+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Mark Dacascos - Season 9

Re: Mark Dacascos - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3744190;
    I just read Maks' Celebrity Blog and he now has a fan for life. Everything he said was so true, and he has amazing guts to say it on the record.
    As for Mark, he totally won me over as the season progressed, and a person of his integrity will be greatly missed.
    Unlike Bruno and Carrie Anne, Maks is a qualified ballroom dance judge and will be doing just that in Cambridge at the Yankee Classic next June. I particularly appreciate this in reference to the judging:
    I'm just livid because I feel antics like that distract from the show and those of us who want to promote ballroom dancing and the art of dance in general have to defend the judges and explain that "they didn't mean it." We've spent the past nine seasons bringing it to people, introducing it to a new audience. I love getting asked questions about it, explaining it to people, writing about it here for you to read. I want people to learn about dance and hopefully like it and the stuff they did on the show can hurt that.
    Personally, I'd love to see Maks replace one of the three judges next season.

In all fairness to Mark, he wasn't the first to be called in last minute and / or have to change partners, etc.
    Last season, Melissa was called in at the 11th hour. She also got shredded mercilessly on the boards last season.
    I thought when I first started watching this season, Mark would be a big contender. I assumed that based on his acting, his martial arts background and general fitness, he'd do extremely well. He was also extremely likable on Iron Chef, for those, like me, who enjoy him so much on that show. I assumed he'd bring that same likability and dramatic flair to his dacing on DWTS.
    But, for someone whom I've always really enjoyed before this show, I didn't really enjoy watching his dancing on the show. It just never engaged me at all. While I can't blame him for all the moves he had to do - it's the pro's choreography that he must follow - I do think he shares responsibility. Louie was probably one of the worst dancers ever on this show, yet he seemed to have a lot of appeal with his affable and engaging manner. Sadly, I didn't see that aspect in Mark during his time on DWTS. I saw it in his interviews and his comments on the show. They showed what a super nice guy he is. I just never saw that translated to the dance floor.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 11-05-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

I thought Mark was fantastic. I read what Gilles had to say about him and I decided to research him. I remember Gilles saying he would support Mark because he admired him and identified with him

When I did I was blown away by his artistry as a martial artist, and I knew that his work would translate well to the dance floor. Further this guy has substance, a sober and studied individual who wanted to be a monk at one time in his life. Then I find he is probably the most liked individual on any movie set, any television set, and is really without ego. All he ever wants to do is learn and drink in all that life has to offer. He sincerely lives his beliefs, and tries to be a good person every day of his life. There's not many people around like that. Especially in Hollywood. The Iron Chef guys love him, and he's treated like royalty in the best restaurants in the country. But you'd never know it. He's not the type who has to be boastful about himself. He just is.

I absolutely hated all the tv crap about people who are in rehab, people who are showmen, people who are already dancers. They give me nothing of substance. So one dimensional, needy and boring.

Mark's commitment to learning is what excited me. I could give a rattz arse about bratty hollywood types who cry every week because they have no personal sense of integrity or decorum. They haven't grown up, they throw tantrums because they can. Blah. The show could never ever get any bitchin or complainin' on Mark because he's just not that kind of guy. Ever.

I was given a masterclass this week from Mark in how to be when faced with adversity. He has the tools to take whatever is handed to him and do his best without questioning it, or even taking a "pass" because he had virtually no time to rehearse..He could have done that, he could have whined and complained but he didn't. That integrity is to be admired. Not the crap this show shovels.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3744252;
    In all fairness to Mark, he wasn't the first to be called in last minute and / or have to change partners, etc.
    Last season, Melissa was called in at the 11th hour. She also got shredded mercilessly on the boards last season.
    I thought when I first started watching this season, Mark would be a big contender. I assumed that based on his acting, his martial arts background and general fitness, he'd do extremely well. He was also extremely likable on Iron Chef, for those, like me, who enjoy him so much on that show. I assumed he'd bring that same likability and dramatic flair to his dacing on DWTS.
    But, for someone whom I've always really enjoyed before this show, I didn't really enjoy watching his dancing on the show. It just never engaged me at all. While I can't blame him for all the moves he had to do - it's the pro's choreography that he must follow - I do think he shares responsibility. Louie was probably one of the worst dancers ever on this show, yet he seemed to have a lot of appeal with his affable and engaging manner. Sadly, I didn't see that aspect in Mark during his time on DWTS. I saw it in his interviews and his comments on the show. They showed what a super nice guy he is. I just never saw that translated to the dance floor.
    Mark came across as a truly conscientious, diligent, hard-working, and kind person. Louie, on the other hand, was just so gosh darn cute. It is unfortunate that people often tend to gravitate more to the visual than than the intangible, but they do. Louie really doesn't even have to try, and people are going to like him in life. That is unfair, but that is life such as it is.

Although Mark may not have gone as far as could have been hope for, on the other hand, he does appear to be making great progress in his chosen field in life if we look at how busy he is in his daily life. This is just a blip on the timeline for him.

Louie was extremely cute and I enjoyed seeing him and Chelsey together, but I enjoyed watching Mark and Lacey dance together. Louie really only danced there at the end whereas Mark came out dancing from the beginning.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fanatic

Last edited by Andiemywestie; 11-07-2009 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3744608;
    Mark came across as a truly conscientious, diligent, hard-working, and kind person. Louie, on the other hand, was just so gosh darn cute. It is unfortunate that people often tend to gravitate more to the visual than than the intangible, but they do. Louie really doesn't even have to try, and people are going to like him in life. That is unfair, but that is life such as it is.

Although Mark may not have gone as far as could have been hope for, on the other hand, he does appear to be making great progress in his chosen field in life if we look at how busy he is in his daily life. This is just a blip on the timeline for him.

Louie was extremely cute and I enjoyed seeing him and Chelsey together, but I enjoyed watching Mark and Lacey dance together. Louie really only danced there at the end whereas Mark came out dancing from the beginning.
    I totally agree Bloomers. Louie Mark and Natalie were my early favorites. Mya is really the only other one I was rooting for, but I'm so over her too. Not enjoying this season at all. And please let girly boy LEAVE!!!!

FORT Fanatic

Mark is continuing his support of the victims of weather in the Philipines.. just at a fundraiser with Cheryl Burke's mom.
    Two weeks ago Mark was the guest host at the We Are One Event for the victims of Manilla floods, this charity was for the tsunami that hit the Philipines...

Per twitter:
    @shannong91 The charity dinner was for the victims of the Tsunami that hit the Philippines. Thousands of families without homes or food
    about 11 hours ago from Blackbird

Sat at table with Sherri Burke (Cheryl's mom), who invited us. 3 Filipino Chefs donated their skills, gave us a great meal for great cause.

Sat at the same table with Cheryl Burke's mom. She's really cool. S

Sorry for going awol. Been catching up with family. Tonight went to a charity dinner for the victims of the Tsunami that hit Philippines.

FORT Fanatic

The latest is Lacey and Anna choreographed some dance with Chuck and Mark in it for the finale. sounds like some horrible cheezy martial arts exploitation.

Mark was unavailable to rehearse last Friday. Alec stood in.

So the season is a total wash. It appears that Mark doesn't even get to re-dance the Jitterbug, a dance that was virtually overlooked for an encore when NO encore was given week 6, the only week in the contest for which no encore was give.

FORT Fanatic

Maks' latest blog, and he's still steamed about the judges, and what happend to Mark.

Dancing's Maks Hopes Judges Won't Have "Insanity Bug" This Week - Celebrity Blogs | TVGuide.com

Mark is a total class act. He got all my votes all season and I wish I could still be voting for him. I'm so happy he did DWTS because I've always loved him on ICA and appreciated the opportunity too get to "know" him better. I wish him the best. Never been a fan of martial arts movies, but I guess I'll become one when his movie comes out.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

+ Reply to Thread