+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 10/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I am floored how much Kelly looks like her mother. I do like her and hope she does well. I am also rooting for Donny as I grew up watching the Donny and Marie show. Not so much Mya as she's already a professional choreographer. Michael, I love him but he's hanging in there with his fans. I like to see Aaron get miffed when he's in the bottom 2. It's priceless.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3735930;
    I love your posts I forget 99% of the time Michael is even there. When I'm thinking of the contestants, I usually have to go look up who I'm missing. However, he's memorable on the dance floor, bad dancing and all. I was very impressed with his paso this past week. Probably my favorite of the paso group simply because I think that was his dance and at least he had one good, memorable dance this season before he leaves. Donny has impressed me, but more because he's not as good as I expected. He's learning, messes up, but listens to the comments, tries to improve, works hard, and is determined. What does Donny of all people have to gain from this other than the experience? Kelly and Louie were two other people I expected to not care about, but those 2 along with Donny would be my ideal final 3. I know it won't happen, so hopefully I can at least get Donny in there. The best dancer has never won this show, and while I'd like to like a couple because they're good dancers, I want to be entertained. Kelly/Louis and Louie/Chelsie do that. Plus, I love their overall attitudes and especially not wanting to let their partners down. Louie seems to be just be going along for the ride, but trying his hardest at the same time. I loved their AT last week. Putting aside my dislike for Joanna, even if I had never heard of her before, I find her boring. Same with MJH, and same with Mya. It doesn't help that Joanna and Melissa have partners that outdance them (on purpose and not) and act like a maniac that seems like an experiment gone bad (referring to Mark here). But personality and dance wise, I just don't see the appeal. Though I must say, I loved Joanna's AT with Maks more than any other dance of hers this season. Aaron needs a lot of things. I think he's just a poor lost soul that'll probably end up on Dr. Phil in the near future.
    Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I really don't want to see Louie or Michael in the final 3. Despite their seemingly pleasant attitudes and entertaining (for some) performances, I really don't see either of them as capable of making great improvements on the actual dancing, and would hate to see them lambasted by the judges while Mya and Donny are praised to the hilt. I would rather see Mark or Kelly, who both appear to have potential still not fully realized.

On another note, how refreshing would it be to get a finale without any Ballases or Houghs? Dare we hope?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3735962;
    Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I really don't want to see Louie or Michael in the final 3. Despite their seemingly pleasant attitudes and entertaining (for some) performances, I really don't see either of them as capable of making great improvements on the actual dancing, and would hate to see them lambasted by the judges while Mya and Donny are praised to the hilt. I would rather see Mark or Kelly, who both appear to have potential still not fully realized.

On another note, how refreshing would it be to get a finale without any Ballases or Houghs? Dare we hope?
    Michael I don't want to see in the finale, either. Louie, just because I like him (and think he and Chelsie would do a kick-ass freestyle) I would want over Mark, Mya, Joanna, or Melissa. But if I had to place a bet, I think it'd be Kelly, Joanna, or potentially Mark taking the 3rd spot, and probably finishing 3rd overall. Though I'd have to agree, a Ballas/Hough free finale would be heaven for me Probably Mark free, I think Derek could squeeze in there. Hopefully there's no chance he'll win.

I like to see Aaron get miffed when he's in the bottom 2. It's priceless
    Karina's lost the b***h face this season, especially when she's in the bottom 2. They went from being up so high to down with the fans. I'm not really sure how much fan support he had to begin with, but I know he came in with people not liking him. Some of the earlier comments probably didn't help him, either.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-25-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3735962;

I'm lost. What do people have against the Ballas and Hough families? The Ballas' in particular, have a long history in the pro dance world, including multiple national and international wins.

I think it may be the over-confidence that shows through, and Mark in particular has a tendency to really showboat. They may be very nice people, but it is not showing up that way on this show.

Once again, a different attitude is expected in Entertainment, than in competion.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3736132;
    Once again, a different attitude is expected in Entertainment, than in competion.
    Thanks for the response, schmoo2.

A different attitude is expected? I can't imagine why. There are a great many local and regional dance competitions, and even national ones, where amateurs are a major part of the landscape, amateurs without the dance and showmanship skills of Giles or Kristi. These are the feeding grounds for future professionals, and I find them very entertaining in ballroom competition.

If it is the fan base who determines what is expected, then ABC seems not to have delivered a cast (pro and celeb) able to deliver the required entertainment attitude, given the poor ratings sdl has previously discussed. Maybe I should just watch dancing on PBS and shut up here.

I'm perfectly fine with the Houghs, but something about Mark Ballas just rubs me the wrong way. He's a fine dancer but I find his personality and on-camera antics cringe-worthy.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

sdl

It's funny, Karalott, that I too have to keep a list of contestants next to my computer to avoid forgetting half of them.
    But I remember some people even if they aren't the greatest dancers, and I'm excited when it's their turn and disappointed when they aren't that good.
    I'm thinking now of Michael Irvin, who a buddy of mine close to the show told me is the friendliest of the bunch...an upbeat person, the one who is friends with everybody, and actually happy to be there. That guy smiles all the time.
    He's probably the worst dancer, and will be going home soon - and that's fair and it's the nature of sports, but I think he'll be missed in the Red Room.
    Can you imagine a final of Aaron, Mya and Joanna? It won't happen but they'd have to bring in a SWAT team to keep them apart, put canaries in their dressing rooms to detect poison gas, and have a priest on hand to administer Last Rites in case one went over the wall.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3736121;
    I'm lost. What do people have against the Ballas and Hough families? The Ballas' in particular, have a long history in the pro dance world, including multiple national and international wins.
    I'm going to say something that I think may be unpopular, but it's been on my mind for a long time. There is a strong anti Ballas-Hough sentiment here, which I sort of get because Derek is an over the top ham and Mark over dances and makes his partners look bad at times. But.....
    Derek in my opinion is the best male dancer on the show, and a brilliant choreographer. He is hard not to watch in a group dance.
    Julliane when she was around was probably the best female dancer. I may have a crush on Kym, and Cheryl is a great teacher, but Julliane was blessed with so much talent. Again, stood out in a crowd of great dancers.
    Mark's record speaks for itself. He is the son of Corky, who trained this mob and created the dynasty.
    I respect quality and hard work, so if a Ballas or a Hough wins again, I think it's just proof that they are darn good dancers and instructors.

FORT Regular

I can put up with Derek's annoying antics because he is a talented. So is Julianne. I agree Corky and his wife did a great job teaching a lot of these pros but Mark's record? He won twice with two Olympians who were going to win no matter what. He had Sabrina who should have been in the final 3 but did not even make it past the half way point. Kim left after a couple of weeks and Melissa is just popular despite her poor dancing. The Houghs wins I can deal with because at least I can see the talent and work. The Ballas wins just seem like gifts from the producers to thank Corky or something. Besides, something about Mark annoys more than Derek and Julianne. It is not just the crazy dancing but thinking he is the star.

+ Reply to Thread