+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 9/29 Results Show Discussion *SPOILERS*

Re: 9/29 Results Show Discussion *SPOILERS*

It's really great watching Mya and Dimitri, that was a very fun jive but she is a definite ringer. Very comfortable with performing and showmanship. It was a really fun jive, that song was good and Dimitri great job with the choreography

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3714803;
    I'm not sure this explanation will make sense to you, but it is what I've experienced as a ballroom dancer/instructor/judge. With many athletes, movement seems only a means to an end, with only the really great ones achieving the art within their sport. In Chuck Liddell's case, my impression is that his MMA training is "outcome focused." The essential training in ballroom is about movement being sufficient in itself, with the outcome as secondary or at least of different importance. Chuck may seem wooden or stiff because he does not feel the beauty and grace in the hold, step or kick. Until he, or any other would-be dancer, is able to truly feel the moment of the [I]caminar,[/I] then he is only walking across the floor for no particular purpose other than that it is a required movement of the tango, for example.

Peacheater--hi. Thanks for your thoughts about this.

As an athlete I am going to have to think about what you've said.

My first thought is that usually athletes are very aware of their bodies as a whole--as a functioning unit.

For me that means understanding which movement it takes to achieve what end.

I do agree with you about his lapses into "non-dancing" in between major movements--a problem I blame on his professional partner/choreographer who should see this problem and help him correct it--pronto.

(Btw--I am currently involved in a study of Spanish so I find it interesting that the Spanish verb "caminar"--which means to walk or stroll should be used for a dance term. Nice to know I am learning something! )
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 09-30-2009 at 10:09 PM.

the butterfly season etherealfire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3714542;
    Ok, no offense to USC, which I'm sure is a fine school, albeit in a horrible ghetto neighborhood, and has a good band - at least their uniforms look neat. The last time I saw them play in person was when they lost the National Championship game in the Rose Bowl to The University of Texas. Since then, I'm aware that they are the most talented team in the country to consistently lose a game to an unranked opponent each year and blow it.
    But who in the heck has bought their band's "albums" and made 2 of them go platinum?!? I'm definitely doing a fact check on that one.
    SDL, delurking because I don't think anyone responded to this yet - I'm not absolutely sure but I think Tom was referring to Fleetwood Mac's Tusk which had USC participation - don't know what the other song could be though.
    "If you're going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance." ~ anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3715355;
    Peacheater--hi. Thanks for your thoughts about this.

As an athlete I am going to have to think about what you've said.

My first thought is that usually athletes are very aware of their bodies as a whole--as a functioning unit.

For me that means understanding which movement it takes to achieve what end.

I do agree with you about his lapses into "non-dancing" in between major movements--a problem I blame on his professional partner/choreographer who should see this problem and help him correct it--pronto.

(Btw--I am currently involved in a study of Spanish so I find it interesting that the Spanish verb "caminar"--which means to walk or stroll should be used for a dance term. Nice to know I am learning something! )
    Here are a few other Spanish tango terms to give you some more to think about:

arrastre -- the drag
    barrida -- the sweep
    boleo -- a particular embellishment that can be done high or low
    caminar -- to walk—the basic walking pattern of tango
    cruzada -- the cross
    corrida -- double-time walking
    enrosque -- a twisting movement during a turn
    freno -- a brake (blocking a foot)
    gancho -- a hook (a type of embellishment)
    giro -- a turn
    lapiz -- translates as "pencil" but is drawing a circle with the toe
    parada -- to stop
    salida --the opposite of its translation (exit). It is the basic entrance to the dance (sort of like Salida, Kansas, if you think about it)

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3714374;
    I agree The audience seems to love him, and he seems very popular with viewers. True, he isn't the best dancer, but I love watching him. He brings the entertainment value. Besides, he and Chelsie are too cute together.

Macy's Stars of Dance time. And not in the studio. Guess that answers me question how they were going to fit the band in the studio
    Louie has the sweetest smile I've ever seen. Forget the dancing, I'd vote just for his smile. I didn't vote for him, even though I adore him. When my other favorite is gone, I'll probably vote for Kelly and Louie. Tony/Kathy were one of two favorites, but they are gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by dougrayfan;3714381;
    Hey, my Marching Band (Western IL Univ - shamless plug) was never invited to a TV show! We were MUCH better. Better uniforms, our drum cadence was better too. Oh, and no shades, we weren't full of ourselves. OK, the tuba guys were, but, well, they played tuba. Weird style of marching, look like robots.
    I was in the marching band when I was in high school. I was a majorette and then drum major my junior and senior years. Those were the most fun days of my life. I still have my baton hanging on a rack with my name on it in my library and I have had it for over 40 years. OMG, we're talking 1968!

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by n4692u;3715844;
    I was in the marching band when I was in high school. I was a majorette and then drum major my junior and senior years. Those were the most fun days of my life. I still have my baton hanging on a rack with my name on it in my library and I have had it for over 40 years. OMG, we're talking 1968!
    Memo to ABC:
    I know you are trying to be creative and come up with new stuff to fill the huge gaps in your results shows, but no more marching bands. Please.
    Marching bands exist for one purpose - to be loud enough to be heard in the world's worst acoustical environment, outdoor stadiums with tens of thousands of screaming people. They wear absurd looking costumes so people will notice them as they are leaving to get popcorn and hot dogs at halftime.
    I now need to go research the difference between a majorette and a drum major. I'm pretty sure one is the stiff legged person who runs with the whistle and the baton, at the head of the pack. But I'm not sure what the other does. Spin the baton? What do you call the guys who just carry flags? If I joined a "band", I suspect that's the job they would give me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3716524;
    Memo to ABC:
    I know you are trying to be creative and come up with new stuff to fill the huge gaps in your results shows, but no more marching bands. Please.
    Marching bands exist for one purpose - to be loud enough to be heard in the world's worst acoustical environment, outdoor stadiums with tens of thousands of screaming people. They wear absurd looking costumes so people will notice them as they are leaving to get popcorn and hot dogs at halftime.
    I now need to go research the difference between a majorette and a drum major. I'm pretty sure one is the stiff legged person who runs with the whistle and the baton, at the head of the pack. But I'm not sure what the other does. Spin the baton? What do you call the guys who just carry flags? If I joined a "band", I suspect that's the job they would give me.
    Since you don't know the difference between the drum major and a majorette, you'd probably get to carry the equipment to and from the bus. Maybe they'd give you a little plume to wear on top of your head, too.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by n4692u;3715844;
    Whoa, that is very impressive! Apparently you were (are) a trailblazer, too!
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3716760;
    Since you don't know the difference between the drum major and a majorette, you'd probably get to carry the equipment to and from the bus. Maybe they'd give you a little plume to wear on top of your head, too.
    Very funny Bloomers. But I do know one thing about marching bands.....they carry their own equipment, to and from the bus, and on the field. That's why they are a maaarrrcchhiinng band. No roadies, scaffolds, giant speakers - this is not Bon Jovi getting his hair fluffed and walking out on stage. Their fluffs come pre-packaged on the tops of those funny hats, which they also carry with them.
    And you thought I didn't know anything....

+ Reply to Thread