+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: ABC's Pick A Pro for Next Season

FORT Fogey

Re: ABC's Pick A Pro for Next Season

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3430410;
    Unless she's a plant or making it up, Lisa Rinna will be one of the returning celebs to dance with a pro next week.
    And it seems she's paired with Mayo because she has quickstep. And I doubt Genya would have QS 2 weeks in a row. So that means Mayo made the final 3.

6'2" & over for men and 5'8" and over for women encompasses only 5% of the population.

Who is John Galt?

I just don't think Mayo would be a good fit. It is not that he is too tall (altho 6'3" is taller than most male pros), but it is his build that is off-putting. He is so very thin and lanky that he just doesn't look good doing Latin. Unless his partner was equally tall and lanky like Anna, he would look like a toothpick dancing a small girl, or be overwhelmed by a taller more beefy type (like Ali's daughter - forgot her first name). Anna is also a little too tall, but the really tall guys that are well over 6' would fit with her. That leaves Afton or Genya. However, we do have a variety of new female pros, but only one new male pro - Dimitry. By process of elimination, I'd like to see Genya get it. Yeah, he's a little cocky, but very cute.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by justsaying;3434131;
    6'2" & over for men and 5'8" and over for women encompasses only 5% of the population.
    However, every season there are stars that fit this criteria. LT would probably been a better height match with Anna than he was with Edyta.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by aname2;3434142;
    I just don't think Mayo would be a good fit. It is not that he is too tall (altho 6'3" is taller than most male pros), but it is his build that is off-putting. He is so very thin and lanky that he just doesn't look good doing Latin. Unless his partner was equally tall and lanky like Anna, he would look like a toothpick dancing a small girl, or be overwhelmed by a taller more beefy type (like Ali's daughter - forgot her first name). Anna is also a little too tall, but the really tall guys that are well over 6' would fit with her. That leaves Afton or Genya. However, we do have a variety of new female pros, but only one new male pro - Dimitry. By process of elimination, I'd like to see Genya get it. Yeah, he's a little cocky, but very cute.
    That was Laila. Mel B is another good example. I don't mind Genya's cockiness, even if I don't see it, because nearly every male pro started out on this show with egos bigger than the mirror ball trophy and they've all eaten some humble pie since then. He might just be confident he'll have an in either way. I've heard for several seasons (all rumor) they were going to add him as a pro, he's danced on the results show and tour before. So he might be joining the cast whether he wins or not.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3433853;
    I think it would be a mistake to cast either Anna or Mayo. They are too tall and will only be used on the off chance they get a tall celeb. Since they often draw from the sports fields, I can see it being easier for them to get a tall male but a female who wouldn't look ridiculous with Mayo? Much harder to do.

I'd rather see them end up with Afton since she's easier to pair off.

Plus something about Anna and Mayo's personalities just rubs me the wrong way. They seem sort of frozen and aloof.

Was it Genya who said he hasn't danced in a while? And yet he's expected to take somebody who has never danced and teach them? Oh yeah, that will go over well.
    Mayo is a Finn by birth. Being married to one, they are all on the quiet, direct side which, even to me in the beginning, comes across as aloof compared to American openness. But, that's what happens when you are from the Frozen North. It's more a cultural thing than a personality thing (meaning it's not meant to be negative, it just is the way the people are).

As for his being tall, as I said I really don't think it's as big a deal. Put a 5/6" woman in heels and the differential isn't that great. Besides, both Mark and Derrick, both of whom aren't particularly tall, still have talked about how many accomodations they have had to make for the two shrimps they dance wtih: Kim and Shawn, both of whom barely cross teh 5 foot mark. Why's that OK, but a tall man with an ordinary height woman is suddenly an issue?

I really like his lines and his classicism. I also thought his jive was powerful and as crisp and fast as I've ever seen the footwork.

As much as I say it, I will again: It's about, or should be, the dancing.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by InCBMP;3434055;
    This is my first post here. I competed for several years in both ballroom and latin and am scratching my head a bit about the comments that Anna and Mayo would be too tall to be cast members. According to their bio info they are 5'11" and 6'3" respectively. They're tall but its not like they are over 7'. Anna could easily partner with a man 6'2" or taller and Mayo with women over 5'8". This is not a hard demographic to meet. In many ways it would give the show a bit more flexibility for casting taller stars. Maks and Tony were a bit borderline for matching the heights of some of their taller 'stars'.

Thanks for the "insider' insight, and as a 5'10" woman who loves to dance and has trained in dance, height is not or should not be an obstacle at the heights we're talking about.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I am so disappointed Genya was out I do hope he still gets added. I wonder why they announced it on camera he wasn't advancing on when they didn't with the other two. I liked Cody last season but I haven't missed him and something about him being back-eh. I hope Anna or Afton win the spot instead of Mayo. It finally dawned on me who he reminds me of, and I guess it all goes back to the creepy smile-that one pro dancer from a few seasons back, Brian, who just had a creepy grin and kind of lanky, awkward body. I hear he's on Strictly Come Dancing and apparently is very popular on that side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by kultainen;3434369;
    Thanks for the "insider' insight, and as a 5'10" woman who loves to dance and has trained in dance, height is not or should not be an obstacle at the heights we're talking about.
    Not to mention that many celebs are long & lean...this could even open up a whole demographic (get former supermodels and such). I would die laughing if Janice Dickinson ever appeared on this show! Can you imagine the lip she would give to CA?

But really, they could approach lots of supermodels like Heidi Klum or even the modeling reality show contestants that have found some success in the real world....

I really like Mayo and Anna--I think they are both beautiful dancers! I even reviewed my tape because another poster mentioned that they found Anna 'snobbish' (and I can't stand SNOBS)...fortunately, I didn't see any indication of vanity myself so I can still vote for her! I think the show would really benefit from having either one of these dancers, particularly Mayo who seems to be ridiculously good (guys just dont make lines like that--its silly!).

Also, it seems like the other girl is relying on her family connection for the win, and I hate it when contestants say something like--"she had her turn, now its mine" (really?..are you sure its your turn just because your sister did it (feel entitled much?)...it might be anna's turn...) I think those statements are so presumptuous and tacky.

While watching Mayo and Lisa do the Quickstep on Tuesday's Results Show, I was reminded of how dogs look when they enter the arena at the Westminster or AKC Dog Shows (or even on Best in Show).

That vein on his forehead also has a Vulcan-like look to it.

+ Reply to Thread