+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next week dances 3/30/09

Re: Next week dances 3/30/09

Quote Originally Posted by illusions;3392218;
    Thanks for the list. I just checked the net for some vids on the Lindy Hop and watched some fast paced dancing. Everyone who does this dance better have on flat shoes if they are going to be doing any flips. Then again maybe SteveO better not make the attempt! Looks like they will need some breathing lessons for endurance because I can see some huffing and puffing coming.
    I was thinking about the same thing. The only clip that didn't show the women in flat(ter) shoes doing this dance were the professional dancers on a DWTS Recap Show. Seems like you could seriously impale your partner if you slipped up during this dance, not to mention get serious shin splints doing aerobics in stilettos.

It also did not appear as if anyone being flipped in the video clips I watched was wearing a microphone pack on their back, either, which led me to wonder WHY on DWTS they wear mic packs, even in a dress rehearsal.

First season watching, so I'm curious about how the dances are selected and how far in advance they are selected.
    • How far in advance are the dances chosen?
    • Are the professionals assigned the different dances by week, before the season even begins or is the dance assigned based on who the star is?
    • What other criteria are in place for the type of dances that are featured each week?

I'm assuming - perhaps incorrectly - it is selected in advance, before the ability of the "stars" are known or presumed and that it may be based on the pro vs. the star since they know who the pro lineup is before the stars are selected.

What prompted my ponderings was a post on the Steve-O thread about how this dance may not be a good choice for him, based upon his injuries. I didn't think that dance style changes/accommodations would be made for injuries or for any reason, really.

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;3395937;
    First season watching, so I'm curious about how the dances are selected and how far in advance they are selected.
    • How far in advance are the dances chosen?
    • Are the professionals assigned the different dances by week, before the season even begins or is the dance assigned based on who the star is?
    • What other criteria are in place for the type of dances that are featured each week?

I'm assuming - perhaps incorrectly - it is selected in advance, before the ability of the "stars" are known or presumed and that it may be based on the pro vs. the star since they know who the pro lineup is before the stars are selected.

What prompted my ponderings was a post on the Steve-O thread about how this dance may not be a good choice for him, based upon his injuries. I didn't think that dance style changes/accommodations would be made for injuries or for any reason, really.
    I believe that for the first several weeks, two dances are chosen per week, usually one standard and one latin (although there are more latin than standard, so one week is 2 latin), and the celebs are pretty much split in half and each group gets the same dances, alternating standard and latin. They probably decide the order of the dances before the season starts, and then decide how to split the groups based on the celebs chosen and how they are doing. IOW, they don't want all the good dancers doing the same dance each week and more importantly, the bad dancers butchering the same dance each week. As dancers get eliminated, they may switch up people from one group to another to try to keep an even number doing each dance. Eventually, all the dances will have been done by somebody, and then the remaining teams will be assigned a dance or 2 dances that they missed from earlier weeks, so that the celebs that stay long enough will have the opportunity to learn every dance. (Hope this came out less confusing than it seemed in my head as I was typing it.)

They don't make a habit of changing celeb's dances due to injury, but IIRC, in Season 5 they did accomodate Jane Seymour by giving her the slower dance than the intended jive (she switched with Sabrina) after she suffered a bout of food poisoning.

I'm hoping some of you with more DWTS experience can answers these questions for me. Since this is my first season watching DWTS, I'm not sure of the judging styles - what each in particular looks for (other than CA with the illegal lifts, lol).

I just watched a few videos on you tube of the Lindy Hop and the Argentine Tango. They're all quite different. For instance, in the Lindy Hop some couples concentrate more on the intricate footwork and others on the gymnastic factor. In the Argentine Tango some focus on the tiny footsteps and others on the larger, open and intertwined footwork.

This made me wonder if any of you "long-timers" know what the judges will be looking for. If you do, I'd sure appreciate a post as it will help me try to guess their scores when I'm watching the dances. Thanks so much!
    Every time MF grins, somewhere in the world a unicorn dies.
    I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Quote Originally Posted by I'msotired;3397019;
    I'm hoping some of you with more DWTS experience can answers these questions for me. Since this is my first season watching DWTS, I'm not sure of the judging styles - what each in particular looks for (other than CA with the illegal lifts, lol).

I just watched a few videos on you tube of the Lindy Hop and the Argentine Tango. They're all quite different. For instance, in the Lindy Hop some couples concentrate more on the intricate footwork and others on the gymnastic factor. In the Argentine Tango some focus on the tiny footsteps and others on the larger, open and intertwined footwork.

This made me wonder if any of you "long-timers" know what the judges will be looking for. If you do, I'd sure appreciate a post as it will help me try to guess their scores when I'm watching the dances. Thanks so much!
    Your post made me laugh, because many long time viewers would say that even the judges don't know what they are looking for! But from what I recall, Len tends to look for proper technique and completing the traditional elements of the dance, Bruno goes more for the flavor of the dance combined with entertainment and emotion/excitement, and Carrie Ann, when she's not on lift patrol, is sort of a cross between the two. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3397026;
    Your post made me laugh, because many long time viewers would say that even the judges don't know what they are looking for! But from what I recall, Len tends to look for proper technique and completing the traditional elements of the dance, Bruno goes more for the flavor of the dance combined with entertainment and emotion/excitement, and Carrie Ann, when she's not on lift patrol, is sort of a cross between the two. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the answer, ironcat. The bolded part cracked me up because I haven't been able to get a read from them. Sounds, then, like Bruno will like the gymnastics of the LH but Len won't.
    Every time MF grins, somewhere in the world a unicorn dies.
    I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12