+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Dacascos - Season 9

sdl

Re: Mark Dacascos - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3722003;

I love Gilles Marini's little twitter to Lacey
    I have 2 unrelated questions:

1. Did we know that Lacey and Gilles were such big buddies? I guess I've never heard that. She wasn't his partner. If it's just general comraderie, then there are a ton of couples still left but he said he was "so pulling for them to win."

2. Can someone please explain to me what Mark does for a living? I know he's on this show called Iron Chef which somehow combines martial arts with cooking?!? But he's really an actor, right? So does he just pretend to cook while doing martial arts in a kitchen? Did they hire an actor to, what, beat up people who don't cook well? I even read up on wiki and still don't get the premise of the show.
    Can the dude cook or not?
    Who does he whack on the show, the food or the people?
    Is he really acting or does bad cooking send him into a rage?
    I'm so lost.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3722554;

1. Did we know that Lacey and Gilles were such big buddies? I guess I've never heard that. She wasn't his partner. If it's just general comraderie, then there are a ton of couples still left but he said he was "so pulling for them to win."

2. Can someone please explain to me what Mark does for a living? I know he's on this show called Iron Chef which somehow combines martial arts with cooking?!? But he's really an actor, right? So does he just pretend to cook while doing martial arts in a kitchen? Did they hire an actor to, what, beat up people who don't cook well? I even read up on wiki and still don't get the premise of the show.
    I'm so lost.
    Gilles became very good friends with Lacey last season. Gilles and Steve-O really gelled. Lacey and Cheryl are also very close.

He's really an actor, he doesn't cook on the show...he likes to cook, but he's not a chef. He doesn't beat anyone up. The show is based on the Japanese Iron Chef premise of competition,the over the top style is more cartoon than anything.

I'm so lost.
    Iron Chef does not combine martial arts and cooking. I'd say the martial arts has very little to do with the competition other than the couple of things the Chairman does in the beginning (Chairman being what they call Mark).

It is a spin off of the original Japanese version and it's sort of awesome. They are given a secret ingredient (supposedly chosen by the Chairman) for each competition and then the chefs (an Iron Chef and a challenger) battle to make around 5 dishes that use that secret ingredient and then are judged. It's all about bragging rights and you see some really great cooking and awesome technique from all the chefs. The secret ingredient has ranged from octopus to maple syrup to olive oil to coconut. Just about anything is game.

I absolutely love Mark on this show, he's such a character.

FORT Fanatic

Mark and Lacey are doing a whirwind of interviews and personal appearances today and tomorrow in NYC, seems like they are having a lot of fun.

Mark is very cognizant of how he's doing though with this tweet: A fan asked when he's dancing
    I think we're around 8. We need to bring it on Monday.about 3 hours ago from Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3722011;
    Yes. He's Philipino but he's multi-racial, Chinese, Japanese, Irish..
    He does look Chinese, Japanese, Philipino and many Philipinos have Spanish and Chinese blood.

FORT Fanatic

I'm so lost.
    ETA: Mark is an extrordinary Martial Arts expert. His work in his films are astounding. Example: The Butterfly Twist, a lot of movies have the strings attached to the actors so the move is performed properly...Mark is the real deal and has no assistance in that way.

Also, Gilles has been quoted in a couple of reports that he was pulling for Mark.

FORT Fanatic

Both Mark and Lacey have been tweeting their excitement today in New York City... they are putting in rehearsal time but they must be exhausted.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3722809;
    ETA: Mark is an extrordinary Martial Arts expert. His work in his films are astounding. Example: The Butterfly Twist, a lot of movies have the strings attached to the actors so the move is performed properly...Mark is the real deal and has no assistance in that way.

Also, Gilles has been quoted in a couple of reports that he was pulling for Mark.
    Gilles is very much into the martial arts so perhaps he has a connection to Mark in that way.
    I wish Gilles could give Mark some dancing pointers be cause the talent is there, but he hasn't been able to let it flow.

FORT Fanatic

No doubt Gilles is very familiar with Mark's work as a Martial Artist. One of his best films, Brotherhood of the Wolf is a French Film and grossed very well overseas. Gilles also mentioned before the season started that Mark can "do wonder" so he knows his athletic capability.

Mark's work in Martial Arts is all about containing power and channelling it into an explosion in his fight choreography. All of that energy has to be re-learned for a sustained fluid motion, and I do think he is getting better at that with every outing. His lines are a thing of beauty, and I view these inital disappointments as a learning process or him. I find his struggle to be an exciting journey that will be so rewarding for him when everything gells.

I also remember how Emmit Smith struggled through the early rounds, and Mark imho has so much more potential as a dancer.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I'm so lost.
    That post really made my night. I had wondered what Mark did to and just assumed he was an actor/TV chef/martial artist on the side. That show sounds fairly interesting now that its been described. So I'm going to assume if Mark had to define his career it'd mainly be as an actor?

Were Gilles and Mark friends prior to him being on DWTS or is his reason for rooting for them solely because of Lacey? I miss Gilles, I wish he'd make a few cameos. Anyway, much like Len potentially low scoring Mya because he feels she has a different potential to live up to, I wonder if Mark's scores reflect them seeing his potential but it not coming out in full force yet. So in a way it's like saying 'get with the program, you're better than what you've shown'. I would love to see a freestyle from him, I just wish it wasn't with Lacey. I heard allegedly the dances for week 5 are the paso doble and the Argentine Tango, so I would love to be able to see him perform either one of those.

+ Reply to Thread