+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 9/29 Results Show Discussion *SPOILERS*

FORT Fanatic

Re: 9/29 Results Show Discussion *SPOILERS*

Yikes if you like Mazur never assume she's safe. There's a whole roster of chicas..and right now it looks like Kelly and Natalie are favored by the fans.

I think the entire video package for Debi and Maks backfired. I know they were trying to bring a Love/hate relationship thing to the dance floor by showing her going off on Maks, but women who love Maks hate that. They don't want the guy emasculated and so the Maks voters parked it elsewhere. Big gamble..if Kathy wasn't so wooden out there Debi could have went home.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3714582;
    Didn't really want to ID that person, to avoid the hate mail, but what the heck -- Michael Irvin. It was a consensus opinion, not unanimous.
    He and Chuck are very low on the voter polls. Actually, Michael is lower in the popular vote than Tom is on most of the voter polls.
    He is such a big name and a likable person. My perception is that the producers may not have been ready to let him go quite so early.
    I think they strive to have a big sport's name and/or an Olympic champion in the F2. Unfortunately, their last few choices have not had the innate ability as their first few choices.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fogey

Sorry if this offends Chuck fans but when I see Chuck dance I wonder how any athlete can be so wooden and stiff?

Especially a guy whose job it is to be faster and more flexible than his opponents.

Would love to hear any explanation for this that makes sense.

BTW--from a non-fan's point of view his "bad boy" antics are just off-putting. Not very smart if trying to attract new fans IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3714338;
    Joss Stone up singing now. Probably one of the better musical guests they've ever had

USC Trojan marching band and Stomp the Yard will be featured in the Macy's Stars of Dance

I noticed last night and tonight, Aaron's got one heck of a vein popping out of his forehead. I can't believe all the ties. Too many couples, too many ties, and too much bad dancing this season.

Now some filler on the rehearsal studios where they practice. Debi says Maks hates it when the other couples crash their rehearsals. She loves it because it gives her a break

The celebs are doing well, they aren't professionals and it's only the 2nd week. They have 4 or 5 days to learn a new dance, can't be easy for anyone. If you want experienced dancers, watch SYTYCD, Fox 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3714692;
    Sorry if this offends Chuck fans but when I see Chuck dance I wonder how any athlete can be so wooden and stiff?

Especially a guy whose job it is to be faster and more flexible than his opponents.

Would love to hear any explanation for this that makes sense.

BTW--from a non-fan's point of view his "bad boy" antics are just off-putting. Not very smart if trying to attract new fans IMO.

I'm not sure this explanation will make sense to you, but it is what I've experienced as a ballroom dancer/instructor/judge. With many athletes, movement seems only a means to an end, with only the really great ones achieving the art within their sport. In Chuck Liddell's case, my impression is that his MMA training is "outcome focused." The essential training in ballroom is about movement being sufficient in itself, with the outcome as secondary or at least of different importance. Chuck may seem wooden or stiff because he does not feel the beauty and grace in the hold, step or kick. Until he, or any other would-be dancer, is able to truly feel the moment of the caminar, then he is only walking across the floor for no particular purpose other than that it is a required movement of the tango, for example.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3714773;
    The celebs are doing well, they aren't professionals and it's only the 2nd week. They have 4 or 5 days to learn a new dance, can't be easy for anyone. If you want experienced dancers, watch SYTYCD, Fox 11.
    I don't watch SYTYCD, this is my favorite show And that's why I hate the comparisions between the two because they're entirely different. I guess the last couple of seasons have spoiled me because while there've been clunkers, there's never been this many. I think it was unfair that they only had 3 days to learn their new dances, thanks to the 3 night premiere week.

I think the entire video package for Debi and Maks backfired. I know they were trying to bring a Love/hate relationship thing to the dance floor by showing her going off on Maks, but women who love Maks hate that. They don't want the guy emasculated and so the Maks voters parked it elsewhere. Big gamble..if Kathy wasn't so wooden out there Debi could have went home.
    I don't know if it offends Maks fans. I know for me it makes me cringe, only because I know it might offend other people. They had this thing about Maks being the bad boy of the ballroom who spoke his mind and was to the point even if it hurt. It worked for Laila and Mel B., because they didn't give two craps about it. They just laughed and dished right back at him. Now we've had two seasons where his partners have started crying. I don't think it's his fault, just the stress catching up to them. Obviously I think they intended to show Debi holding her ground when she said she didn't like him talking to her like that. I still believe Maks is a very popular pro, but the last 2 seasons he got someone well known that wasn't well liked and couldn't dance to save her life, and this season he got someone that probably doesn't have as big of a fan base as others but can dance.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3714803;
    I'm not sure this explanation will make sense to you, but it is what I've experienced as a ballroom dancer/instructor/judge. With many athletes, movement seems only a means to an end, with only the really great ones achieving the art within their sport. In Chuck Liddell's case, my impression is that his MMA training is "outcome focused." The essential training in ballroom is about movement being sufficient in itself, with the outcome as secondary or at least of different importance. Chuck may seem wooden or stiff because he does not feel the beauty and grace in the hold, step or kick. Until he, or any other would-be dancer, is able to truly feel the moment of the caminar, then he is only walking across the floor for no particular purpose other than that it is a required movement of the tango, for example.
    Wow, it took me a couple of times reading through this to thoroughly digest it, but the explanation is brilliant.
    This is going to sound crazy, but one of the businesses I set up a few years ago, to which I devoted a fair amount of time while it was getting established, was a MMA promotional fight company. I could see that it was the coming thing so we got the licenses, sponsored fighters, and staged some amateur/pro events.
    In MMA, defense is at least as important as offense because many fighters only capitalize on the mistakes made by their opponents. Watch a submission fight - it's all about staying in a ball where you have no exposed limbs. Every movement is calculated; the fighters are tight. The focus is intense because a mistake can mean being choked unconscious, a broken arm, or a dislocated knee. They never, they can't, let loose.
    This is very different than an ice skater, a gymnast, and even a football player or boxer - they can at times let it all hang out. Never in MMA.
    Chuck is toast as a dancer. What surprises me is that he, and Michael for that matter, don't have more of a fan base for this show.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3714888;
    I don't watch SYTYCD, this is my favorite show And that's why I hate the comparisions between the two because they're entirely different. I guess the last couple of seasons have spoiled me because while there've been clunkers, there's never been this many. I think it was unfair that they only had 3 days to learn their new dances, thanks to the 3 night premiere week.

I don't know if it offends Maks fans. I know for me it makes me cringe, only because I know it might offend other people. They had this thing about Maks being the bad boy of the ballroom who spoke his mind and was to the point even if it hurt. It worked for Laila and Mel B., because they didn't give two craps about it. They just laughed and dished right back at him. Now we've had two seasons where his partners have started crying. I don't think it's his fault, just the stress catching up to them. Obviously I think they intended to show Debi holding her ground when she said she didn't like him talking to her like that. I still believe Maks is a very popular pro, but the last 2 seasons he got someone well known that wasn't well liked and couldn't dance to save her life, and this season he got someone that probably doesn't have as big of a fan base as others but can dance.
    Just wanted to comment that while I agree with your posting about Maks being the bad boy and his fans knowing that - I wonder if this season is a little different. He is just coming off a break up that he has made very clear in the media that he did not want, was not his choice, and that it is very hard for him to see Karina every day right now. So I wonder if his fans are feeling more protective of him this season as he has shown vulnerability - so they don't want to see another woman hurting "their" Maks - at least not right now.

Not at all surprised to see Kathy go - the combination of not being able to loosen up and the stigma of being a former supermodel really did her in. They always get rid of the supermodels fairly quickly. I'll miss her poise, grace and positive attitude - such a plus on this show.
    I was very sorry to see Debi in the bottom. I truly hope her fanbase grows as she's been improving.
    It was fun to see Mickey Rourke in the audience even if he did look bored to death.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3714974;
    Not at all surprised to see Kathy go - the combination of not being able to loosen up and the stigma of being a former supermodel really did her in. They always get rid of the supermodels fairly quickly. I'll miss her poise, grace and positive attitude - such a plus on this show.
    I was very sorry to see Debi in the bottom. I truly hope her fanbase grows as she's been improving.
    It was fun to see Mickey Rourke in the audience even if he did look bored to death.
    I hated to see Kathy go too. I could tell Tony certainly felt it was coming.

What is with some of these pros when they get a star who they know doesn't "have it"? Their eyes and facial expressions when being judged are something else. I was surprised at Tony. Max and Karina were particularly bad about it in the past but since they have better partners this season, it is not as obvious.

I've been watching the DWTS shows (along with Surv and AR) but with football just haven't had time to post like I did last year. I'm going to have to get on the ball here, aren't I? So far I've been surprised with Donny. Don't think he will make it to the end though unless he can get more air in his lungs!
    I'm only here for the entertainment.

+ Reply to Thread