+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526

Thread: 10/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fanatic

Re: 10/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

You can have your opinion of Mark, naturally. I have mine. I think he's got amazing potential, the more I read of his diversified career the more I'm interested in him. I would love to have him as a student in one of my classes.

I don't think it's necessarily a fair playing field when the guy found out that the Friday before the Monday announcement and he was told to get on a plane from Hawaii. He was initially going to be on season 10.

Especially when you've got Osmond doing Ballroom for a year and the other ringers born to performance.

Mark, for all the great work you can see on youtube is far from boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3730494;
    Hmmm, it is hard to speak for all legitimate professional men. It seems to me that last season I ran across a website of Canadian businessmen whose group for fun liked to make a "pick" of their "fantasy" of the month. Their pick was none other than Melissa Rycroft, Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader.....
    Being a Canadian I really hate to acknowledge this, but I used to work for a legitimate Canadian business man who cheated on his wife, the mother of his two children, regularly with some of the younger, dumber women in the office, and spent a good number of his evenings in strip bars. I certainly wouldn't factor "legitimate businessman" into a "decent person of quality and taste" equation.

And as to whether Melissa was "hot", Mr. Rattus' opinion was "eh, she's kind of cute I guess". And no, he was not dissembling in order to spare my feelings - I know exactly whom he finds attractive.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3730582;
    I know, and I was agreeing with you......then I fell into the trap of arguing about whether pro football cheerleaders were every guy's dream, and came off sounding like I was bashing Melissa. That was not my intent. Melissa was a good dancer, and made last season more interesting.
    Sometimes I take issue with characterizations of what "all men" find attractive, especially when they make us sound one dimensional.
    Anyway, I should have stuck with my original reaction, which was to leave all of this in the past.
    But for the record, not "all men" slobber over swimsuit models either. Some of us have evolved. Sorry Joanna.
    Last season was waaay too intense imo, and this season is rather lackluster, so we just borrowed a little of the controversy from last season to spice things up around here.
    What 'cha say? It's all good, isn't it? A little tit for tat and a little debate of the issues.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3731098;
    Last season was waaay too intense imo, and this season is rather lackluster, so we just borrowed a little of the controversy from last season to spice things up around here.
    What 'cha say? It's all good, isn't it? A little tit for tat and a little debate of the issues.
    Thank you Bloomers. As always, the voice of reason.
    Here's what worries me though. Last season, the debate was vicious and bitter, which I hated, but I actually cared about who won. As it turned out, they (Shawn, Gilles and Melissa) all kind of won, in their own ways, and it was a happy ending. But it sure was ugly around here as we worked toward the finale.
    This season, I honestly don't care who wins. There are people I like - Natalie, Kelly, Donny (surprisingly), Michael, and Louie come to mind, and others I would appreciate the courtesy of them just going away - Mya, Mark, Aaron and Joanna. But if the world spun sideways on its axis and one of the latter group won, I wouldn't miss a meal.
    Mark's worst crime is that he is boring...and I hold him responsible for making me watch the worst show on all of cable, twice, to catch his 3 minute monotone contribution.
    Joanna has a potty mouth, accentuated by the excessive collagen injections in her lips.
    Aaron is a cry baby, and has no friends.
    Mya is on the wrong side of the equation, more experienced that most of the pros, and has already discarded her partner's choreography.
    Ok, not good developments, but who really cares?
    I kind of miss the passion.

sdl

Ahhhhh!!!!!!! I completely forgot Melissa Joan Hart, who was on top of the leader board last week. Nice girl, but she never entered my mind.
    What a great illustration of my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3729902;
    This is true; however, to a good many of the stars (throughout the past seasons) who already make or have made big bucks in their careers, the money is secondary. However, Melissa Rycroft last season was forced to quit her job, and that was her only source of income; in addition I suspect this season that several of the contenders could use the money as well. Some of them may be fighting to stay on with the financial angle significantly in mind.
    Thanks for answering my question, Bloomers and I completely agree with your post. It's great if the celebrity can donate the $ to charity, but these folks are people too, and I can absolutely see how they could use the money for themselves. I just saw John Waters (Hairspray, Pink Flamingos, etc) in a 1-man show in a community college theater (about 500+ in the audience), and we asked him what brought him to this campus, and he said, "That's how I earn my living." So, just because he's involved in high profile celebrity work, the bottom line is, he still has to earn a living like everyone else. It's just that he earns his living in front of an audience and the rest of us do it in in a cube, a warehouse or checkout lane.

And I agree with Peacheater - that discussion about who should or shouldn't be on the show is old. Puhleeze - this is a fun board. Can't we just move on. (And no, that wasn't a question.)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3730960;
    Being a Canadian I really hate to acknowledge this, but I used to work for a legitimate Canadian business man who cheated on his wife, the mother of his two children, regularly with some of the younger, dumber women in the office, and spent a good number of his evenings in strip bars. I certainly wouldn't factor "legitimate businessman" into a "decent person of quality and taste" equation.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3731114;
    Thank you Bloomers. As always, the voice of reason.
    Here's what worries me though. Last season, the debate was vicious and bitter, which I hated, but I actually cared about who won. As it turned out, they (Shawn, Gilles and Melissa) all kind of won, in their own ways, and it was a happy ending. But it sure was ugly around here as we worked toward the finale.
    This season, I honestly don't care who wins. There are people I like - Natalie, Kelly, Donny (surprisingly), Michael, and Louie come to mind, and others I would appreciate the courtesy of them just going away - Mya, Mark, Aaron and Joanna. But if the world spun sideways on its axis and one of the latter group won, I wouldn't miss a meal.
    Mark's worst crime is that he is boring...and I hold him responsible for making me watch the worst show on all of cable, twice, to catch his 3 minute monotone contribution.
    Joanna has a potty mouth, accentuated by the excessive collagen injections in her lips.
    Aaron is a cry baby, and has no friends.
    Mya is on the wrong side of the equation, more experienced that most of the pros, and has already discarded her partner's choreography.
    Ok, not good developments, but who really cares?
    I kind of miss the passion.

Yikes! Surely all Canadian businessmen can't be generalized and sterotyped as cheaters? If so, I'm glad my husband is American.

Sdl, although the fan wars got vicious, as viewers last season we simply were spoiled. Not only did we have Shawn, Gilles, and Melissa, but we also had Lil Kim who was no slouch as a dancer - as well as the ever lovable Ty. It's possible that at least any of the top 3 and maybe the top 4 if by themselves on separate seasons might have each won the grand prize, such as it is.

As for Mark....My real name is not Betty Crocker. After I watched that hellion on the commercials curse and yell like a banchee at those talented contenders, I decided I wasn't watching ANY cooking program. Since I am not into kung fu anything either, I didn't know Mark from Adam's housecat. He seemed pleasant enough to me, and I have to admit that I thought after the first night, he might even be the possible 1rst place winner. However, I now believe that with this show (if you'll excuse a trite saying) it's "How the twig is bent, so grows the tree," and with these judges from the very beginning his twig just wasn't bent to win.
    In my opinion, he dances about as well as the rest of the non-pros ( excluding Mya) even though he doesn't get matching scores and gets more negative remarks than they do. The guy doesn't whine, and he gives off an obvious willingness to be taught which I greatly appreciate.

Aside from being a bit of a tattle tale with twitter, Kelly is doing remarkably well considering she has a bizarre father who does things like bite off the heads of bats. I like her progress.
    When one looks at the documented proof of past dysfunctional family problems which no doubt affect him ( and maybe do indicate he shouldn't be on the show), it is no wonder that Aaron has behaved in the manner he has - not acceptable, but not unbelievable either. In my opinion, he is dancing well in spite of his problems, too.

Mya is a pro as documentation has shown. Louie and Michael are fighting poor fan votes which are probably going to catch them sooner rather than later.

Donnie, unfortunately, imo is fighting age - both physically and against the prevailing adience preference for a more youthful winner. That is sad, but I believe is realistic.

Melissa is a past well known actress with the ability to still be cast in a hit today ( we have seen that happen); however, in simply looking at her she strikes me as just an attractive wife and mother - an everyday woman.
    I like her personality, and I really enjoyed her last dance.

Even though she IS another Olympian, I would like to see Natalie go to the finals. To me, she embodies what the purest form this show is all about.
    Last edited by Bloomers; 10-19-2009 at 01:24 PM.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3731394;
    Yikes! Surely all Canadian businessmen can't be generalized and sterotyped as cheaters? If so, I'm glad my husband is American.
    Absolutely not. I was just pointing out that you can't necessarily trust a "legitimate businessman" just because he wears a suit to work. Doesn't mean that they're all d-bags, though I have to think that there is something a little off about a group of purportedly grown and educated men judging a woman's attractiveness in tandem on the internet. I know that that is something my very Canadian husband wouldn't do .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread