+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Re: 5/18 Show Discussion **spoilers**

My own dance adjudicator's scorecard from Monday night.

Choreography

Shawn/Mark 1
    Melissa/Tony 2
    Gilles/Cheryl 3

Dance Precision

Gilles/Cheryl 1
    Shawn/Mark 2
    Melissa/Tony 3

Degree of Difficulty

Melissa/Tony 1
    Gilles/Cheryl 2
    Shawn/Mark 3

Total Point Score

Shawn/Mark 6
    Melissa/Tony 6
    Gilles/Cheryl 6

(No, I was not happy with myself when I totaled my results)

I found both laudable and disappointing aspects in each of the performances.

- Marks' freestyle choreography was spot on for me. I thought it fit her perfectly and really brought out the best in both of them. I can't, however, get past the fact that Shawn doesn't possess a dancer's body. There were static moments in the freestyle were my reaction to her was "fireplug." Yes, that is a cruel observation, but if you take away her winning personality and smile, all we have is a very short linebacker with almost no female form traditionally associated with ballroom dance. I didn't take away points from Shaw/Mark for her body, that wouldn't be fair. It was certainly a distraction for me equal to the lack of flow and balance in Tony's choreography.

- Melissa finally found the depth of expression that had not been present for most of the season. The degree of difficulty in their freestyle was off the charts, but reminded me of a half-time dance routine rather than something appropriate to the setting. Their Passo was the best of the night for me.

- Gilles, from the shoulders up, carries the dance, creating an excitement level that is in a league of its own, but Cheryl's choreography was completely underwhelming for me. If this was the most difficult freestyle Gilles could do, then I'm impressed that he has carried off little talent so well for so long.

I did make a decision to vote for one of the three based on the intangible factor as a tie breaker, unfortunately, I could not get through once despite nearly continuous dialing.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3456546;
    I did make a decision to vote for one of the three based on the intangible factor as a tie breaker, unfortunately, I could not get through once despite nearly continuou dialing.
    Was that Gilles? I bet he is getting the Lil'Kim treatment. Her phone lines were engaged continuously and when you voted for her even online. The response was always "thank you for voting for Melissa" even though they had dialed for LK. I guess they want a Shawn Melissa finale. This way Gilles will genuinely not have enough votes, because people cannot vote for him. This is a trick used often in England, because here, the governing authority can demand to know the number of votes from the records. so they do this to prevent the vote from being registered. Alot of people complained they were unable to vote for Lil'Kim too.

I noticed in the red room. When anyone else was speaking, they covered Gilles, if you could see him in the background, the camera moved to cover him. The opposite was for Melissa. Whenever she was covered, the camera moved to show her in the background. I feel tptb still want Melissa.
    Last edited by Living; 05-19-2009 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win;3456246;
    I couldn't believe the judges praising them for being in sinq with each other, she was behind him on so many steps/tricks.

Tony should have choreographed a contemporary routine ... Melissa would have been able to do the contemporary lifts and shown the grace Len was looking for.

Cheryl should have choreographed a dance with Gilles in it. (his body was behind hers so much, couldn't even see him)
    Count me among the underwhelmed, but I did enjoy Shawn's freestyle the most - a good combo of dance and tricks.

It was ludicrous that the judges had been telling Mel to get rid of the ballet all season, then for Len to say last night he would've wanted to see it.

Gilles has proven that all he has to do is show up and get a good score.

I was surprised by the blatant turn of events to Shawn/Gilles F2 - with the arrival of Anton and the doc to secure the sympathy vote.

Maybe Shawn is going to win this?

Quote Originally Posted by finalefan;3456350;
    Yeah and the hot pink didn't help matters at all! Not the biggest Gilles fan here, but Cheryl really let him down with her song choice and choreography. Very disappointing. And personally I think it speaks to Cheryl's ego, which I've always found a bit suspect.
    Anyone notice that when Mel and Tony switched places with Cheryl and Gilles that Cheryl actually pushed Mel away from her hug/kiss??? I've been very open minded about Cheryl even though she has a very uppity air about herself, but that really annoyed me.
    Last edited by anders332; 05-19-2009 at 08:29 AM.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

In the rehearsals the stars and pros look sooo much better without the spray tan. Especially Tony and Melissa, their teeth don't look so blindingly white and they look more natural. Tony looks a lot younger without the spray.

You can get on the ABC site and vote without any problems this morning.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3456582;
    Anyone notice that when Mel and Tony switched places with Cheryl and Gilles that Cheryl actually pushed Mel away from her hug/kiss??? I've been very open minded about Cheryl even though she has a very uppity air about herself, but that really annoyed me.
    Maybe you missed Tony and Melissa snobbing both Gilles and Cheryl in front of the judges. That was so obvious and commented upon on the board. There must be a reason for this if they did it together, or the competition has gotten to them. Also, when CA was speaking, both Gilles and Cheryl turned to Tony and Melissa as if to see if they will smile back, or not. (Like did I mistake the snob or did they really snob me on national TV). Confirmed to be a snob, as we see Tony turn away. When Melissa tried to be be nice, knowing the camera was on them, Cheryl did not want any part of that pretense.

FORT Regular

Well, I'm not sure that I buy any of the conspiracy theories, but it does occur to me that TPTB probably don't want Melissa to make the finals.

That's because all the other celebs came on the show knowing exactly who the competition was -- and then all of a sudden, they get two new competitors at the last minute. If I were a celeb, I might be concerned if the show brought on a really strong candidate at the last minute -- after I was committed. Since Holly went out early, she didn't create an issue -- and my sense is Jewel probably wouldn't have lasted long, either. Now I have no idea how Nancy O'Dell would have done, but my guess is Melissa is a much more formidable competitor.

The celebs do come on this show to get exposure and they might be less willing in the future to do it if they thought they could be faced with a "ringer." (now, I've never thought Melissa WAS a ringer, but I could see why the other celebs might think so).

Without Melissa in it, I woulda predicted Shawn-Gilles from week 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Living;3456623;
    Maybe you missed Tony and Melissa snobbing both Gilles and Cheryl in front of the judges. That was so obvious and commented upon on the board. There must be a reason for this if they did it together, or the competition has gotten to them. Also, when CA was speaking, both Gilles and Cheryl turned to Tony and Melissa as if to see if they will smile back, or not. (Like did I mistake the snob or did they really snob me on national TV). Confirmed to be a snob, as we see Tony turn away. When Melissa tried to be be nice, knowing the camera was on them, Cheryl did not want any part of that pretense.
    I did read that after I posted, I did miss it and will watch for that tonight. Seems like a huge turn around from the camraderie of last week, and the touching hand Gilles gave Melissa in the scoring room.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

Melissa's Paso was absolutely horrible. Tony had to lift her back into her spot twice, and she was completely shaky and she was doing super goofy expressions. The fact they scored her higher than Shawn in that is a super big joke. I feel badly for Tony. I think he is just not a choreographer, and he tries to give the fans and the judges what they want, but I think he is just never going to stand out. I almost want to give him the win because I adore him, but Melissa was horrible last night worst of the night for me.

Giles Paso was beautiful. The guy has the lines of a dancer, and he was great. We cannot all like all the styles the professionals choose for the freestyle so I base how I like it on how well I think the star/fake star do. I thought that Cheryl's choice was odd, but Giles did all the moves that she choreographed him to do. Melissa was behind, slow, and off beat several times in the freestyle. Shawn's was hard for me to decide because Mark moves so dang fast that my eyes cannot stay focused. It did not overwhelm me so I think that going by the Paso which I could see for all Giles was the clear winner of the night since all their freestyles had issues.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by birddog09;3456626;
    Well, I'm not sure that I buy any of the conspiracy theories, but it does occur to me that TPTB probably don't want Melissa to make the finals.

That's because all the other celebs came on the show knowing exactly who the competition was -- and then all of a sudden, they get two new competitors at the last minute. If I were a celeb, I might be concerned if the show brought on a really strong candidate at the last minute -- after I was committed. Since Holly went out early, she didn't create an issue -- and my sense is Jewel probably wouldn't have lasted long, either. Now I have no idea how Nancy O'Dell would have done, but my guess is Melissa is a much more formidable competitor.

The celebs do come on this show to get exposure and they might be less willing in the future to do it if they thought they could be faced with a "ringer." (now, I've never thought Melissa WAS a ringer, but I could see why the other celebs might think so).

Without Melissa in it, I woulda predicted Shawn-Gilles from week 1.

Based on her dancing last night, Melissa should not make the finals. Her Paso was overscored by a lot, and her freestyle was so off. I do not know if I buy into ringers and conspiracies but I do know that unless I was an F list celebrity I would not go on this show unless I knew I had dance background. Otherwise you are thrown to the wolves and made fun of at every turn. They act like these people want to be dancers, and score them like it was their next career or something. The fun of the show is being taken away for me because now all the seasons are we have our winner picked, and the rest is fair game to poke fun at, and hopefully one other star will be good enough to stand next to the one with dance background in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice'n'Easy;3456146;
    No matter who our favorites are, we have pretty much come together in our disappointment of tonight's overall performances and the judging. I think we should be commended.
    I noticed this too! I haven't seen much snark this time. I think we all actually agree on something.

+ Reply to Thread