+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

FORT Regular

Re: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3740459;
    TV guide focussed on the controversial Mambo bob, and seeing it on this video is disturbing.

Top Moments: The Drapers Spar, Racers Cry, Dancers Get Dirty and More! - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com
    It was also one of TV Guide's Top 3 "Moments of the Week" video, different from the above article.
    TV Guide Video | TVGuide.com

It's one of the classic mambo moves. In some variations the male kicks his head over the female's head - as Apolo did to Julianne at 50-53 seconds here: YouTube - Dancing with the Stars - Apolo and Julianne (Mambo)

Russian pro Kristina Rihanoff and her then-husband Brian Jolly did a variation of the move in the finals in Thailand, at 47-49 seconds: YouTube - Kristina Rihanoff & Brian Jolly Mambo

Here is Dutch pro Louis Van Amstel performing the move with Monique Coleman, at 1:02-08, prefaced by a move that is just as sexual, i.e., the female walking over the male's head. YouTube - DWTS: Monique and Louis: Week 2 Mambo

More examples:

YouTube - Dancing with the stars - Team Mambo - Shawn Johnson and Chuck Wicks
    2:24-28

YouTube - Willa Ford and Maksim Chmerkovskiy dance the Mambo
    1:28-1:36

YouTube - Brooke & Derek week 8 part 2
    1:11-13

Maks and MelB:
    YouTube - Mel B and Maks (Cha-cha, Samba, Mambo)
    3:48-3:52

Lacey modified version: YouTube - Lance & Lacey Mambo (DWTS S7 Week 9)
    36-41

Laila Ali's private parts come close to Maks' mouth here:
    YouTube - Laila Ali & Maks - Mambo (Full Clip)
    3:04-08

Obviously the mambo is supposed to be a sexy dance, which is undoubtedly why the producers chose it as the marathon dance.

One thing for sure: I'll bet Conrad Green is absolutely thrilled by the publicity. The show already got a million extra viewers after the Lambada (attributable to other factors) and must be giddy that this takes it up a notch.

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3741014;
    It was also one of TV Guide's Top 3 "Moments of the Week" video, different from the above article.
    TV Guide Video | TVGuide.com

It's one of the classic mambo moves. In some variations the male kicks his head over the female's head - as Apolo did to Julianne at 50-53 seconds here: YouTube - Dancing with the Stars - Apolo and Julianne (Mambo)

Russian pro Kristina Rihanoff and her then-husband Brian Jolly did a variation of the move in the finals in Thailand, at 47-49 seconds: YouTube - Kristina Rihanoff & Brian Jolly Mambo

Here is Dutch pro Louis Van Amstel performing the move with Monique Coleman, at 1:02-08, prefaced by a move that is just as sexual, i.e., the female walking over the male's head. YouTube - DWTS: Monique and Louis: Week 2 Mambo

More examples:

YouTube - Dancing with the stars - Team Mambo - Shawn Johnson and Chuck Wicks
    2:24-28

YouTube - Willa Ford and Maksim Chmerkovskiy dance the Mambo
    1:28-1:36

YouTube - Brooke & Derek week 8 part 2
    1:11-13

Maks and MelB:
    YouTube - Mel B and Maks (Cha-cha, Samba, Mambo)
    3:48-3:52

Lacey modified version: YouTube - Lance & Lacey Mambo (DWTS S7 Week 9)
    36-41

Laila Ali's private parts come close to Maks' mouth here:
    YouTube - Laila Ali & Maks - Mambo (Full Clip)
    3:04-08

Obviously the mambo is supposed to be a sexy dance, which is undoubtedly why the producers chose it as the marathon dance.

One thing for sure: I'll bet Conrad Green is absolutely thrilled by the publicity. The show already got a million extra viewers after the Lambada (attributable to other factors) and must be giddy that this takes it up a notch.
    Thank you for posting.

I am humbled by your research skills.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3741014;

Well, they need something going for them this season. What better than a shot of Derek forcing Joanna's face in between his legs? I've seen that move in other mambos, including Apolo/Julianne's and also in Paulina/Alec's from season 4. Alec said it was something like the death drop (Paulina didn't like it-she was afraid he'd drop her). But I don't remember it looking quite like Derek's. But hey, it's Derek. He probably knew he needed to do something to win. It's a moment that was really, really funny, but one I wish I hadn't seen.

FORT Fanatic

Dancing sexy is one thing. Doing something that looks more like Fellacio than a Mambo move was uncool. Especially the push of her head into the crotch and his facial expression. Not cool. To get a headline for sleeze instead of dance, a missed opportunity.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3741090;
    Well, they need something going for them this season. What better than a shot of Derek forcing Joanna's face in between his legs? I've seen that move in other mambos, including Apolo/Julianne's and also in Paulina/Alec's from season 4. Alec said it was something like the death drop (Paulina didn't like it-she was afraid he'd drop her). But I don't remember it looking quite like Derek's. But hey, it's Derek. He probably knew he needed to do something to win. It's a moment that was really, really funny, but one I wish I hadn't seen.
    Derek told TV Guide that he didn't mean it to look sexual - Dancing's Derek Hough: I Didn't Mean for Mambo Move to Look So Sexual

The final time they did the move in the marathon, her head was on the outer side of his leg and not at all close to his crotch. I don't know about the first time they did it, which was early in the dance, before Michael and Anna were eliminated, because the camera just showed the beginning of the move, but we all know what it looked like at 2:11 or so. Poor Joanna said her thighs were killing her, but I have to hand it to her for being so game. She said she thought it looked goofy, not sexy. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3741101;
    Derek told TV Guide that he didn't mean it to look sexual - Dancing's Derek Hough: I Didn't Mean for Mambo Move to Look So Sexual

The final time they did the move in the marathon, her head was on the outer side of his leg and not at all close to his crotch. I don't know about the first time they did it, which was early in the dance, before Michael and Anna were eliminated, because the camera just showed the beginning of the move, but we all know what it looked like at 2:11 or so. Poor Joanna said her thighs were killing her, but I have to hand it to her for being so game. She said she thought it looked goofy, not sexy. I agree.
    Derek isn't helping, from your link:
    TVGuide.com: We have to first talk about the mambo marathon and that head-bobbing move you guys did.
    Derek Hough: [Laughs] Everybody's like, "What the heck is that? It's so sexual!" Well, I didn't mean for it to look that way! There's a move in the mambo where she hinges back and you go down, flip your leg over and bring her back up. But as I was looking around, I was like, "Oh, we can't just do our routine. We've got to do something different, something that kind of eggs the audience on a little bit." So I did that move and just kind of kept her down there and she kept trying to come back up and I was like, "Nope!" It was pretty funny. She did an amazing job.

Back when I watched it again, it looked like Joanna's arm movements were very feeble and slow. Now that I've read the above, it was like a bug on its back, trying to right itself.

This reminds me of a past season where one of the pros had their partner perform an unrehearsed move, which sounds unnecessarily risky (and unfair to the partner). I don't remember who it was, though.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3741101;

That is an insult to my intelligence.

Derek is an adult - a young adult, but certainly not a child. He knew the step, and he knew the implication. He simply got called out on it.

Rather than to try to hide it, he would have been better off simply remarking that the mambo is a sexy Latin dance, and that is one of its more colorful moves. ( Note: Since the show is on primetime, and the step received this kind of attention, perhaps the step should not be used.)
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3741154;
    Derek isn't helping, from your link:

Back when I watched it again, it looked like Joanna's arm movements were very feeble and slow. Now that I've read the above, it was like a bug on its back, trying to right itself.

This reminds me of a past season where one of the pros had their partner perform an unrehearsed move, which sounds unnecessarily risky (and unfair to the partner). I don't remember who it was, though.
    Derek seems spontaneous this season. First he went shirtless for his Lambada (unplanned) now this. Sadly it hasn't backfired on him, but hopefully it will if he keeps it up. It's really not fair to Joanna. I remember during season 5, when Maks/Mel did their second cha cha, at the beginning Mel ran over and sat on her husband's lap. Maks look confused, and I couldn't tell if that was planned or not but looking back, I'm going to say it wasn't. I think that's a bigger risk and not fair to the other person.

FORT Fanatic

I saw a story yesterday about a movie Joanna did a few years back. It was a foot fetish movie. Doesn't say much for her acting skills, lol.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by dancingfan;3743326;
    I saw a story yesterday about a movie Joanna did a few years back. It was a foot fetish movie. Doesn't say much for her acting skills, lol.
    So what. She was fully clothed, as a nurse, and wasn't the ticklee, who was also fully clothed. Big deal. At least she wasn't filmed nude, depicted being raped and murdered by a snowman, as was another DWTS contestant.

You don't like her; I get that. However, I do like her and admire her attitude and work ethic.

+ Reply to Thread