+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 115 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by jcsorrels;3413326;
    Gilles does seem to work hard, as do all of the contestants from what I see. But I certainly do not see him doing the most difficult routines. Nor would I consider him the best pure dancer. In the dances he has scored well, it was more about posturing than dancing--the icy glare or sliding across the floor or thrusting an imaginary blade into his partner's heart --great drama that is indeed crowd pleasing! That's not a knock because that is an element of dancing. Cheryl sure knows how to end each dance with a bang! As a professional actor he excells at getting into the character of the dance, especially the ones that call for some male bravado.

And accordingly, Gilles has done well with the judges (we don't know about the voters, of course, but I suspect they appreciate him, too). I think he has deserved his high marks so far. But last night showed that as he is called upon more and more to actually dance rather than posture, the high marks will fade. Unfortunatley for him, I think some of the best opportunities for him to utilize his strengths mentioned above have passed. I think they sort of stacked the deck for him on the front end and we're only, what, half-way through? Having said that I fully expect him to be in the final 3. I would not be surprised at all if he wins, just disappointed that a showman won rather than the best pure dancer. I'd feel the same way if LT won just because of his "fan base." (BTW, I do realize that DWTS isn't only about pure dancing ability just as IDOL isn't only about being technically the best singer.)

Finally, I'm not sure it is wise to declare Gilles the best dancer based solely on the "unbiased" judges. While I think they are basically "honest", they seem to rate the crowd pleasing dances (see Lil Kim's Jive, Gilles' Paso, Mel's Lindy) higher than routines that are "technically better" IMO. Did anybody really think Lil Kim's jive deserved two "10s"? I feel they ignored the obvious mistakes because it was an exciting crowd pleaser. Or perhaps they are trying to make this into more that a two or three horse race.
    But how often have the judges knocked someone down because of their poor posture? So Gilles has that down pat. To each their own, but I think Gilles has a great teacher and partner in Cheryl, who can always work on her partners weaknesses, bring out their strengths, and put together a routine that's not too much and not too little. Sometimes the most difficult routines aren't always the best. It's probably why Gilles has been scoring higher and at the top of the leaderboard more often than anyone else. I don't see this as opportunities passing; rather, I think they're just beginning. He'll get to back and do some very romantic and elegant ballroom dances and pick up the sexy latin numbers he hasn't done yet. And I don't think the lindy hop will be a challenge, as I'm sure Cheryl can come up with something that'll substitute anything that'll aggrivate his shoulder. And I'm not declaring him the best dancer based on the judges, that's just my own opinion, and apparently the audience at the studio as well. Just like other fans of the front runners think their favorite is the best dancer of the bunch. But IMO, I think Gilles does deserve to win based on his dancing, because he had the disadvantage of coming in with a huge fanbase. Most everyone wrote him off until the first episode. Really, anyone who wins will likely win more on popularity than on dancing ability. People are voting for Ty, Steve-O, and LT but are they really the best dancers? Are those voting for Melissa, Shawn, Kim, and Gilles voting for them based more on their dancing or because they like them? And that all goes back to it being a matter of opinion Gilles will keep getting my votes.

And no, I don't think Kim's (or rather Derek's) jive deserved the 10's but they love him and considering who gave the 10's I'm not surprised.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3413336;
    But how often have the judges knocked someone down because of their poor posture? So Gilles has that down pat. To each their own, but I think Gilles has a great teacher and partner in Cheryl, who can always work on her partners weaknesses, bring out their strengths, and put together a routine that's not too much and not too little. Sometimes the most difficult routines aren't always the best. It's probably why Gilles has been scoring higher and at the top of the leaderboard more often than anyone else. I don't see this as opportunities passing; rather, I think they're just beginning. He'll get to back and do some very romantic and elegant ballroom dances and pick up the sexy latin numbers he hasn't done yet. And I don't think the lindy hop will be a challenge, as I'm sure Cheryl can come up with something that'll substitute anything that'll aggrivate his shoulder. And I'm not declaring him the best dancer based on the judges, that's just my own opinion, and apparently the audience at the studio as well. Just like other fans of the front runners think their favorite is the best dancer of the bunch. But IMO, I think Gilles does deserve to win based on his dancing, because he had the disadvantage of coming in with a huge fanbase. Most everyone wrote him off until the first episode. Really, anyone who wins will likely win more on popularity than on dancing ability. People are voting for Ty, Steve-O, and LT but are they really the best dancers? Are those voting for Melissa, Shawn, Kim, and Gilles voting for them based more on their dancing or because they like them? And that all goes back to it being a matter of opinion Gilles will keep getting my votes.

And no, I don't think Kim's (or rather Derek's) jive deserved the 10's but they love him and considering who gave the 10's I'm not surprised.
    Here's something to consider....although Gilles has proven to be a natural and naturally an excellent dancer, it is my honest opinion that Melissa is a natural, excellent dancer as well. She is not liked by many women on this board, but that does not negate the fact that she dances beautifully. There are many, many people who are voting for her on DI as evidenced on that thread, and I would dare say that a great many of them never watched the Bachelor. They are voting for her on her dancing.
    She has the same natural elegance as Brooke and Kristi. I am sorry that she isn't well liked on this site, but she is still a lovely dancer.
    Gilles also is a wonderful dancer. Because they are rivals doesn't take away from the natural ability of either one of them imo.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Secret;3413331;
    That's what bothered me about the interview. Not so much that he was thinking it, but that he said it that way. I know he is getting along great with the other contestants and likely didn't mean it this way, but when other people really ARE getting 4s and 5s as scores, saying that getting an 8 is like getting a 3 is a bit extreme and really insensitive.

I'm sure Ty, LT and Steve-O would love to get his scores for a performance!
    I don't believe that winners should temper their drive and enthusiasm to be more "sensitive" to the lowest common denominator.
    If Ty, LT, or Steve-O are offended by Gilles' comments, then they should pick up their games to get into his league.
    I'll guarantee you that Ty Murray would approve of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3413381;
    Here's something to consider....although Gilles has proven to be a natural and naturally an excellent dancer, it is my honest opinion that Melissa is a natural, excellent dancer as well. She is not liked by many women on this board, but that does not negate the fact that she dances beautifully. There are many, many people who are voting for her on DI as evidenced on that thread, and I would dare say that a great many of them never watched the Bachelor. They are voting for her on her dancing.
    She has the same natural elegance as Brooke and Kristi. I am sorry that she isn't well liked on this site, but she is still a lovely dancer.
    Gilles also is a wonderful dancer. Because they are rivals doesn't take away from the natural ability of either one of them imo.
    I've said before that I would love to see Gilles and Mel dance together in the finale - no pros, just two amatures showing what they've learned. I think it would be smokin' as they are the two hottest "stars" IMO. *Imagining them doing the Rumba*

...it is my honest opinion that Melissa is a natural, excellent dancer as well. She is not liked by many women on this board, but that does not negate the fact that she dances beautifully...
    The vast majority of people posting on this board are women, so of course the people who don't care for her are going to be women. And conversely, the people who think she's the best thing since Wonderbread are women.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3413420;
    I don't believe that winners should temper their drive and enthusiasm to be more "sensitive" to the lowest common denominator.
    If Ty, LT, or Steve-O are offended by Gilles' comments, then they should pick up their games to get into his league.
    I'll guarantee you that Ty Murray would approve of this message.
    I believe they have picked up their game - they have each shown great improvement since the beginning of the show - but alas - they lack that 'natural abilities' that some of the other dances seem to have - so it is to their detriment that they cannot compete with the likes of the top 4 dancers/pros - kind of like an unfair advantage by some - but in essence they just don't have 'it'.

And I do disagree with your first comment - it is the top of the heap that - at times - needs to sample the humble pie.
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

According to his interview with George Pennachio at OnTheRedCarpet, he said they are not giving him anymore cortisone shots. He will have surgery when he completes this show; surgery which will require a pin placement in the shoulder.

He, along with the majority of the dancers left, is striving to do his best, and the "lowered" score in his estimation may have indicated to him that he hadn't done his best - or his best wasn't rewarded. It's tricky when ego and expectations seem to clash. Look at how LT has had to come to grips with the fact that he won't win. Very tricky, but hopefully not treacherous in that it causes him to sink below his own expectations.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Capegal;3413466;
    I believe they have picked up their game - they have each shown great improvement since the beginning of the show - but alas - they lack that 'natural abilities' that some of the other dances seem to have - so it is to their detriment that they cannot compete with the likes of the top 4 dancers/pros - kind of like an unfair advantage by some - but in essence they just don't have 'it'.

And I do disagree with your first comment - it is the top of the heap that - at times - needs to sample the humble pie.
    Given that the nature of the contest is that somebody is voted off on a regular basis, it doesn't matter how much they step up their game, how hard they try, or even how much ability they have. There are eight of them left and only 3 spots in the finals with one ultimate winner.
    That said the best they can hope for is that they try as hard as they can with whatever ability they have and the fans vote for them. The rest is whatever will be will be.
    Even Melissa, Gilles and Shawn aren't guaranteed one of those last 3 spots, and imo they have the best shot at it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

But there again comes an opinion. I don't deny she's not a good dancer but I don't think she's as great as her fans think. I thought Brooke was overrated and boring but a good dancer, and Kristi a good dancer, not so boring, but I still preferred Jason over her. I also think we'll never know whether the majority of people voting for her are TB fans or not but I wouldn't believe that's not somehow coming into play, or that people may just like her even if they don't think she's the best. Everyone's got their own reasons for voting.

But the difference of opinions makes these messageboards interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Capegal;3413276;
    it is always the other way around LOL

They ALL push themselves - to their max ability - he is not unique in that respect - others also take on difficult routines as well.

Guess his true colors are showing - aaww gee LOL
    This is not my perception at all. First of all I don't even think the individual celebs feel that they are all pushing themselves equally, much less I as a long time viewer of DWTS. In no other venue do any set of people push themselves the same amount, so why should this be any different.

I have no idea of who actually pushes themselves the most this season, but I would certainly believe that Gilles, and yes Mel, are among the hardest workers.
    Oh and I FULLY believe that Cheryl requires ALL of her partners to work hard. I believe that she's a "drill sargeant".

+ Reply to Thread