+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mya - Season 9

sdl

Re: Mya - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3726526;
    Makes me wonder why they played up that aspect of her training sessions. If they're trying to play down or even hide her professional dancing/choreography experience, why would they deliberately choose that specific footage to show on the air??
    I wondered the same thing.
    Two possibilities:
    a. They don't care, and just edited the footage they had.
    b. They are aware that her dance history is controversial, and decided to now feature it as though we knew all along and it's no big deal.
    The people I know watching the show did a complete double take, as in, "Did they just say what I thought they said - SHE is choreographing the dance?! Well, good luck to the swimmer and the swowboarder......"

FORT Fanatic

I think there's another good possibility that Len's critiques have merit, and the video package proved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3726526;
    Makes me wonder why they played up that aspect of her training sessions. If they're trying to play down or even hide her professional dancing/choreography experience, why would they deliberately choose that specific footage to show on the air??
    I think it's a combination of 3 things:

Backpedaling/CYA'ing.

She may have worked it into her contract to have her choreography talents showcased.

They're trying to fool voters into thinking she's making a breakthrough. IOW, she is someone who has done very, very well at dancing on the show because she is a "natural" (and not a pro dancer), and she's such a natural that she is supposedly beginning to choreograph, too.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

I don't know anything about her, just what I've seen on the show -- and I'm not a fan. First she says Dimitri's choreography is too hard, and then she says she's going to choreograph. Hmmmmmm.....if she has the talent to choreograph a dance, shouldn't she be able to follow someone else's instructions? I'm definitely with Len on this one.

I am enjoying Mya and Dimitry this season. I do not know much about Mya as an entertainer so she comes with a clean slate for me. But I understand she does have a controversial dance background and am very curious what the real truth is as she stands to win this competition! She did so fantastic last week, that she could come off as a pro dancer, IMO. She is a bit a Diva and admitted she and Dimitry jointly choreographed the routine until she thought the scores weren't going well and mentioned Dimitry was too hard?

I have the Chicago DVD and plan to check out Mya's performance.

At least they willl keep Derek and Joanna on their toes!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;3730488;
    I am enjoying Mya and Dimitry this season. I do not know much about Mya as an entertainer so she comes with a clean slate for me. But I understand she does have a controversial dance background and am very curious what the real truth is as she stands to win this competition! She did so fantastic last week, that she could come off as a pro dancer, IMO. She is a bit a Diva and admitted she and Dimitry jointly choreographed the routine until she thought the scores weren't going well and mentioned Dimitry was too hard?

I have the Chicago DVD and plan to check out Mya's performance.

At least they willl keep Derek and Joanna on their toes!
    Ouch! At a 104 degree fever, I think Derek is on the flat of his back! I'm sure he is in excellent physical shape, but I wonder how long it takes to recover from that kind of flu?
    Of course, she has Maks (personalities have to blend!) which definitely isn't a detriment as far as I am concerned.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3730496;
    Ouch! At a 104 degree fever, I think Derek is on the flat of his back! I'm sure he is in excellent physical shape, but I wonder how long it takes to recover from that kind of flu?
    Of course, she has Maks (personalities have to blend!) which definitely isn't a detriment as far as I am concerned.
    Whoops, wasn't thinking about Derek being ill when I made that comment. My intent was that Derek and Joanna are real competition for Mya and Dimtry.

I know Joanna is working out with Maks, what if Derek can't peform, would Mak stand in? I realize Derek will be able to pick up the routine, but I never know how the pro's dance when they don't feel well? I guess that is why they are called pro's!

I just watched Mya do the tango in Chicago. If you go to You Tube and search for "cell block tango from Chicago" you will be able to see her part. {it's at the 6:00 mark}

She is the last solo female dance and then she is at the end in the group dance. If this doesn't prove that she's a professional dancer I don't know what will.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3732581;
    I just watched Mya do the tango in Chicago. If you go to You Tube and search for "cell block tango from Chicago" you will be able to see her part. {it's at the 6:00 mark}

She is the last solo female dance and then she is at the end in the group dance. If this doesn't prove that she's a professional dancer I don't know what will.
    Hello Everyone - I'm new here and just read the 10/20 thread, which I found very interesting. Enjoyed the DWTS insight from SDL, Peach's thoughts and everyone's comments.

The comments about Mya's dance bio mysteriously disappearing from her website made me curious, so I looked on the Wayback Machine (internet archive) and found this: (The site won't allow me to post the link just yet since I am new and they want to avoid spam, but will try to post the URL with extra asterisks.)
    h*ttp//web.archive.org/web/20000510074343/myamya.com/mya/main.h*tml

"Mya: The Dancer

Although Mya’s talents as a vocalist have brought her to the attention of millions, it is ironically her passion and talent for tap dance that launched her on her journey toward becoming a superstar entertainer. In fact, before Mya had ever been discovered as a singer, she had graced many esteemed stages, including appearances at the Kennedy Center, Lincoln Center, Smithsonian and the Shakespeare Theater. This is the story of Mya the dancer…

Mya, a shy but very charming and personable two year old, was first enrolled in dance classes by her mother. During her early education, which focused on tap and ballet, she demonstrated a natural talent. By the tender age of five years old, Mya was able to mimic dance steps, sounds and rhythms. Her skill reflected a maturity and ability well beyond her years. Eager to see this natural talent evolve, and fearful that the type of group lessons she was in would not allow her to advance as she seemed naturally inclined to do, Mya’s mom took it upon herself to not only learn tap but to home school Mya in it. It was a family affair, with even Mya’s brother in the mix. Mother would choreograph routines for them, and she and the children would practice often. This family effort led to appearances in dance competitions, where the other entrants were from established dancing schools. Without fail, Mya and her brother would come out on top of their category.

Mya’s interest in dance hit a low point when she was ten. After years of group lessons, she grew bored and frustrated with them because she was more advanced than the available class instruction could accommodate. Further, even her mother was not able to keep up with her runaway talent. Mya decided to take a break from group lessons and set out on her own, highly individualized course.

Mya’s new focus was home study of tap masters. She began to study videotaped performances of all of tap's greatest talents and of tap related topics. Her near photographic memory for movements and steps made it easy for her to learn the techniques of these masters. When Mya was eleven, her mother discovered an advertisement of auditions for a local tap company called TWA (Tappers With Attitude) and encouraged her to go for it. Not surprisingly, she was accepted into the group.

Mya’s next important opportunity came two years later when she was accepted into a brief association with the renowned tapper Savion Glover’s Washington D.C. tap residency. Although she had tried out in two previous years, she had not been accepted due to her lack of certain technical knowledge about tap. All that changed after her time with TWA and her diligent study of video footage.

Glover took notice of Mya’s gift for improvisation rhythm and sounds and selected her for a solo spot in performances at the Kennedy Center and the Dance Place. This was noteworthy not just because of Mya’s youth, but also because rhythm tap was male dominated. For a woman to be a featured soloist was highly unusual. It seemed Mya’s somewhat unorthodox educational experiences had poised her to vault over the gender barriers in tap. Mya’s solo talent was also showcased at the Shakespeare Theater, when Carol Vaughn of the Tap America Project recognized her star quality and invited her to perform in the show “Scorch Marks On The Floor.”

Seeing as she hadn’t the time to choreograph and rehearse new and varied routines for each appearance, when she gave her many performances Mya simply improvised each time. This baptism by fire, of sorts, allowed her to build a unique sort of feel and confidence.

Later, in 1993, Mya was invited to attend and perform in Glover’s Boston, Massachusetts tap residency, finishing with a three night performance at the Strand Theater. Also, during the summer of 1993, Mya studied tap and jazz dance in New York City at the Broadway Dance Center and Woodpeckers.

Mya’s gift as a tap improvisationalist received consistent recognition. In fact, in 1992 she was an Honorable Mention recipient of the highly regarded Steve Condos Scholarship, which scholarship traditionally only honored one recipient annually. Mya was recognized with an unprecedented Honorable Mention because her talent and promise as a tapper deserved notice. Another recognition was a 1994 Tap America Scholarship which sent her to the International Tap Festival in Portland, Oregon.

To witness Mya’s tap improv is to view an impressive example of musicality, charisma and rhythmic magic. She masterfully commands an audience’s attention and as she continued to mature as a dancer, her confidence and ambition to excel and be featured in the spotlight developed as well. Mya has enthusiastically shared the stage with many tap masters, including Gregory Hines, Savion Glover, Harold Nicholas, Buster Brown and Brenda Bufalino.

Once she had a command of her own talent, Mya was not content to keep it all to herself. Her compassionate and generous nature, as well as her easy going personality, made it easy for her to share her knowledge and skills with others. At age 14, she began teaching tap to both kids and adults. She taught and choreographed at numerous dance studios around her hometown, including private instruction.

What had started as a youthful hobby had evolved into a burgeoning career for this teenage dynamo. For most of her life, Mya had approached her dance in a somewhat informal and unorthodox fashion, defying convention and appearances in favor of practicality, pure enjoyment and advancement. In fact, financial necessity had meant that she had always tapped wearing an assortment of shoes found in thrift stores and in altered street shoes. By the time she was 14, she could no longer get by without professional tap shoes.

Mya’s love of dance also led her to pursue more traditional teen activities. In high school she was active in the pom pom squad and, in fact, was captain of the squad in her senior year. Also as a senior, she was active in Black Entertainment Television’s “Teen Summit,” where she honed and enhanced her hip hop dance skills.

As Mya continued to perform and flourish, a second talent began to emerge. Quite by coincidence, people started to notice that she had a beautiful voice. Through word of mouth she was given the opportunity to sing the National Anthem, a cappella, at an event at her high school. After that performance, there was no stopping Mya from pursuing her gift for song. The next chapter in Mya’s dynamic and magical journey as an entertainer then began…"

I have no problem with Mya being on the show. However, what I do have a problem with is who they chose to compete with her. If you are going to cast someone with extensive dance ability, then you should follow that lead and make it a whole cast stars with extensive dance background. That way it actually feels like a competition. If you aren't, then stick to stars with little or no dance history. Otherwise, it's boring and predictable.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread