+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: *Improving the Show*

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: *Improving the Show*

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3742262;
    Forget even fair and just....comparing the same dance would give the judges a better shot at accuracy in scoring.

Next, besides choice of dance (paso is going to beat out cha-cha every time), the next most important element in any analysis would have to be the choreographers. The team could have the very best dancers, but if they have nothing to dance, it isn't going to do them no good.
    When I saw Derek and Louie who are both excellent choreographers, I felt like Team Tango (despite the fact that the Tango is less dramatic and flashy than the Paso) would prevail over the other team.
    As it was, the rehearsal clip showed that Team Paso was having trouble even getting started. They lacked the strong choreographic leadership that Derek and Louie provided.
    When it came to the team dances, I thought last season was the best between the 3 in terms of the them having an equal share of strong couples and good choreographers on each side. Of course with tango and mambo there may be no contest, but Team Mambo did a really fun routine, while Team Tango got more of the steamy, technical side of their dance, while still making it enjoyable to watch. Plus Team Mambo had Melissa sitting out because that was the night of her injury. I had forgotten that they have 2 contestants be captains; I think it'd be better if the show divided them up because that right there can spell doom for a side. Look at team cha cha in season 7. And with that train wreck, Susan couldn't even be there for group rehearsals.

It's interesting that this season and in season 7 one side was having issues even working together while the others acted like they were all lifelong BFFs who were taking on the poor amateurs.

Give up on trying to get the young crowd and be happy for the big "older" viewership! So, do away with hip hop and other youngish type guest singers...and bring on the tappers, kids, and other classic singing stars that we all want to see!

Couldn't agree more. I doubt all the rappers, hip hop, etc., young audiance watch this type show. When the young singers (that couldn't carry a tune in a bucket) come on I mute it. If I have to mute too much I switch channels.
    Best statement made. I fall into the 18-29 age bracket, and I prefer the show to showcase strictly ballroom, could care less for any hip hop, prefer the older pros to the younger, and would much rather watch musical performances of the Bee Gees, Barry Manilow, and anyone who is not a Disney/tween star or that is a pro on the show and has their own band (stick to what you're good at, gents). They have SYTYCD and America's Best Dance Crew, and in the summer, America's Got Talent for people that want to watch a variety of dances from hip hop to ballroom to god only knows what else they show case on those shows. And correct me if I'm wrong, but DWTS beats them all in the ratings overall. So the show needs to stop copying shows that came after it and that appeal to a different audience, quit alienating its core group that made it successful, and get back to basics. Everything they've done to try and win that demo and make itself a younger, different version than what it was hasn't exactly done any good. Maks had hinted around during season 7 that apparently there were a lot of talks backstage between producers and, from what I got from him, people like CA that wanted to take the show in a different direction and expand it's horizons. He had said that the dancers on their show would fight tooth and nail before they let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3751159;
    I fall into the 18-29 age bracket, and I prefer the show to showcase strictly ballroom, could care less for any hip hop, prefer the older pros to the younger, and would much rather watch musical performances of the Bee Gees, Barry Manilow, and anyone who is not a Disney/tween star or that is a pro on the show and has their own band (stick to what you're good at, gents).
    On the other hand, I'm coming up on 50 and love hip hop, hate Barry Manilow and the Bee Gees (musically - they may very well be lovely people). Though I do also hate all the Disney pop tarts. Actually, the only musical act I have ever enjoyed on this show was Michael Bublé doing Moondance. But then, if I want music, I listen to music - I watch this thing specifically to see D-listers improve their dancing over the course of several months.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I have no problem with the show having a wide diversity in the entertainment they provide on Results Night. I may not appreciate Miley Cyrus, but I do realize there are others who do.
    DWTS is looking to appeal to a wide audience and TPTB recognizes their need to do this. I would prefer, though, that they stick more to traditional ballroom dancing. Some of the dances they've incorporated as of late had no place on the show, IMO.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3751411;
    I have no problem with the show having a wide diversity in the entertainment they provide on Results Night. I may not appreciate Miley Cyrus, but I do realize there are others who do.
    DWTS is looking to appeal to a wide audience and TPTB recognizes their need to do this. I would prefer, though, that they stick more to traditional ballroom dancing. Some of the dances they've incorporated as of late had no place on the show, IMO.
    That's what many people argue about. If they want to add dances, fine. I don't see anyone who didn't like the addition of the Argentine Tango (especially over the regular tango), and while I don't think the show needs the lindy hop, jive, and jitterbug, those 2 dances were decent additions. However, I don't like the idea of novelty dances just to spice things up, especially when it falls flat. I'd suggest not adding a dance for one person's benefit, especially since you don't know if that person will be around to dance it (looking at Delay and the two step here), and while they may want to keep the pros on their toes, there;s other solutions. Don't tell them until after the results show what dances they are doing. Switch the order up like they did this season. Maybe add more newer dances and have them dance those dances into the later weeks, rather than week 6 they start dancing previous dances they didn't do yet. Don't give the pros a dance they don't know anything about! And don't give the judges the chance to look like even bigger fools like they know what they're talking about.

That thread Wind Dancer started about favorite dances makes me realize just how much this season tanks big time in comparison. I can't really say there's been any real memorable dances.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3751937;
    That's what many people argue about. If they want to add dances, fine. I don't see anyone who didn't like the addition of the Argentine Tango (especially over the regular tango), and while I don't think the show needs the lindy hop, jive, and jitterbug, those 2 dances were decent additions. However, I don't like the idea of novelty dances just to spice things up, especially when it falls flat. I'd suggest not adding a dance for one person's benefit, especially since you don't know if that person will be around to dance it (looking at Delay and the two step here), and while they may want to keep the pros on their toes, there;s other solutions. Don't tell them until after the results show what dances they are doing. Switch the order up like they did this season. Maybe add more newer dances and have them dance those dances into the later weeks, rather than week 6 they start dancing previous dances they didn't do yet. Don't give the pros a dance they don't know anything about! And don't give the judges the chance to look like even bigger fools like they know what they're talking about.

That thread Wind Dancer started about favorite dances makes me realize just how much this season tanks big time in comparison. I can't really say there's been any real memorable dances.
    I have a question. What are the legitimate ballroom dances?
    And by that I mean what would people see if they went to a real ballroom competition? I know that there are different types of competitions, ie ballroom, latin, Western Swing, etc. (I only know this only by looking at what championships the pros have won) but my question really is -
    Do ballroom dancers actually compete in the 2 step? The lindy hop?
    Or is this just crap the producers threw in to change things, causing them to drift further from the basic premise of the show?

ETA: Ok, forget the question. I started googling ballroom dance competitions and landed on the European Same Sex Dance Association website. It featured a full slate of competitions each month, including the Rainbow Open, another deal at the Pink Ballroom, and a demonstration of a very voluptuous woman holding another girl in a pose that I would rate as a definite "10." i think the answer is anything is possible.
    Last edited by sdl; 11-17-2009 at 05:03 PM.

I went to wikipedia to look up different dance styles, as curiousity had the best of me one time just how many styles there were. Two step and Lindy hop did fall under certain categories, so maybe they can get mixed in with other dance moves and routines. Maybe novelty dances wasn't the best word to use, but you know what I mean. At the very least, do dances that some of the pros have a little knowledge of.

I agree with almost all that has been written in this thread.

A few additional things that I would like to see: The Viennese Waltz danced to (surprise!) an actual Viennese waltz!.

I'd also like to see major changes to the Results Show. I agree with those who said a 30 minute format would be a huge improvement over the current long hour of torture. This season I have not watched a single results show. I get the results in the morning on line. My biggest objection is the humiliating way they make the dancers stand under the red lights. And the repetitious words "Last night the judges..." and "Did the viewers..." Enough!!!
    They need to find a better way of announcing the results. A way that does not humiliate the dancers nor insult the audience.

I was thinking about how much I missed Natalie this season, and how I felt she got screwed over royally by the show (namely by doing a wonderful rumba then a mediocre bolero which basically is the same thing, then getting a crappy paso song). Interestingly enough, Natalie/Alec loved their paso and she wanted to do it for their repeat dance. Anyway, what was it that they did on AI last season, where the judges got to override the audience vote? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. I don't know that I'd want to give the judges anymore power, but instead of voting to keep someone in a DO, maybe we could avoid Natalie going way too soon, giving someone like Mark another shot after he had a rough week with everything, or someone that's a good dancer but has little to no fanbase getting booted early. And it's not something I'd want every week. At least it'd be suspense to see if the judges used it, though I guess it'd be all about favoritism and bias over anything else. I still don't think Natalie and Mark going when they did, or Michael getting saved over Louie, were accidents or luck.

And the repetitious words "Last night the judges..." and "Did the viewers..." Enough!!!
    They need to find a better way of announcing the results. A way that does not humiliate the dancers nor insult the audience.
    How many times a night does Tom have to say that? He could just record himself saying it and play it back. He used to say it when it was the final 4, then possibly the final 3, and then the bottom 2. Now with bringing out the high scorers, he says it then. If they're in jeopardy, he says it again. If they hit the bottom 2, he says it again. I think a simple "you're safe" is fine until you get to the bottom 2. And going to the judges for your reaction, unless they're going to be honest and say "I think so and so deserves to stay" I'd rather not waste time on their final words. I'd also like the eliminees and the winner to get more footage at the end for a celebration/farewell. I don't think the results show will ever go back to 30 minutes, but I think the show needs to know it's audience. Don't waste forever getting announcing just one couple. Especially when it's going to be obvious. I would like to see them scale back the actual performance shows. Do we really need to take a 16 second break, just to come back, reveal a couples scores, and then go to the next break?
    Last edited by karalott; 11-26-2009 at 08:57 PM.

FORT Fogey

Keep Miss Piggy, and dump Samantha.

Agreed. Keep Ms. Piggy, dump Samantha. Replace CA with someone who had done ballroom professionally, tone down or replace Bruno.

Above all, let the audience vote for who to eliminate instead of spreading our votes out on who we want to save. That's if you really want to know how the majority of America feels. No more 2 hour shows when it gets down to 8 or less couples.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread