+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 115 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDovolaniFan;3414777;
    I also agree that Gilles' jive was better than Lil' Kim's. Kim's dance was entertaining, but it wasn't really a jive. How could it get two 10's when it wasn't really a jive (and had mistakes, as some of you pointed out)?
    In what way, specifically, was it not a jive? I'm asking in all honesty, here. Regardless of any mistakes that may have been made, how was the choreography not worthy of the 'jive'?
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by aname2;3414744;
    I agree that Gilles and Cheryl's jive was superior to Lil Kim and Derek. I saw Kim make a lot of mistakes in her timing and don't understand the praise. The jive is supposed to be fast - very fast so I don't understand the criticism of Gilles. I thlnk the judges think they should try to even the field at the top by giving the second placers better scores and the first placers lower scores to balance it better and to encourage all of them to strive to do better. Gilles alread gives it 110% so to try harder would be somewhat redundant for him. He is a wonderful dancer. I enjoy every performance.
    I think what the judges do is more akin to handicapping in golf, in that they expect more from the ones who they know are good, and score them a bit tougher, and especially critique them tougher, which then sometimes comes across at nitpicking. When someone is mediocre and then has an improved performance, they will gush over them, and reward them with higher scores than they comparatively deserve. Example- LT did better this week, maybe his best, and got an 8 from Bruno, only one point lower than Gilles or Melissa. I love LT, but REALLY?? They really ought to start scoring in half-points, because the different options between a 7 (for mediocre) and a 10 (for perfection) are too limited.

Dancing With the Stars frontrunner Gilles Marini has a good excuse for why he didn't remember his Monday night jive routine until the 11th hour. It was the Cortisone shot!

We'll let Gilles explain...

"They shot Cortisone and then after two weeks I have to take a lot of medicine," Gilles tells E! News backstage after tonight's elimination show (bye bye Steve-O). Of course, Gilles is talking about his shoulder injury, which he will undergo surgery for once the show ends. "[Cortisone] makes me a little drowsy, so I can't remember the steps."

I've had 5 cortisone injections in my foot for 2 neuromas. I willl need to undergo surgery, as the cortisone hasn't totally helped.
    I also had several cortisone injections in my hand a few years ago.
    I realize everyone is different, but I have never heard of anyone getting drowsy from cortisone injections. Yes, they can be painful, but they don't make you sleepy.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3414832;
    Dancing With the Stars frontrunner Gilles Marini has a good excuse for why he didn't remember his Monday night jive routine until the 11th hour. It was the Cortisone shot!

"They shot Cortisone and then after two weeks I have to take a lot of medicine," Gilles tells E! News backstage after tonight's elimination show (bye bye Steve-O). Of course, Gilles is talking about his shoulder injury, which he will undergo surgery for once the show ends. "[Cortisone] makes me a little drowsy, so I can't remember the steps."

I've had 5 cortisone injections in my foot for 2 neuromas. I willl need to undergo surgery, as the cortisone hasn't totally helped.
    I realize everyone is different, but I have never heard of anyone getting drowsy from cortisone injections. Yes, they can be painful, but they don't make you sleepy.
    Yes, everyone is affected differently by different medications. Cortisone makes me dopey, antibiotics make me both dopey and nauseous, painkillers make me vomit so violently that that only the most excruciatingly intolerable level of pain will drive me to take them, and then when I do, I tend to sleep for eighteen straight hours. This is all primarily because I went the first twenty five years of my life having only taken antibiotics once, and no other medications at all. If Gilles has gone through a medicine free life, even something as seemingly innocuous as cortisone (though not actually innocuous - the stuff's carcinogenic and should only be used in moderation) might cause a blurry brain.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Divide and conquer - I do not think that will work. You see most of those who appreciate and see the talent in Gilles, happen to have noticed the emergence and brillance of Lil'Kim. One does not take from the other. There is no need to set one against the other.

This week both Lil'Kim and Gilles performed the jive. Unfortunately, Gilles jive resembled something Melissa will do. It was packed technically with great steps. Melissa's usually does not have soul. And, this week Cheryl choreographed a dance that was too hectic to express soul. There couldn't even be the sense of fun as they danced panting for breath to smile etc. That is why they scored less. The steps were not bad, but it was not much entertaining. Instead Lil'Kim was entertaining and fun as a jive should be.
    Last edited by Living; 04-15-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3414797;
    In what way, specifically, was it not a jive? I'm asking in all honesty, here. Regardless of any mistakes that may have been made, how was the choreography not worthy of the 'jive'?
    The flicks and kicks were lacking, but that is all I could notice that was lacking. Otherwise, I loved the dance, but I had to agree with Len on the missing elements. Still, it was my fave.

Gilles Jive was good as well, but it wasn't his best dance to date.

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3414797;

To me, it looked more like a freestyle than a jive, but that's just my opinion.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3414832;

I don't want to beat this to death, because I do believe the guy should shut up and dance, but I'm wondering about whoever edited this quotation.
    Gilles said, "They shot cortisone AND THEN AFTER 2 WEEKS I HAD TO TAKE A LOT OF MEDICINE."
    The "a lot of medicine" he has been taking most recently would almost certainly be pain killers and muscles relaxers, which would make anyone loopy.
    Then the person editing his comments took out whatever words he actually used to describe the medicine he said was fogging up his head, and plugged in "[Cortisone]......makes me a little drowsy....."
    I would like to hear what he really said, because I find it hard to believe that he was talking about a cortisone shot he got two weeks ago, when he's been on a "a lot of medicine" prescribed for him since then.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3414893;
    I don't want to beat this to death, because I do believe the guy should shut up and dance, but I'm wondering about whoever edited this quotation.
    Gilles said, "They shot cortisone AND THEN AFTER 2 WEEKS I HAD TO TAKE A LOT OF MEDICINE."
    The "a lot of medicine" he has been taking most recently would almost certainly be pain killers and muscles relaxers, which would make anyone loopy.
    Then the person editing his comments took out whatever words he actually used to describe the medicine he said was fogging up his head, and plugged in "[Cortisone]......makes me a little drowsy....."
    I would like to hear what he really said, because I find it hard to believe that he was talking about a cortisone shot he got two weeks ago, when he's been on a "a lot of medicine" prescribed for him since then.

I agree with you. I think the guy needs to quit while he's ahead. As I said upstream, too, everyone reacts differently to things. It is way more common to get drowsiness with muscle relaxers and pain relievers.
    Cortisone shots can hurt like he*l but they do not typically put one to sleep. And doctors do not ever even mention that to patients as it is not a known side effect.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 04-15-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3414750;
    Yep, I understand your perspective. I'm struggling to remember who else would be considered a contender. I would imagine that you'd get pretty much of a consensus that Gilles and Melissa are the two best. I tend to agree with you that Lil Kim might be thought to be inferior to Shawn. I am not one of those people though. Lil Kim has emerged, imo, to be number 3 and who knows how much better she'll get. I just think that Shawn is unlikely to experience a lot of growth in her dance performances. Gymnastics is too different from ballroom and latin dancing and she's too young and embarassed to be able to project the romance and sexiness required.
    Sorry to be OT here, but the gymnastics Jive pretty much demonstrated that she needed to rely on her gymnastics prowess vs. actually performing the Jive.
    Perhaps I was not clear in what I wrote earlier (thought I try very hard). I hope I didn't suggest anywhere that Lil Kim is inferior to Shawn. Perhaps another wrote that. I believe she is better than Shawn. Only time will tell which one of the three (Lil Kim, Gilles and Melissa) is the best dancer.

+ Reply to Thread