+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mya - Season 9

sdl

Re: Mya - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by caribsa89;3721600;
    That's true! By the way for the people talking in this thread that does not know anything about Mya, she's a tapper and she did not make a career out it. She's been an R&B singer since the age of 18. She has never been a professional dancer, she's a singer that dances in her video and concerts. And the style of R&B she sings (closer to dance pop music), she would not make it if she could not dance; no one would go to her concerts because most fast music R&B singers have to be able to entertain through dancing. At least she did not hire a ballroom teacher like Donny Osmond. I guess his blatant cheating is excusable huh!
    This is complete and utter nonsense.
    Please go to youtube and watch Mya dance with her troup of professionals in concert. Her moves and skill level are completely indistinguishable from watching, say, Cheryl Burke dance with the Macy's Stars.
    There is also video of her teaching professional dancers to do steps that look exactly like the practice videos we see on DWTS.
    Then watch Donny Osmond's concert videos - where his dancing consists mostly of walking out of step with the music.
    Having Mya on DWTS is tantamount to inviting Britney Spears or Janet Jackson, then saying, "well, it wasn't ballroom."

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3721660;
    According to Maya's own website (before her bio mysteriously was taken down), she started ballet at the age of 2 and then tap and jazz at the age of 4 around the age of 10 to 14 (sources vary on the age and her site didn't make it clear) she was being couched by none other than Savion Glover (who gave her a solo spot in a Kennedy Center performance when she was 14) and was entering dance competitions with her brother. She was a dancer way before she was a singer, it was dancing that led her to singing which she didn't cut her first demo till she was 15. I would definitely consider her a professional dancer.

But none of that is available for public consumption on her website anymore. Sort of fishy, don't you think? Why would somebody take her bio down? It was there a couple of weeks ago and now it's not.

I remember all this because a co-worker and I got into an argument about whether or not she was a ringer lol and he finally had to concede that she was indeed one.

By the way, anybody got any proof that she's a choreographer of anything other than her own stuff? I am not sure that's a title she should have on her as a reason for being a ringer since I've yet to locate any evidence of that or the one stating she teaches dancing.

Mya - AskMen.com Go here. She's apparently been teaching kids since she was 14.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Fraud: "A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain."

The definition seems to perfectly fit her participation this season...

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3722020;
    Fraud: "A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain."

The definition seems to perfectly fit her participation this season...
    And the hits keep on coming...

Some just sent me this re Mya from the website of the Kennedy Center here in Washington, DC:

"As both a sassy, soulful singer and a supremely gifted dancer, Mya commands the stage with an energy and passion that have made her one of today's most popular performers. She captivates audiences from coast to coast with her infectious hit songs (Case of the Ex) and her famous improvisational tap numbers."

and from this bio on Exodus.com the following:

"Yet it was dancing, not singing, which encouraged Mya to bloom. Born in Washington, DC, Mya (she says she was named for Maya Angelou) was two years old when her father stood her in the Reflecting Pool between the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial-and she danced. She started ballet classes immediately, then tap and jazz, but lost interest when she was eight. At 12, she found herself watching videos of her dancing and her desire suddenly rekindled. She studied tapes of Tony Award winner Savion Glover, the tap dance prodigy now best-known for the Broadway hit Bring In Da Noise, Bring In Da Funk, until she learned his routines and then joined the group T.W.A. (Tappers With Attitude). She went solo before heading to New York to study with Glover in a residency with the famed Dance Theater of Harlem. Soon after, she earned a reputation for improvisation and an impressed Glover gave her a solo spot during a Kennedy Center performance. Mya has subsequently appeared on BET's "Teen Summit" and has taught dance to children ever since she herself was 14: 'I teach them there's no limit to their dreams.'"

And to completely connect the dots, does anyone remember this from last year?

"Savion Glover will be featured on the “Dancing with the Stars” results show tonight, September 26th (2007). Accompanying him will be Maurice Chestnut, Marshall Davis, Ashley DeForest, Rhonda Jordan and Shaina Mitchell."

Ringer... and I think we may now know who introduced her to the producers.
    Last edited by Peacheater; 10-08-2009 at 05:56 PM.

FORT Newbie

Exactly like I stated; she's a tapper. If you ever saw Savion Glover dance, you would know that. I bet you Savion Glover could not do ballroom to save his life. If you watch SYTYCD, you would see that most of the hip-hop, and tappers have the worst time picking other genre because of the sharp movement and stops their dance requires. Donny would have been as bad as his sister with no training. I guess it's OK to excuse the fact that he ACTUALLY had ballroom training because she's better then him! I'm a big fan of Mya and about 3 years younger then her and I can tell you she's known as a singer that's trying to break into acting by taking small roles. We all know about the tapping because her 1st video. By the way I was there at the BET Teen Summit when Mya made that appearance. Mya is known as an R&B singer in the black community, PERIOD that taps! You people who think you know have no clue! You just concentrating on her because she's better then the rest of them. Don't vote for her, like you guys had any attention of doing anyway. Let me let you guys know a little secret, I belong to 2 music board and a hair board and we have hundred of thousand members that are all voting for her. They don't join this board or ABC board because it's not their cup of tea. That's probably why Len is low scoring her. she's probably getting more votes then all the contestants. We post her number right after she dances on each board so everyone will have a chance to vote for her. She has a good chance winning with us power voting for her.

Peacheater That's pretty much the same stuff I had posted earlier. It used to be right on her website but it was taken down a couple of weeks ago.

This whole thing has just gotten ridiculous.

I read the part of her teaching dance to children in her missing bio but honestly? I don't really have a problem with that since what I read its due to some charity she is either a part of or started.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by caribsa89;3722200;
    Exactly like I stated; she's a tapper. If you ever saw Savion Glover dance, you would know that. I bet you Savion Glover could not do ballroom to save his life. If you watch SYTYCD, you would see that most of the hip-hop, and tappers have the worst time picking other genre because of the sharp movement and stops their dance requires. Donny would have been as bad as his sister with no training. I guess it's OK to excuse the fact that he ACTUALLY had ballroom training because she's better then him! I'm a big fan of Mya and about 3 years younger then her and I can tell you she's known as a singer that's trying to break into acting by taking small roles. We all know about the tapping because her 1st video. By the way I was there at the BET Teen Summit when Mya made that appearance. Mya is known as an R&B singer in the black community, PERIOD that taps! You people who think you know have no clue! You just concentrating on her because she's better then the rest of them. Don't vote for her, like you guys had any attention of doing anyway. Let me let you guys know a little secret, I belong to 2 music board and a hair board and we have hundred of thousand members that are all voting for her. They don't join this board or ABC board because it's not their cup of tea. That's probably why Len is low scoring her. she's probably getting more votes then all the contestants. We post her number right after she dances on each board so everyone will have a chance to vote for her. She has a good chance winning with us power voting for her.
    There is a possibility that is how Gilles lost last year. It was explained by a source that he had "dirty votes". I don't know if "dirty votes" and "power voting" are the same thing, but it kind of sounds like it to me.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Thanks for sharing your secret. Now I'll share mine. I've been a ballroom dancer for four decades, much of it as a professional first in national and international competitions and in recent years, since my retirement from competition, I've occasionally been a judge. I know a fellow pro when I see one. I admire Mya's talent, which she has in abundance. I'd love to dance with her. However, I do not find in inclusion in the cast to be fair to those who have never studied dance professionally. Ballroom dance is different from tap, to be sure, but it is miles and miles removed from beating someone's face into a bloody pulp in the octagon, to pick the most extreme example available.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I don't agree with Mya's being a ringer, or with them covering up her dance experience after they acknowledged it and said no big deal in the first place. But, they continue to say no ballroom dance experience. If Mya hasn't had ballroom dance experience, then technically I'm not sure there's any fraud involved. I mean, she's not the first ringer, nor will she be the last, I don't find her entertaining to watch, and she won't be getting my votes because I have other non-ringers I'm rooting for. I guess it's maybe a case of spoiling the fans; people can complain about the bad dancers and how everybody stinks and they need to find people who can dance, but then when a ringer shows up it goes back the other way. Just like when people complaina botu Mr. Grumpy and the low scores, but complain about 8-10's being given out for dances that don't really deserve it. Personally, when it comes to this show, I'm more about being entertained, which is why I don't mind that Chuck/Anna are still around. Mya/Dmitry seem fun in their rehearsal packages but I barely pay attention when they're actually dancing. I'd rather see just the Gilles and Natalie's every season, but that'll never happen. But I feel she's got a legitimate shot at winning, probably the best lock for the final 3 so far.

sdl

Exactly like I stated; she's a tapper. Mya is known as an R&B singer in the black community, PERIOD that taps! You people who think you know have no clue! You just concentrating on her because she's better then the rest of them. Don't vote for her, like you guys had any attention of doing anyway. Let me let you guys know a little secret, I belong to 2 music board and a hair board and we have hundred of thousand members that are all voting for her. She has a good chance winning with us power voting for her.
    This is as inaccurate as it is blatantly biased.
    For all of "You people who think you know have no clue!" please go to youtube and simply type in "Mya dance." That's it. The flood of hits you will get include:
    Mya dancing to Pleasure Principle on MTV in 2001.
    "Best Dance Ever" between Mya and Janet Jackson and Pink.
    Mya teaching professional dance rehearsal ("she's the best dancer around!")
    Beyonce vs. Mya vs. Ciara ULTIMATE DANCE OFF BATTLE
    and on and on and on.......
    After you see her dance pre-DWTS, you tell me if these videos don't look just like the numbers we see Cheryl and Kym and the Macy's Stars doing almost every week. Except Mya may be better.
    To try to blow this off as "just tap dancing" is dishonest in the extreme. Let your eyes be the judge.
    Mya is a professional dancer on par with Janet Jackson. I think that says it all.

+ Reply to Thread