were steaming this week with that Mamba which said it ALL imo!
    Same here, although I started out as neutral, with no clear favorites.

I think she must need magnesium or something, because she has tweeted several times before performances that her legs were shaky and she had drank nothing besides water. She said her nerves also make her wobbly, and being so thin she probably should eat more.

I am impressed with how good a sport she has shown herself to be, to take Derek's criticisms without argument. It looked to me like Derek caused her to stumble in practice by dancing so close to the faux stairs that she instinctively backed away, yet she didn't try to defend herself. I would have.

Derek said that during the mambo marathon, he looked down and saw Joanna shaking, which surprised him, but he realized she was in the moment and going with the crowd. It was great! If it was also her idea to twirl her skirt, particularly when Donny Osmond was busy with Derek and she was standing by herself, then I really have to hand it to her. She deserved that win. In my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3736952;
    I don't deny Karina's a fantastic dancer. It's everything else that makes me dislike her. I consider her probably the best female dancer on the show. But I don't like her attitude or personality off the show. And some of her antics on the show bug me as well.
    Karalott. I am so curious. what antics? I know a lot of people do not like her and because I do not read much about this show except the discussion threads I would love to know more.

Or can I find it in her thread? (if there is any?)

I am watching the show right now. Aaron and Karina. it felt like it were 2 girls dancing. sorry. a bit too femaly for my taste.

+ Reply to Thread