+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mya - Season 9

Re: Mya - Season 9

I really Mya does not win.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

So I question was the real choreographer in this dance and who was the student. I'm over these two and would really, really love for a shocking elimination if it meant losing these two. Mya still seemed shocked over the 10's but what was she expecting? I'm glad Len called her out and said why he's critiquing her the way he is. CA and Bruno need to grow up. Dmitry is good eye candy but he's coming across a little overconfident and arrogant. Mya looked fake shocked tonight after the performance, but also like she knew they nailed it. They needed a more challenging dance, maybe the two step. But I'm sure they'll get that some week just so the show can say they lost steam and knock them down to second for a week.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3726315;
    So I question was the real choreographer in this dance and who was the student. I'm over these two and would really, really love for a shocking elimination if it meant losing these two. Mya still seemed shocked over the 10's but what was she expecting? I'm glad Len called her out and said why he's critiquing her the way he is. CA and Bruno need to grow up. Dmitry is good eye candy but he's coming across a little overconfident and arrogant. Mya looked fake shocked tonight after the performance, but also like she knew they nailed it. They needed a more challenging dance, maybe the two step. But I'm sure they'll get that some week just so the show can say they lost steam and knock them down to second for a week.
    I am officially bitter and have lost all objectivity when it comes to Mya.
    I watched the show with some people who don't follow this like we do and when they showed her doing her own choreography, they were like, "WTF?! What is this chick doing on a show with a snowboarder, a swimmer, and a UFC thug?" Not exactly an even playing field.
    What really angers me is that they introduce her as a recording artist, ignoring that she is really a professional dancer and choreographer who has tried to break into singing with limited success. Therefore, based on her performance, the clueless masses are voting for her.
    I don't care who wins this season as long as it's not her (or Aaron, but that's another topic).

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3726322;
    I watched the show with some people who don't follow this like we do and when they showed her doing her own choreography, they were like, "WTF?! What is this chick doing on a show with a snowboarder, a swimmer, and a UFC thug?" Not exactly an even playing field.
    What really angers me is that they introduce her as a recording artist, ignoring that she is really a professional dancer and choreographer who has tried to break into singing with limited success. Therefore, based on her performance, the clueless masses are voting for her.
    I don't care who wins this season as long as it's not her (or Aaron, but that's another topic).
    I'll add two other blonde ladies and their blonde and black haired partners, but you're right, that's for their threads

I read your comment in the episode thread about Julianne and got thinking. Would someone who was a breakout media star on SYTYCD be recruited over to DWTS, even if they aren't trained in ballroom? Or, like you said with Julianne, that's like saying she's a recording artist so who cares what dance training she's had, even if it is ballroom. I'm over that rule and exception, whether Mya had formal ballroom training or not. She's got a huge advantage and it shows.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3726322;

Limited singing, that shows you know nothing about Mya! Do you know the 1st time the black community heard of her is at 18 years old when she released her 1st album? Do you know she's won 2 Grammy awards? Do you know she's a huge R&B star? Just because she does not sing your type of music that does not make her a non-singer. In fact she's known by her fans as an R&B singer that taps and that's the facts not your rumour spreading lies! Ask any black person under 30, who is Mya and I bet you they'll say 100% "the singer", no black person would ever refer to her as "the dancer" because she's a singer. Trying to evolve into an actress but her main bread winner is singing.

FACTS - Mya has got 5 top 10 hits and 8 top 20's hits in 5 albums. So if you think 2 Grammys and 5 top 10 hits and 5 albums in 12 years don't make her an R&B singer then you're delusional.
    Last edited by caribsa89; 10-13-2009 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caribsa89;3726341;
    Limited singing, that shows you know nothing about Mya! Do you know the 1st time the black community heard of her is at 18 years old when she released her 1st album? Do you know she's won 2 Grammy awards? Do you know she's a huge R&B star? Just because she does not sing your type of music that does not make her a non-singer. In fact she's known by her fans as an R&B singer that taps and that's the facts not your rumour spreading lies! Ask any black person under 30, who is Mya and I bet you they'll say 100% "the singer", no black person would ever refer to her as "the dancer" because she's a singer. Trying to evolve into an actress but her main bread winner is singing.

FACTS - Mya has got 5 top 10 hits and 8 top 20's hits in 5 albums. So if you think 2 Grammys and 5 top 10 hits and 5 albums in 12 years don't make her an R&B singer then you're delusional.

She is both a recording artist and professional dancer. However, it's the latter that makes us angry for her to be on this show, as it really does not make for an even playing field.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Coco46;3726347;
    She is both a recording artist and professional dancer. However, it's the latter that makes us angry for her to be on this show, as it really does not make for an even playing field.
    No she is not a professional dancer. She knows how to tap and is so good at it that she was invited to perform with 2 of the greatest tappers when she was a teenager (I hope you know both appearances where before she was 18). That opened doors for her to meet people in the industry and she got a record contract at 17 years old and released her 1st album at 18 years old. The tapping also separated her from your typical R&B singer while she needed an edge. She use to emphasize it in every interview and would tell us how she was invited for a solo at 14 years old with one of the great tappers. I was there at that BET "Teen Summit" when Mya made that appearance when she taught us a class on "tapping"! Most of us could not even do the basic moves eventhough Mya was a great teacher. There where a couple of sorority and fraternity people there and they picked it up real quickly due to stepping. I hate when mis-information are spread and I who have met and followed her career are telling you it's not true. Mya also teaches tap to inner city kids in her free time. What I told you about Mya are facts not here say.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by caribsa89;3726349;
    No she is not a professional dancer. She knows how to tap and is so good at it that she was invited to perform with 2 of the greatest tappers when she was a teenager (I hope you know both appearances where before she was 18). That opened doors for her to meet people in the industry and she got a record contract at 17 years old and released her 1st album at 18 years old. The tapping also separated her from your typical R&B singer while she needed an edge. She use to emphasize it in every interview and would tell us how she was invited for a solo at 14 years old with one of the great tappers. I was there at that BET "Teen Summit" when Mya made that appearance when she taught us a class on "tapping"! Most of us could not even do the basic moves eventhough Mya was a great teacher. There where a couple of sorority and fraternity people there and they picked it up real quickly due to stepping. I hate when mis-information are spread and I who have met and followed her career are telling you it's not true. Mya also teaches tap to inner city kids in her free time. What I told you about Mya are facts not here say.

In this show, the professional choreographs and teaches "the star". However, in the rehearsal clip we blatantly heard Dimity say that he and Mya take turns choreographying. How can that be if she doesn't know how to already do it?
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by caribsa89;3726341;

Before I ever commented on Mya, I did my homework. She has not had any recording success since 2003. Her last 2 albums had limited release - only in Japan. That is the kiss of death for a recording artist.
    She has, however, continued to dance and choreograph with performers such as Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Beyonce, and Usher. And to say it is limited to "tap" is simply ridiculous. Are Beyonce and Janet Jackson "tap dancers?" She's right there with them on video.
    Go to youtube and enter her name. She is a great dancer and teacher of dance. The videos don't lie.
    If the Japanese and people who remember her old stuff like her singing, that's great too. But it doesn't change the fact that having someone on DWTS who choreographs their own dancing is offensive to those who are playing it straight up.
    Last edited by sdl; 10-13-2009 at 12:39 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3726520;
    Before I ever commented on Mya, I did my homework. She has not had any recording success since 2003. Her last 2 albums had limited release - only in Japan. That is the kiss of death for a recording artist.
    She has, however, continued to dance and choreograph with performers such as Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Beyonce, and Usher. And to say it is limited to "tap" is simply ridiculous. Are Beyonce and Janet Jackson "tap dancers?" She's right there with them on video.
    Go to youtube and enter her name. She is a great dancer and teacher of dance. The videos don't lie.
    If the Japanese and people who remember her old stuff like her singing, that's great too. But it doesn't change the fact that having someone on DWTS who choreographs their own dancing is offensive to those who are playing it straight up.
    Makes me wonder why they played up that aspect of her training sessions. If they're trying to play down or even hide her professional dancing/choreography experience, why would they deliberately choose that specific footage to show on the air??

+ Reply to Thread