+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 115 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Saying an 8 is like a 3 could be seen as insensitive to the other dancers some of whom get 4 and 6 and are struggling to even get close to an 8. It's okay to think it and feel it but it might be best to keep that comment to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova14;3413314;
    Saying an 8 is like a 3 could be seen as insensitive to the other dancers some of whom get 4 and 6 and are struggling to even get close to an 8. It's okay to think it and feel it but it might be best to keep that comment to himself.
    and it's pretty hard to claim it was taken out of context.

i'm sure cheryl has whipped gilles right back into shape and he will be humble and gracious tonight. as long as samantha can stumble through the interviews, that is.

i'm not at all convinced that gilles couldn't succumb to the sabrina-factor. i'm just sayin...

And I think that is the key here - certain things are definitely better left unsaid - ok to think tho (and he said sooo much at once - yikes)
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyQOC;3413317;
    and it's pretty hard to claim it was taken out of context.

i'm sure cheryl has whipped gilles right back into shape and he will be humble and gracious tonight. as long as samantha can stumble through the interviews, that is.

i'm not at all convinced that gilles couldn't succumb to the sabrina-factor. i'm just sayin...
    Hopefully it's not him but another popular female dancer that gets Sabrinaed. Or Chuck. I'm ready for him to go

Cheryl did a great job with Cristian when he hurt his arm. I don't think he really had a chance of making the final 2 that year, but I'm sure it affected the freestyle round, and I'm afraid that may be Gilles downfall. Of course Cheryl has put together some great freestyles before that didn't require a lot of lifts and tricks.

FORT Fogey

The LH will be the hardest one for him out of those left shoulder wise.

Gilles does seem to work hard, as do all of the contestants from what I see. But I certainly do not see him doing the most difficult routines. Nor would I consider him the best pure dancer. In the dances he has scored well, it was more about posturing than dancing--the icy glare or sliding across the floor or thrusting an imaginary blade into his partner's heart --great drama that is indeed crowd pleasing! That's not a knock because that is an element of dancing. Cheryl sure knows how to end each dance with a bang! As a professional actor he excells at getting into the character of the dance, especially the ones that call for some male bravado.

And accordingly, Gilles has done well with the judges (we don't know about the voters, of course, but I suspect they appreciate him, too). I think he has deserved his high marks so far. But last night showed that as he is called upon more and more to actually dance rather than posture, the high marks will fade. Unfortunatley for him, I think some of the best opportunities for him to utilize his strengths mentioned above have passed. I think they sort of stacked the deck for him on the front end and we're only, what, half-way through? Having said that I fully expect him to be in the final 3. I would not be surprised at all if he wins, just disappointed that a showman won rather than the best pure dancer. I'd feel the same way if LT won just because of his "fan base." (BTW, I do realize that DWTS isn't only about pure dancing ability just as IDOL isn't only about being technically the best singer.)

Finally, I'm not sure it is wise to declare Gilles the best dancer based solely on the "unbiased" judges. While I think they are basically "honest", they seem to rate the crowd pleasing dances (see Lil Kim's Jive, Gilles' Paso, Mel's Lindy) higher than routines that are "technically better" IMO. Did anybody really think Lil Kim's jive deserved two "10s"? I feel they ignored the obvious mistakes because it was an exciting crowd pleaser. Or perhaps they are trying to make this into more that a two or three horse race.

he can probably get one more ginormous cortisone shot before they cut him off. i'd definitely hold off on it til he had a lift-intensive dance. or is it like sports...they are claiming his shoulder is injured but it's really his (fill in the blank) to keep the competition guessing. i hope my suggestion of this ploy doesn't bring it to life. oops.

That's what bothered me about the interview. Not so much that he was thinking it, but that he said it that way. I know he is getting along great with the other contestants and likely didn't mean it this way, but when other people really ARE getting 4s and 5s as scores, saying that getting an 8 is like getting a 3 is a bit extreme and really insensitive.

I'm sure Ty, LT and Steve-O would love to get his scores for a performance!

Quote Originally Posted by jcsorrels;3413326;
    Gilles does seem to work hard, as do all of the contestants from what I see. But I certainly do not see him doing the most difficult routines. Nor would I consider him the best pure dancer. In the dances he has scored well, it was more about posturing than dancing--the icy glare or sliding across the floor or thrusting an imaginary blade into his partner's heart --great drama that is indeed crowd pleasing! That's not a knock because that is an element of dancing. Cheryl sure knows how to end each dance with a bang! As a professional actor he excells at getting into the character of the dance, especially the ones that call for some male bravado.

And accordingly, Gilles has done well with the judges (we don't know about the voters, of course, but I suspect they appreciate him, too). I think he has deserved his high marks so far. But last night showed that as he is called upon more and more to actually dance rather than posture, the high marks will fade. Unfortunatley for him, I think some of the best opportunities for him to utilize his strengths mentioned above have passed. I think they sort of stacked the deck for him on the front end and we're only, what, half-way through? Having said that I fully expect him to be in the final 3. I would not be surprised at all if he wins, just disappointed that a showman won rather than the best pure dancer. I'd feel the same way if LT won just because of his "fan base." (BTW, I do realize that DWTS isn't only about pure dancing ability just as IDOL isn't only about being technically the best singer.)

Finally, I'm not sure it is wise to declare Gilles the best dancer based solely on the "unbiased" judges. While I think they are basically "honest", they seem to rate the crowd pleasing dances (see Lil Kim's Jive, Gilles' Paso, Mel's Lindy) higher than routines that are "technically better" IMO. Did anybody really think Lil Kim's jive deserved two "10s"? I feel they ignored the obvious mistakes because it was an exciting crowd pleaser. Or perhaps they are trying to make this into more that a two or three horse race.
    JCSORRELS - excellent post and well thought out points. I also won't be surprised to see Gilles take the glass ball - but I think there are others who will give him a run for his bootie. I really hope the scoring does the final 4 more honest justice tho.
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3413307;
    Whatever the extent of his shoulder injury, with any shoulder injury, it is very difficult to be doing the kind of dances Gilles has performed. There are all kinds of shoulder injuries with some more extensive than others. I don't downplay his injury at all..just because it may not be a separated shoulder.
    I'm not downplaying that he has a shoulder injury, just not a separated one. Big difference.

Becky, If I were him I think I'd drop out of the competition before I'd get those cortisone shots. I think I started gaining weight before I got to the parking lot after getting one of those.
    Last edited by Muduh; 04-14-2009 at 08:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread