+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 115 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3419838;
    I'm worried about Gilles as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a re-injury in practice this week.
    Well, the good news is if he so much as stubs his toe, we'll be sure to hear about it being the most debilitating painful injury ever suffered on the show and that only supreme courage and fortitude and love for the people allow him to work through the agony.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Ok, this is something that I don't often tell people, but I was a high school cheerleader, which mostly consisted of throwing cute girls around. I was also a state champion rodeo cowboy, which blessed me with a bad shoulder that is still a problem today. Weird mix, right?
    Anyway, the shoulder was always a problem with the overhead lifts. Luckily, I outweighed by partner by 2 to 1.
    Gilles is cut, but he has a narrow, slender build. Cheryl is thick and curvy, dense on her frame.
    I would guess Gilles' weight at 165. Cheryl is about 120. That's a pretty good load for someone his size who isn't used to doing lifts, and the shoulder makes it a real problem.
    The good news is that Cheryl is a pro. By kicking off with her legs, she can make the actual lift a whole lot easier - not like lifting dead weight - but he will still have to hold her in position.
    Very impressive SDL, I have a whole new image of you and your expertise to judge the dancing, especially with lifts and the ability to recognize the moves of some the celebrity dancers -- both the cheerleader and cowboy! Thanks for sharing.

You make a good point about Cheryl's ability to kick off and aid Gilles with the lift and I hope you are right. Now that you mention their probable weight, that gives me cause for concern though. However, Cheryl appears a lot heavier than she really is and Gilles has upper body strength as evidenced by his six-pack abs so they should be able to work out a good routine.

FORT Fogey

Ok, this is something that I don't often tell people, but I was a high school cheerleader, which mostly consisted of throwing cute girls around. I was also a state champion rodeo cowboy, which blessed me with a bad shoulder that is still a problem today. Weird mix, right?
    Anyway, the shoulder was always a problem with the overhead lifts. Luckily, I outweighed by partner by 2 to 1.
    Gilles is cut, but he has a narrow, slender build. Cheryl is thick and curvy, dense on her frame.
    I would guess Gilles' weight at 165. Cheryl is about 120. That's a pretty good load for someone his size who isn't used to doing lifts, and the shoulder makes it a real problem.
    The good news is that Cheryl is a pro. By kicking off with her legs, she can make the actual lift a whole lot easier - not like lifting dead weight - but he will still have to hold her in position.

Gilles is a very sexy ACTOR. He also hypes quite well. I hesitate here, but the jury may still be out on whether that is going to help or hurt in the long run. I think that all of the tremendous publicity is so new and overwhelming that sometimes he may not quite know how to handle it in the best possible way ( ex. - He might consider posing nude again for charity - My first reaction was that he thought that sounded like something the public would like to hear).
    There is still debate over that shoulder and the true extent of the injury. There has been one poster on here who said she carried on reasonably well through a really bad injury, but everyone else said that any kind of shoulder injury was agony, and they didn't see how he was able to continue on in the manner he was.
    The story changes on the cortison shots, the effects of the medicine, and the aspirin ( or other over the counter meds he said he was taking for pain).

How really bad is this injury? Is this being hyped for the publicity, or does he truly have a separated shoulder and is somehow dancing and doing all of these things that everyone on this board who has had a shoulder injury said they couldn't do?

What is the true story, or will we ever know?

BTW, the Lindy Hop the way we have seen it done where the guy picks up the girl and throws her to Kingdom Come and back should be difficult with a shoulder injury in my not so humble opinion.

Thanks for sharing sdl! So you actually started having shoulder problems with the overhead lifts? Did you ever separate it like Gilles supposedly did that will require surgery? I'm just wondering how Gilles can support the weight of the lift even if Cheryl DOES kick off? This will be interesting to see how Cheryl choreographs the Lindy Hop to keep him from further aggravating his shoulder. They have to keep up with Melissa on this one!
    I'm only here for the entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3419866;
    Well, the good news is if he so much as stubs his toe, we'll be sure to hear about it being the most debilitating painful injury ever suffered on the show and that only supreme courage and fortitude and love for the people allow him to work through the agony.

Too funny, Brit.

Gilles reminds me of Pete Sampras. Pete's tennis was superb, but he was the whiniest player, if he had any kind of sour stomach, injury, etc., it was heard around the world. He never conceded that someone else outplayed him, he would remark he lost because his tummy hurt.

My husband played football in high school and dislocated his shoulder. To this day he still has problems with it. (he graduated in the 80's... I'm much younger than him :-)). Anyway, if we are out and he wants to put his arm around me.. he has to make sure it's his non injured arm. He also played baseball and the dislocated shoulder prevented a college career in baseball (yes, he was that good). If he sleeps wrong it takes days and even weeks sometimes for his shoulder to feel better.

All that to say... if Gilles really does have a seperated shoulder... I don't know how he is going to last. I guess we will see....

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by illusions;3419929;
    Thanks for sharing sdl! So you actually started having shoulder problems with the overhead lifts? Did you ever separate it like Gilles supposedly did that will require surgery? I'm just wondering how Gilles can support the weight of the lift even if Cheryl DOES kick off? This will be interesting to see how Cheryl choreographs the Lindy Hop to keep him from further aggravating his shoulder. They have to keep up with Melissa on this one!
    I dislocated my shoulder in rodeo. Also broke my collar bone, my hand (twice), my hip and my femur. Several concussions and a horn in my side later, cheerleading started to look pretty good to me.
    The only injury that really bothered me, and does to this day, was the separated shoulder.
    A lot of people say that the head of the humerus (ball at the top of your arm) fits into a "socket" but that's not technically accurate. The ball lays against a shallow vertical dish of shoulder bone called the glenoid. It is held in place by muscles, ligaments and tendons.
    You separate your shoulder when the head of the humerus is yanked out of it's resting place and it has to be manipulated back into it's normal alignment. But the place your arm left behind isn't the same anymore - the muscles are pulled, the tendons stretched out, and the ligaments torn.
    The problem then is that when you move your arm to an unnatural position, such as an overhead lift, the support structure isn't there to allow it, causing a lot of pain as the shoulder tries to dislocate again. If it's bad enough, they'll do surgery to return everything as close as possible to the way it was before. But it's never the same as God made it.
    I'm lucky that I separated my right shoulder, and I'm left handed. Therefore, I used my left arm in the lifts to do all of the work, with my right arm following along only for balance.
    If his shoulder really was separated, and I have no reason not to believe him, he can do it. It's just harder.
    Sorry for the long explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3419875;
    How really bad is this injury? Is this being hyped for the publicity, or does he truly have a separated shoulder and is somehow dancing and doing all of these things that everyone on this board who has had a shoulder injury said they couldn't do?
    Well, we are unlikely to know how bad it is until after he's had his surgery. But, if the surgery described is the next approach, it's bad. It's true that some people have higher pain tolerance than others (much to my surprise, I'm on the high end, ), but if they need to screw your clavicle (sp?) into your scapula (exactly the surgery I had, as stated elsewhere), it's not a joke.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Gilles said next week that he'll be doing the Lindy Hop if he survives. I can't wait to see it!

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3420028;
    Well, we are unlikely to know how bad it is until after he's had his surgery. But, if the surgery described is the next approach, it's bad. It's true that some people have higher pain tolerance than others (much to my surprise, I'm on the high end, ), but if they need to screw your clavicle (sp?) into your scapula (exactly the surgery I had, as stated elsewhere), it's not a joke.
    I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that what you're describing is a Grade III separation, which is a complete tearing away of the clavicle (collar bone) from the scapula (shoulder blade) where they meet at the outer end of the shoulder.
    In other words, the architecture of the shoulder itself has been disrupted to such an extent that the collar bone is literally torn away from the scapula at the place where they are normally attached by ligaments. That's BAD, usually doesn't heal on it's own, and is characterized by a lump in the shoulder where the collar bone is sticking out. The surgery is to reconnect with screws these two bones in the shoulder.
    I can't image that Gilles has anything so serious. What I was describing is what most laypeople think of as a simple separation.

+ Reply to Thread