Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Natalie Coughlin - Season 9

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Natalie Coughlin - Season 9

Natalie Coughlin

PROFESSION:
    Olympic Swimming Gold Medalist

BACKGROUND:
    There are plenty of medals adorning this Olympic swimmer's mantle. Is there any room left up there for the coveted DWTS disco ball trophy?

Olympic swimming gold medalist Natalie Coughlin is the most decorated female athlete of both the 2004 Athens and 2008 Beijing Games. She won a medal in every single Olympic event that she ever entered—giving her a total of 11. In 2008, she became the first American female athlete to win six medals in one Olympiad. Additionally, she became the first woman to win consecutive individual Olympic gold medals in the 100m backstroke. Coughlin is also the most decorated female swimmer in World Championship history with sixteen medals.

Born and raised in northern California, Natalie first began swimming at the local YMCA when she was only 10 months old. At age 15, she became the first swimmer to qualify for the Summer National in all 14 events. A scholar-athlete, she attended the University of California, Berkeley, where she earned a B.A. in psychology in 2005. Recently, Natalie was nominated as the Top Female Athlete of the Year at the 2009 ESPY Awards.

ABC.com - Dancing With The Stars - Stars

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Natalie Coughlin - Season 9

She's parterned with one of my other favorite pros, Alec, who I hope lasts much longer this season than his past 3 attempts. I don't know much about Natalie but this is another pair I'm rooting for.

I wonder if she will do as well as the other previous Olympians.

I haven't heard any buzz about Natalie since the pairings were announced. I am really hoping she does well. I like her pairing with Alec. She is a solid role model and obviously a dedicated worker. She also has experience in front of a camera from her commentator days. She is in the prime of physical fittness. Why isn't anyone talking about her?

I do worry that she's one of the few to get little fanfare so far. If she doesn't come out and completely shine and blow everyone away, I'm afraid she'll get lost in the shuffle and wind up as an early boot

FORT Fanatic

My guess is she doesn't have a publicist to make sure she gets her name out there, or get's paparrazi videos, or knows when to "tweet" information to tip off the media. If she's good, none of the pre-show hype will matter. I think Kelly Osbourne is working it for example, because she isn't a good dancer but she wants to stay as long as she gets camera time.

I split my votes between Natalie and Kelly tonight. It's so good seeing Alec back and with a partner he seems to really enjoy working with. They have good chemistry together. Her salsa wasn't perfect, but I thought she deserved the #1 ranking in the relay foxtrot. I hope these two are given the chance and go the distance. Natalie showed amazing potential tonight and while I was worried about her dancing ability and lack of press, I guess now I'm only slightly worried about the latter.

I am rooting for Natalie -- she got all my votes last night! I think she has great potential and it is a great pairing with Alec. I was delightlfully surprised by Kelly's performance and will be rooting for her as well, but fully supported Natalie last night.

Michael Phelps did a musical video of her which is on youtube with many photos of her at competing at Beijing--music is "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This". Search Nancy Coughlin, poster is Mahnazmb, dated 7/22/09. There are many videos of her but this is the one I happened to see.

She is a beautiful athelete with star potential! Go Natalie!

Going back to Season 2, I always end up rooting for the athletes. Stacy Keibler, Layla Ali, Apollo, Helio, Kristi, Misty May, and Shawn and Ty last season. This season's no exception, and going into it, Natalie was my favorite. So glad to see her do so well last night! She is an amazing swimmer, and I really think she can be a front runner in this competition. 7 of my votes went to her; the other one went to Kelly.

Go Natalie!

I too believed that Natalie should have placed 1st in the relay. And Joanna's reaction, reaffirmed me that she is going to be an egotiscal pest this season. When competing side by side with other dancers, I like to see gracious winners (Mya), unlike Joanna and Donny.

My votes were divided between Natalie and Mya - with 1 going to Kelly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast