+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 10/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 10/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

And any mid season changes just to shake things up could backfire as well. That often looks like it was last minute and is out of desperation. I'm also not crazy about the upcoming two weeks where the judges send someone hme, even if it is just two weeks. I think that could backfire even more if a likeable celeb gets sent home over someone more unlikeable. Regardless of what people say about Louie's dancing ability, I'd wager a guess he's a lot more popular and shows more personality and entertainment than Aaron Carter, who the judges would almost be forced to keep in a dance off between the two. MJH is boring and forgettable (I tend to forget she's there) but she was so desperate to get on this show in the first place and is paired with a producers fave. Same with Joanna, who is as good as golden with Derek.

And maybe people are tired of an obvious final like Mya and Donny. That'd be a real shock for me is if one of them didn't make the final 3. I think the producers did intend for this cast to come out a lot different and the people they expected to be a bust weren't and vice versa. What I'll be more curious about is what changes are in store for season 10. And please casting peeps, give Jonathan someone to get him past the 1st elimination.

sdl, do you know if they're doing the pro competition this year? It was mentioned that they were going to do it, but nothing's been said about it since I think the first week, so I wondered if they decided to can it and just stick with their regulars. I think Louis and Anna T. may have gotten more of a fan boost this season.

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;3734367;
    sdl, I trust your information and your source, but this is one time I'd have to say that this part of it does not sound right at all (to me) just based on government-related logic. Even if he supported bills in the past that benefited ABC, the key phrase in that is "in the past." If such bills even existed, ABC has long since gotten their perks or whatever and he wouldn't be able to revoke it now. If he was a current politician, I could see it as a possibility (but still wouldn't buy it), but he's not.

I don't have insiders on Capitol Hill, but I can't think of much of anyone who wants to be associated with him politically these days, so it's not like he could threaten old allies to do something to ABC if he didn't get the show offer. Even if he could do that, it wouldn't matter since the Reps have no power in Congress ATM. So, from my perspective, there's no way it was "impossible to turn him down." He holds no power over them; if they didn't want him, they could've just said no and stuck to it.

To me, if that's the idea they're floating around as to why he was cast, then it sounds like the higher ups (not your source, but the in charge folks) are trying to find a cop out as to why he was cast. I still believe it was to generate controversy and buzz.
    I'm with sdl on this one.

From my office on 13th Street NW, about 1/3 of a mile from the White House, I can throw a rock and hit at least a dozen partners in our firm who, at some time during the past seven administrations, worked either within the West Wing or Old Executive Office Building on the WH grounds. I don't know one of them, Rep, Dem or agnostic, who would not take a phone call from Tom Delay. Few would want a pic of him/herself with Delay to appear in the Style section of the Wash Post, but privately, Delay holds influence and people would help, carefully. Why? Political influence and power in DC is directly related to what you know and Delay is well known for knowing where lots of political bodies are buried. Such people have influence, arguably influence beyond their public reputation.

Until the past four years, Dems and Reps regularly scratched each others' backs with regularity. We long for the quick return of the days of comity. For Delay to have made a phone call to someone who knew someone who could influence ABC from the top down through the Disney board of directors would not be heavy lifting. In the process, even people who no stake in the outcome would happily join in, banking their own new political capital for later use. Hell, I would have taken such a call from Delay myself, if he had called, and off the top of my head I can think of three people in positions of influence to whom I could have initiated a dialogue -- and then found a client who would happily have agreed to have my time billed to them. If only I could find a client willing to pay for the dance studio that allows me to escape the political madness the above obviously represents.
    Last edited by Peacheater; 10-24-2009 at 08:28 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3734359;
    Ok, let me break this down.
    Martial artists are graded on technique. One of the cardinal rules is that they not actually hurt each other. It is the art form that they display. It is one dimensional in that they compete in one form of their "art," ie karate, jujitsu, judo, kung fu, etc. Their matches are very controlled. Sometimes, they break pine boards and scream a lot.
    Ultimate fighters actually fight, and the goal is to hurt the opponent as bad as they can until they are knocked out or submit. ALL forms of martial arts are combined as well as boxing, wrestling, and others forms of submission, to deliver the maximum punishment.
    I recently attended an international MMA open tournament - and the international judo champion was choked out in the first round, after taking enormous punishment. He had never really been hit, and had no ground game.
    So I apologize on behalf of Chuck and the UFC if they don't take Mark's game seriously, but if you understand sports, you'll know why.
    To real UFC fighters, pure martial artists are soft, untested, and not on the same level. Which is largely why they don't draw crowds, or make money like UFC fighters do.
    Hence, the lack of much for these two to talk about, which was all I was saying.

SDL--thanks for posting this. Another way to say it is that these two people are engaged in completely different athletic activities whose only commonalities include the use of the body--especially legs--and require lots of self-discipline and commitment and intensive long-term training.

BTW--being an athlete myself I can attest to the fact that even athletes in the very SAME endeavor do not always get along well.

Human beings are much too complex for that kind of simplistic equation.

I personally would think that Chuck Liddell and Tom DeLay might have much more in common.
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 10-24-2009 at 09:36 AM.

FORT Regular

Donny and Mya are the only ones who dance well so they better be in the finals. I hope they ditched the pro competition because Michael Irvin's partner has not really clicked with the audience. If they ditched Lacey and Mark Ballas as pros, it would be better. I want pros who want to be there for their celebs and not for themselves. Those two seem to only think about themselves and their dancing is not that engaging. Give their celebs to Edyta or Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by cousin_oliver;3735051;
    Donny and Mya are the only ones who dance well so they better be in the finals. I hope they ditched the pro competition because Michael Irvin's partner has not really clicked with the audience. If they ditched Lacey and Mark Ballas as pros, it would be better. I want pros who want to be there for their celebs and not for themselves. Those two seem to only think about themselves and their dancing is not that engaging. Give their celebs to Edyta or Jonathan.
    I wouldn't care if Lacey, Mark, and Derek (sorry Derek fans) sat out for a season or two, but the only pros I really care to see back are Kym, Edyta, Chelsie, Anna T., Alec, Maks, Tony, Jonathan, Louis, and Dmitry (though this season I'm beginning to think I can do without Dmitry). I'd still love to see some other former pros return. I highly doubt Anna D. will be back. She showed so much promise during the pro competition, and I know some people were put off with her because of the judges jamming down the throats hype over Mayo (I thought it was kind of stinky how they treated him, but I didn't care for the guy). I'm not sure what happened to the Anna that was in the pro contest and now, but she doesn't even seem the same dance or personality wise. If Julianne returns next season, which I'll be somewhat surprised to see her do, Anna D. is probably as good as gone. Since the show would probably hype something like the pro contest up every episode, that's why I'm curious if they ditched. Now of course Tom will probably bring something up this week I remember they were going to do the kids competition again during season 7 or 8 and mentioned it but then it must have gotten cancelled because it never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by cousin_oliver;3735051;
    Donny and Mya are the only ones who dance well so they better be in the finals. ...
    From my perspective as a ballroom dancer of 40 years and dance adjudicator for the past 12 years, I respectfully disagree with you that Donny and Mya are the only two celebrities who dance "well." In my opinion, half of the celebrities remaining in the competition could easily participate successfully in most amateur ball competitions. Further, while Donny excels at showmanship, he is also, in my opinion, not among the top three technical dancers remaining.

("Well" is undefined, thus opinions may vary.)

FORT Fanatic

Mark and Lacey's Paso Doble was underscored, for example. It was the dance of the night. There's absolutely no way anyone else can dance that dance with that passion, intensity and conviction.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3735073;
    Mark and Lacey's Paso Doble was underscored, for example. It was the dance of the night. There's absolutely no way anyone else can dance that dance with that passion, intensity and conviction.
    I am trying very hard to find common ground and see your point of view. I personally agree that Mark's Paso Doble was very good, and in my opinion was the best performance of the night. I've said that before.
    But your second sentence just leaves me scratching my head, "there's no way anyone else can dance that dance with that passion, intensity and conviction." Seriously?
    Off the top of my head, I can name three: Gilles Marini, Jason Taylor and Warren Sapp.
    I've never actually met the man, but I would lay a hefty bet that Peacheater could deliver a Paso Doble we would all remember long after the memory of Mark has faded, which taking nothing away from Peacheater, would not be long.
    Please, you couldn't possibly mean that to be taken literally.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3734950;

sdl, do you know if they're doing the pro competition this year? It was mentioned that they were going to do it, but nothing's been said about it since I think the first week, so I wondered if they decided to can it and just stick with their regulars. I think Louis and Anna T. may have gotten more of a fan boost this season.
    Karalott, I admire you too much to ignore your question, but I don't know the answer. The relationship I have at the network is in the nature of a couple of friends who call when they are having a bad day or are bored, and want to have some laughs or gripe about work.
    I suppose that it's a reflection on me more than anything else that my interests always turn to the personal side of things...who is a pain in the rear, who they like, who did something crazy, and what we don't see.
    My friend is a genuinely fine person, one of the most interesting people I know, but he/she/it is more focused on the business side.
    I'm not a good source for certain angles on the show. I know I brought up the mid-season changes but I honestly don't know the details.
    So your question is entirely fair but it seems like I know a fair amount about some things and virtually nothing about others. Hope this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3735120;
    I am trying very hard to find common ground and see your point of view. I personally agree that Mark's Paso Doble was very good, and in my opinion was the best performance of the night. I've said that before.
    But your second sentence just leaves me scratching my head, "there's no way anyone else can dance that dance with that passion, intensity and conviction." Seriously?
    Off the top of my head, I can name three: Gilles Marini, Jason Taylor and Warren Sapp.
    It wasn't Misty May's best dance but she looked ready to kill Drew Lachey is another one that comes to mind. Mario Lopez, Apolo, Joey MacIntyre, Mel B. His paso was good, though Lacey's hair was distracting. I'd probably say my favorite performance of the night was Maks AT, minus the slip. I also liked Kelly/Louis's paso and Louie/Chelsie's AT (but then again, we're all biased towards our faves). Beyond that, it was a disappointing night for two of my favorite dances.

Thank you for answering my question sdl! I always love your tidbits and though maybe it came up but just wasn't interesting enough to comment on. But I always love your behind the scenes dish, and it's interesting what you've posted about the atmosphere and them realizing what a mistake the 16 couples was. I feel confident we won't have that many for next season

+ Reply to Thread