+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mya - Season 9

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Mya - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3722403;
    This is as inaccurate as it is blatantly biased.
    For all of "You people who think you know have no clue!" please go to youtube and simply type in "Mya dance." That's it. The flood of hits you will get include:
    Mya dancing to Pleasure Principle on MTV in 2001.
    "Best Dance Ever" between Mya and Janet Jackson and Pink.
    Mya teaching professional dance rehearsal ("she's the best dancer around!")
    Beyonce vs. Mya vs. Ciara ULTIMATE DANCE OFF BATTLE
    and on and on and on.......
    After you see her dance pre-DWTS, you tell me if these videos don't look just like the numbers we see Cheryl and Kym and the Macy's Stars doing almost every week. Except Mya may be better.
    To try to blow this off as "just tap dancing" is dishonest in the extreme. Let your eyes be the judge.
    Mya is a professional dancer on par with Janet Jackson. I think that says it all.
    Personally, and maybe I would have to see her side by side with the pros, but I think they'd blow her out of the water. I think she's a professional, but a professional at ballroom? That's where I may disagree. Nevertheless, I'm still not happy with her extreme advantage over the other couples. It's no different than Kristi. I would say Sabrina and Mel B., but those two had too much hip hop and pop going on and worse habits to break. Same thing with Joey Fatone.

However, I can see why people would root for her. I like Dmitry and that'd be reason enough for me But for people that want a good dancer to prevail, that's where she's going to get the votes.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3722409;
    Personally, and maybe I would have to see her side by side with the pros, but I think they'd blow her out of the water. I think she's a professional, but a professional at ballroom? That's where I may disagree. Nevertheless, I'm still not happy with her extreme advantage over the other couples. It's no different than Kristi. I would say Sabrina and Mel B., but those two had too much hip hop and pop going on and worse habits to break. Same thing with Joey Fatone.

However, I can see why people would root for her. I like Dmitry and that'd be reason enough for me But for people that want a good dancer to prevail, that's where she's going to get the votes.
    Karalott, i could not disagree more.
    "Ballroom" on DWTS in 2009 includes the occasional waltz but LOTS of jazz, hip hop, and "Latin" moves.
    Kristi was an ice skater for goodness sakes. Please watch Mya on youtube and then tell me that the choreography, the ability to move with precision, and the showmanship doesn't look just like what we see so often on DWTS.
    If the idea for this season is that they just wanted a good dancer to prevail, then they picked the right person. She has danced professionally with both Janet and Michael Jackson and held her own.
    She was selected to do a solo dance performance at the Kennedy Center - have Dmitry or Maks or Derek or Cheryl ever done that?
    I'm sorry but I can't just marginalize this as though it's nothing. It's wrong.
    I rarely disagree with you but this is different.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3722445;
    Karalott, i could not disagree more.
    "Ballroom" on DWTS in 2009 includes the occasional waltz but LOTS of jazz, hip hop, and "Latin" moves.
    Kristi was an ice skater for goodness sakes. Please watch Mya on youtube and then tell me that the choreography, the ability to move with precision, and the showmanship doesn't look just like what we see so often on DWTS.
    If the idea for this season is that they just wanted a good dancer to prevail, then they picked the right person. She has danced professionally with both Janet and Michael Jackson and held her own.
    She was selected to do a solo dance performance at the Kennedy Center - have Dmitry or Maks or Derek or Cheryl ever done that?
    I'm sorry but I can't just marginalize this as though it's nothing. It's wrong.
    I'm sorry to disagree with you.
    Don't be sorry, that's what having opinons are for And I don't disagree with you completely, even though my post probably sounds like. I guess I'll touch on something, what does having danced professionally with other performers have to do with anything? I'm just curious where you're going with that. Unless you're just stating the obvious, which is she's that good and at that level (which is what I thought, so if I'm wrong, just correct me). I'm at work and can't access Youtube but you've got me curious, so I will check out those videos you pointed out. I do agree with you that if this were Beyonce, Janet, or Madonna no one would be shrugging it off, even though those are 3 of my favorite artists. I passed Mya off as more a one hit wonder type because I never heard anything of hers besides Ghetto Supastar and the remake of Lady Marmelade, and those were all with other artists. Even when she was announced in the line up, I had to think for a second who she was.

I guess because the ringer issue is nothing new to DWTS, I just bite my tongue and deal with it and hope that someone else comes through or she gets voted out in a shocker. I'm not overly convinced she has a huge fan base voting for her. I would rather Mya not have been cast, simply because of her dance experience, and that showed more this week than last. I would rather, as I've stated, the dancers have some experience or at least be on equal footing, rather than cast the poor souls with absolutely no chance of winning over someone they can justify taking home the trophy based on their overexperience with dancing. If it came down to voting for Mya over couples I dislike, then she'd get my votes more out of spite for the other ones. But I am rooting for Natalie, Kelly, and Louie, and am hoping that those 4 go the distance. I think in the end they will have deserved it, and show what this show began as and what I wish it had stayed more like. I think you might have been the one to bring up the ratings issue in another thread; I read on another site that apparently the ratings for this past week were at the lowest they've ever been for a fall edition. A bunch of things could come into play why that is, but some people may see no reason tuning in thinking it's a two person race between Mya and Donny that what's the point?

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3721660;
    According to Maya's own website (before her bio mysteriously was taken down), she started ballet at the age of 2 and then tap and jazz at the age of 4 around the age of 10 to 14 (sources vary on the age and her site didn't make it clear) she was being couched by none other than Savion Glover (who gave her a solo spot in a Kennedy Center performance when she was 14) and was entering dance competitions with her brother. She was a dancer way before she was a singer, it was dancing that led her to singing which she didn't cut her first demo till she was 15. I would definitely consider her a professional dancer.

But none of that is available for public consumption on her website anymore. Sort of fishy, don't you think? Why would somebody take her bio down? It was there a couple of weeks ago and now it's not.
    Wow, Harmony, I had no idea how vast her dance background was. You got me curious about her mysteriously missing bio, and I dug up her dancer bio from her website in 2002 using archive.org. There are many other archived versions of her website here, which may be worth reading through.

Playing detective is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Valancy;3722463;
    Wow, Harmony, I had no idea how vast her dance background was. You got me curious about her mysteriously missing bio, and I dug up her dancer bio from her website in 2002 using archive.org. There are many other archived versions of her website here, which may be worth reading through.

Well, it certainly is giving us something to do this season. Rather than the fan wars, I guess this is the ringer wars. But for me, I'm busy following tabs on the Maks/Karina/Aaron break up/home wrecking/love triangle deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Valancy;3722463;

Hey that's cool! I didn't know you could dig up old deleted stuff from websites. Playing detective is fun and like Karalott said, it beats the heck out of fan wars! LOL. I'm not much into love triangles so it's more interesting for me to dig up more ringer information.

By the way, I happen to think Mya is very talented and beautiful, I am just not happy with a professional competing against those who aren't. It's not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3722580;
    By the way, I happen to think Mya is very talented and beautiful, I am just not happy with a professional competing against those who aren't. It's not right.

I had no idea she had that extensive of a background. She's competing against folks who've had no experience at all, or some like Donny/Aaron who've had some experience. It's sure not a level playing field at all.

Perhaps this explains Len's scoring of her; maybe he doesn't like the fact that she's the Ringiest Ringer that ever Ringed.

ASassyKat: It's actually one of the things I like about Mr. GrumpyLen. He tends to score on the level of their experience. I've noticed that he scores the ringers on a higher curve to make it more "fair" and I really appreciate that. Mya is pretty much a professional so he gives her the type of scores you'd give a professional. Some scream and holler that it's not fair, that no way did she deserve a 6 when she was way better than everybody else and I have to disagree with that. She is way better because she has way more training and should be scored tougher.

I wish they would do that for all the ringers.

I'm sick of her and Dmitry acting so shocked whenever she does well. I'm not buying it, nobody else. So enough with pretending that she didn't already know that she would be better than the rest. No need to get cocky about it but at least don't do this fake shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3722805;
    ASassyKat: It's actually one of the things I like about Mr. GrumpyLen. He tends to score on the level of their experience. I've noticed that he scores the ringers on a higher curve to make it more "fair" and I really appreciate that. Mya is pretty much a professional so he gives her the type of scores you'd give a professional. Some scream and holler that it's not fair, that no way did she deserve a 6 when she was way better than everybody else and I have to disagree with that. She is way better because she has way more training and should be scored tougher.

I wish they would do that for all the ringers.

I'm sick of her and Dmitry acting so shocked whenever she does well. I'm not buying it, nobody else. So enough with pretending that she didn't already know that she would be better than the rest. No need to get cocky about it but at least don't do this fake shock.
    That's why I think Len is scoring them so low. I appreciate the fact he's on the panel because, as I've said, he's a voice of reason. While CA and Bruno look for lifts and stand up and wave their arms and take about the dance being like an airy fairy or being McStiffy, Len seems to actually grade based on the dance level. He seems to really be after Mya/Dmitry and I think it is because of the level that she's at. I only wish the other two would stop interrupting him the second he says something negative. But I'm glad he holds Mya to a different level and scores her based on what he feels she's capable of. I also question the high scores they've gotten, and am wondering if it's possible they aren't scoring as high in the fan votes.

I've also said I'm tired of Mya acting so surprised when they compliment her dancing. You'd think she's never done it before Even someone like Natalie, who got rave reviews this week, didn't act overconfident or so shocked. It reminds me of that singer on AI a few seasons ago, Melinda I think, who was the absolute best in the group and as close to a pro as one could get. She always looked shocked when the judges complimented her singing and sung her praises. Simon finally told her to quit acting shocked, she knows she can sing Maybe Len will say that to Mya.

Hey that's cool! I didn't know you could dig up old deleted stuff from websites. Playing detective is fun and like Karalott said, it beats the heck out of fan wars! LOL. I'm not much into love triangles so it's more interesting for me to dig up more ringer information.
    It should show how boring this season is that we're playing detective for no real reason Usually it's looking for the ringers to prove someone else's favorite is a bigger ringer than their's!
    Last edited by karalott; 10-09-2009 at 02:14 PM.

While Len can often come across as stodgy and a purist, he is usually the only one whose opinions I find accurate. He doesn't seem to "play to" the audience like the others.
    I think this season has a lot of controversy with whether Mya is a ringer or not due to the fact that it's not all that exciting.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread