+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 10/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

It's possible, but no one really knows except Aaron. My opinion of him on the show hasn't changed from my opinion of him way back when (except my dislike has gone up). Probably every celeb this season has a sort of sob story. Aaron isn't going to be cut a break and if he's having issues, being on a top rated show and opening yourself up to criticism (plus it doesn't help that he says the wrong things in the press) may not be the healthist thing for him, if his behavior is related to his upbringing and childhood. He got upset that Kelly O. tweeted about him being late to the group rehearsals, and Kelly said sorry to piss him off (which apparently led to people telling Aaron to leave Kelly alone). Louis, the pro, is the current person to come out and hint he's not entirely crazy about the guy. So maybe he is having emotional and personal issues, but so did Steve-O, and people could tell the difference between that and someone who has an overinflated ego. I may be wrong, but that's the impression Aaron gives me and all he is about. It doesn't help that he has a partner that can rival him in that department.

FORT Fanatic

I don't think Carter is ever going to catch a break for some people. I saw that tweeting and Mark Dacascos had tweeted at least a half hour before Kelly started with her nonsense that everyone was at rehearsal. Whatever is the truth who knows, the fact remains that you don't use a Twitter to announce to the world about someone who is a competitor something that can be taken very negatively by the public. It's unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3727978;
    I am not sure why so many people dislike Aaron. I see him as a lost kid. He had to take on adult problems too soon because the parents tossed him into show business. I think he is emotionally stunted and the drugs have alot to do with it. This is the very first season that not one contestant bugs me to the point of tossing thinks at the screen. I like most and the ones that I don't really know don't bug this season.

I think anyone with Karina tends to get a bad slant because she rubs people the wrong way.
    I've noticed that on this site and in many forums, fans or rather non fans seem, tend to have a very low tolerance of some celebs, contestants.

Originally Posted by norealityhere
    SDL,

Did Mya dance with him before?
    I had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3727977;
    Yes, she appeared in several shows dancing with Michael Jackson, and has both danced and choreographed for Janet Jackson. When I was trying to figure out who Mya was, I came across a ton of video and media dealing with her connection to the Jacksons. It appears that a lot has been taken down, but you can still find some of the old dance videos.
    Once you see them, you'll understand why I think it's such a big deal. Her routines look exactly like the kinds of things we see the pros doing on DWTS.
    I know I'm becoming a broken record, but this really bothers me.
    What a joke, BS........Mya's being on this show.

Yes, my tolerance level for Mya is Z E R O , rightfully so.

There is no rule that I know of that states the dancers have to be novices to dancing. I have no problem with people having danced before. I have issues with non celebrities being touted as celebrities on the show like last season. So Mya and any other so called ringer is fine with me.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Her dance ability is so far ahead of the rest of the cast, which makes it grossly unfair.

Last year we had several great dancers, but this year they are all pretty "meh". So she stands out as a pro. I'm glad Len is judging her accordingly.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3728512;
    There is no rule that I know of that states the dancers have to be novices to dancing. I have no problem with people having danced before. I have issues with non celebrities being touted as celebrities on the show like last season. So Mya and any other so called ringer is fine with me.
    Wow, ok. I respect diversity of opinion. That's cool.
    But I have a question: if Julianne Hough came back next season as a star, not a pro, with Tom announcing, "Country recording artist Julianne Hough and her partner Mark Ballas...." would that be fine with you?
    Because I don't see any difference. Mya was a professional dancer, starting at the age of 2, performed solo at the Kennedy Center, danced professionally with the Jacksons, Beyonce, Pink, and choreographs professionally. She used her fame as a great dancer to break into singing - like Julianne.
    So Julianne Hough (or Mya) vs. Louie Vito and Kelly Osbourne is a fair deal?
    To me, it's like Michael Jordan challenging Jimmie Kimmel to a game of basketball...and asking us to tune in to see who wins.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3728630;
    Wow, ok. I respect diversity of opinion. That's cool.
    But I have a question: if Julianne Hough came back next season as a star, not a pro, with Tom announcing, "Country recording artist Julianne Hough and her partner Mark Ballas...." would that be fine with you?
    Because I don't see any difference. Mya was a professional dancer, starting at the age of 2, performed solo at the Kennedy Center, danced professionally with the Jacksons, Beyonce, Pink, and choreographs professionally. She used her fame as a great dancer to break into singing - like Julianne.
    So Julianne Hough (or Mya) vs. Louie Vito and Kelly Osbourne is a fair deal?
    To me, it's like Michael Jordan challenging Jimmie Kimmel to a game of basketball...and asking us to tune in to see who wins.
    Not saying I disagree with you one way or the other, but just wanted to point out one thing with regard to your hypo - apparently the DWTS rules do not have anything against prior dancing experience, they just can't have prior ballroom experience. So your hypo would never happen - because obviously Julianne has ballroom experience!

What I always think is interesting is that, at least so far with regard to this show, the "ringer" (if that is what we are calling Mya) tends to go very far, but they never win. At the end of the day, it is always the one with no (or at least very little) prior experience that wins. Think Mario L. vs. Emmitt, Mel B. vs. Helio, Apolo vs. whoever was the other final person there. Even last season, Melissa finally lost at F3 and the last two (Gilles and Shawn) didn't have dance experience. Right now, I like being entertained - so it is nice to see some good dances along with some of the not so good dances. And I figure it will even itself out in the end.

Never before have I had a problem with a celebrity having previous dance experience of any type -- not with the ice skaters, gymnasts, boy banders, girl groups, broadway theater performers, ballet dancers, etc. Nor do I care if any of them decide to take a few lessons to prepare for the show. None of them was a choreographer. I, too, like to see good dancers on the show along with those who become good dancers. Gilles was so good that many insisted he had had dancing training at some points, which was patently not true.

With Mya, however, I feel they have crossed the line. To me, it would be tantamount to having someone like Patrick Swayze, Gregory Hines, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Cyd Charrisse, Juliet Prowse, or their like as contestants. I love each of those I named, but would think it unfair for any of them to have been cast on this show (in their time, of course).

That's just my opinion, of course, but I stand by it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;3728638;
    Not saying I disagree with you one way or the other, but just wanted to point out one thing with regard to your hypo - apparently the DWTS rules do not have anything against prior dancing experience, they just can't have prior ballroom experience. So your hypo would never happen - because obviously Julianne has ballroom experience!

What I always think is interesting is that, at least so far with regard to this show, the "ringer" (if that is what we are calling Mya) tends to go very far, but they never win. At the end of the day, it is always the one with no (or at least very little) prior experience that wins. Think Mario L. vs. Emmitt, Mel B. vs. Helio, Apolo vs. whoever was the other final person there. Even last season, Melissa finally lost at F3 and the last two (Gilles and Shawn) didn't have dance experience. Right now, I like being entertained - so it is nice to see some good dances along with some of the not so good dances. And I figure it will even itself out in the end.
    All very good points, and you are right.
    I wish someone, maybe Peacheater, could tell us which of the dances now featured are really considered "Ballroom dances."
    It seems to me that many of the new dances, introduced over the last 2-3 seasons, are fun to watch but not really ballroom - the jive, the two step, the jitterbug, the Lindy hop, the Charleston, hip-hop stuff, etc.
    I'm not sure what is pure ballroom, which makes it difficult to say whether someone like Mya is technically disqualified - she is definitely a hip-hop star and expert....so I guess that's not "ballroom" but is prominently featured on the show. Seems like a pretty big loophole.

+ Reply to Thread