+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 10/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

sdl

Re: 10/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by french dip;3737418;
    There was no game on last night. Game 7 of the AL Finals wold have been on if needed.
    Thank you. I was jotting down notes at 7am and not paying close attention. Let me figure out what the lineup was last night and get the actual Nielsen numbers.
    I think everything else in my post is accurate.

ETA: yes, Nielsen reports 18.4 million viewers last night against weak competition.
    I have no idea why the guy was going on about the World Series (he talks fast and you can only imagine how closely I listen at 7am), or why I didn't catch it.
    But the math and conclusions are correct.
    Last edited by sdl; 10-27-2009 at 01:57 PM.

FORT Fogey

General thoughts:

Kelly's dance and costume were catchy, but while at times she was up to speed, at other times she seemed to drag and to lack energy. Overall, her jitterbug did not seem peppy enough to me. However, she still remains so very likable that it is going to be hard to see her go when her time naturally rolls around.

I truly think that Melissa is giving it everything that she has; however, she and Kelly just don't have natural dancers' bodies. Neither one of them is anywhere near even stocky; however, their backs and shoulders are soft with a doughy look rather than the sharply toned look that dancers who exercise constantly have. I believe that though there is nothing they can do about it, this factors in and influences the way that both the judges and the audience "view" the dance.

Mark, Aaron and Joanna continue to improve. I'm sorry for those who dislike these folks, but that is the way I see it. Joanna in particular was giving that mambo the what-for out there last night.

BTW, I am with whoever that was above who said the dismissal order looked a lot like the way the judges might be viewing the rest of the season - there might be a little variation with Donny around the top. He might possibly be in the top 3 rather than the top 5.

Donny continues to surprise me. Although I know he has been performing since the age 5, he is also 51 years old. That makes that pace that is set and that we see considerably more difficult than it is for someone 20 or 20 plus years younger. Hats off to him. Although they are all earning the money, the older the contestant, the harder the strain on the body.

Michael has such a wonderful "can do" attitude. Unfortunately, on this show that is not a guarantee to win. If he goes tonight, I have enjoyed his tenure.

Louie did better last night than he has done all season. He and Chelsie are so very cute together, but if 3 people have to go in the next 2 weeks, dance wise, Louie should be one of them.

Mya is still the excellent dancer she was from the beginning, but now her attitude is beginning to show. She has now been edited as making "the cup" comment twice which is bossy and derogatory toward men, and it is obvious that she is now understanding that even though (or because ) she is by far the best dancer, she is not going to be automatically rewarded for it - in fact, she may even be penalized for it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Mambo competition. That was fun, and it was a very good way for the judges to accurately control some of the judging. I thought they did an overall good job at it.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fogey

Please straighten me out if I'm wrong, but do we usually see the pro kiss the star on the lips - like Chelsie kissed Louie at the end of their performance? I may have missed the kiss had I not seen the lipstick.

[Originally Posted by mandmmom2
    I like Kelly and Louis. I do think if Kelly wasn't so "reserved"...not sure that is the word I'm looking for....she would be awesome!

QUOTE=MsFroggy;3736994;]A bit hesitant. She lacks conviction when she dances.[/QUOTE]

Very hesitant, the jitter bug they did, it was too slow and lacked energy, not good.

The show was not up against the World Series, but here in the mid-Atlantic region it was pre-empted for the football game. Most stations were showing it around 1 or 2 a.m. So that would definitely affect the ratings, right?

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3737464;
    General thoughts:

Mark, Aaron and Joanna continue to improve. I'm sorry for those who dislike these folks, but that is the way I see it. Joanna in particular was giving that mambo the what-for out there last night.
    Excellent review.
    One of the byproducts of not having a favorite this season is that I also don't care to cheer "against" anyone.
    Do I think Aaron is a weenie? Of course he is. If he turned out to be the best dancer and won, would I be mad? Not if he earned it. He'd still be a crybaby sex addict, but what the heck.
    The world didn't end after Brooke Burke won...
    Ditto Mark, who's greatest crime is that I can never remember him, so I've had to watch clips of his movies that must have been shot on videotape in some guy's kitchen because they are so bad. But if he dances like he did last night, then roll on Mark, and maybe join Toastmasters to develop a personality.
    I have some great friends who can't stand Joanna, and some who think she rocks. She is a good dancer, so well.......you get the idea.
    My enormously fair and democratic approach ends with Mya. I am not Will Rogers (for those under 80, the guy who never met a person he didn't like, or some false slogan like that). Mya has a bad attitude, fat legs, has danced professionally with Gregory Hines (seriously), and does not deliver the goods. The world may very well end if Mya wins.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo47;3737475;
    Please straighten me out if I'm wrong, but do we usually see the pro kiss the star on the lips - like Chelsie kissed Louie at the end of their performance? I may have missed the kiss had I not seen the lipstick.
    There have been a few playful times. Louie and Chelsie probably know that people will keep them longer if there is some romantic chemistry. They are very cute together.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo47;3737475;
    So what are you suggesting? That Louie and Chelsie "like" each other? (I feel like I'm in H.S.)
    Come on, I need to know. If so, that dude is so lucky.
    To me, she and Kym are (different ages but) the whole package.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3737503;
    So what are you suggesting? That Louie and Chelsie "like" each other? (I feel like I'm in H.S.)
    Come on, I need to know. If so, that dude is so lucky.
    To me, she and Kym are (different ages but) the whole package.
    Hi SDL! I'm not suggesting - I am asking! I think they are one of the cutest couples on the show; won't win by a long shot, but cute nevertheless.

I agree, she and Kym are the female pros I like the most - by a longshot!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3737496;
    Excellent review.
    One of the byproducts of not having a favorite this season is that I also don't care to cheer "against" anyone.
    Do I think Aaron is a weenie? Of course he is. If he turned out to be the best dancer and won, would I be mad? Not if he earned it. He'd still be a crybaby sex addict, but what the heck.
    The world didn't end after Brooke Burke won...
    Ditto Mark, who's greatest crime is that I can never remember him, so I've had to watch clips of his movies that must have been shot on videotape in some guy's kitchen because they are so bad. But if he dances like he did last night, then roll on Mark, and maybe join Toastmasters to develop a personality.
    I have some great friends who can't stand Joanna, and some who think she rocks. She is a good dancer, so well.......you get the idea.
    My enormously fair and democratic approach ends with Mya. I am not Will Rogers (for those under 80, the guy who never met a person he didn't like, or some false slogan like that). Mya has a bad attitude, fat legs, has danced professionally with Gregory Hines (seriously), and does not deliver the goods. The world may very well end if Mya wins.
    This is where we differ somewhat I have my favorites I'm rooting for, though nowhere to the extent of Gilles last season. But I definitely have those I'm hoping are gone sooner rather than later, and who get nowhere near the finals. Aaron obviously would be my #1, and it doesn't help he has a pro I dislike just as much. Mark may be boring and forgettable, but he gave a fantastic performance last night and does seem to be coming out of his shell. Maybe all it takes is one dance to put you up top to stay there. I don't like Lacey at all, but I can live with them winning just because her last name isn't Hough of Ballas. I don't like Joanna, but it's more I just don't want Derek to win. This love infatuation with the Hough/Ballas clan and them continually winning and doing well has gotten old. I know they have their fans, and I can't deny Derek's great dancing. But I'm ready for some other pros to have the same success. Mya isn't even on the same level as everyone, and really isn't fun for me to watch as a result. I mean, even Donny who isn't a bad dancer is still learning and improving.

And sdl, do you really think they'll have 16 couples again next season? I know the idea that they'd scale back the length of the episodes and results shows won't happen because of $$$. But I can't believe they'd overinflate the cast again. Even a 16 member cast headlined by Tom Hanks, Cher, Bruce Springsteen, and Nicole Kidman would be too much.

+ Reply to Thread