+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 115 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3398572;
    Perhaps people aren't phrasing it as such, but the Melissa-bashing (as is everyone's right to do) is certainly far from a faint or infrequent cry, IMO. And I do think that one's distaste for a contestant, however dispassionate, tends to influence one's enjoyment of their dance, however subtle.
    I didn't say it was faint or infrequent, I said that the focus of the bashing tends to be her lack of personality. Very few people have said that they "hate" her, or that she "grosses them out". Those who don't care for her, for the most part, are simply bored by her. And yes, because she is so dull and I find that she has nothing to offer outside of some perkiness and some cheerleader honed dance steps, I am not compelled to watch her dance. I have seen dancers over the years with less technical ability but more je ne sais quoi (a particular dance of Tia Carrere's comes to mind) that dared me not to watch them.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Can we please stop referring non-positive comments about a contestant as "bashing".
    That term does imply a certain relentless and/or unnecessarily harsh treatment of that contestant and is toeing the line of insulting/flaming/baiting.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3398303;
    Considering what an excellent job he did with the quick step, how fit and limber he is, and what a quick learner he is, I think he would do quite well.
    ITA - They will do great at the Lindy Hop. Cheryl is a skilled partner and all of her dances are well put together and exciting. Plus both of them have a good sense of humor that will add to the dance routine. Their Tango was sensational -- they stayed in character and navigated a very intricate dance routine. I can't wait to see them do the Lindy Hop, as it has to be good! They are the ones to beat in this competition and this competition is just getting ramped up! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3398582;
    I didn't say it was faint or infrequent, I said that the focus of the bashing tends to be her lack of personality. Very few people have said that they "hate" her, or that she "grosses them out". Those who don't care for her, for the most part, are simply bored by her. And yes, because she is so dull and I find that she has nothing to offer outside of some perkiness and some cheerleader honed dance steps, I am not compelled to watch her dance. I have seen dancers over the years with less technical ability but more je ne sais quoi (a particular dance of Tia Carrere's comes to mind) that dared me not to watch them.
    Point taken. The word "thread" in your post to me connoted a slight or weak presence of dislike, whereas, as one poster adeptly noted, reaction to her is about 50/50 pro-con at present. I sincerely hope nobody "hates" either her or Gilles (have many people said they hate him?), or any one of the celebs who none of us know personally. They all seem to be trying their hardest and have earned my respect, even the ones who can't dance.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3398572;
    Perhaps people aren't phrasing it as such, but the Melissa-bashing (as is everyone's right to do) is certainly far from a faint or infrequent cry, IMO. And I do think that one's distaste for a contestant, however dispassionate, tends to influence one's enjoyment of their dance, however subtle.
    Exactly what I was trying to say but you said it much more eloquently.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3398615;
    Point taken. The word "thread" in your post to me connoted a slight or weak presence of dislike, whereas, as one poster adeptly noted, reaction to her is about 50/50 pro-con at present. I sincerely hope nobody "hates" either her or Gilles (have many people said they hate him?), or any one of the celebs who none of us know personally. They all seem to be trying their hardest and have earned my respect, even the ones who can't dance.
    I don't HATE him. I just don't want him on my TV anymore. I would stop watching the show, and wouldn't have even STARTED watching this season, if it weren't for Melissa and Steve-O.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3398148;
    But so far the only dance where Mel and Tony have had to 'smolder' was the waltz - and that was their first dance. I wonder if when they have to do the AT the chemistry will be there - we'll have to wait and see.

C&G's chemistry is so evident, it seems like they are madly in love with each other.
    I think they stated the situation: Gilles is an actor, it paid off to put the finishing touch on the routine. Most other couples can't pull that off and it is important in these latin dances.

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3398733;
    I think they stated the situation: Gilles is an actor, it paid off to put the finishing touch on the routine. Most other couples can't pull that off and it is important in these latin dances.
    Gilles is a better actor (and dancer) than I gave him credit for only knowing him from one film. He is a true artist and there is no question that DWTS will launch his career in the US. Cheryl encouraged him to use his acting ability to polish the dance and give him the confidence he wasn't feeling in rehearsal. His future appearances can only get better as he keeps raising the bar for himself and others. He is a joy to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;3398747;
    Gilles is a better actor (and dancer) than I gave him credit for only knowing him from one film. He is a true artist and there is no question that DWTS will launch his career in the US. Cheryl encouraged him to use his acting ability to polish the dance and give him the confidence he wasn't feeling in rehearsal. His future appearances can only get better as he keeps raising the bar for himself and others. He is a joy to watch!
    I agree, not only does he perform the dances well, but he (greatly aided by Cheryl) SELLS them. I wonder what his next dance will be?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3398313;
    He's not being judged on the choreography, he's being judged on his execution of the choreography. How well the other contestants performed, or were scored, is irrelevant.
    This is powerful! You really said it all. So much for comparing apples and oranges. I'm still baffled by the posters who couldn't or didn't see his intricate footwork. I started wondering if I was imagining it. But your statement is what it all comes down to. This should be posted for everyone on every thread to see!

And as far as the "men vs. women who has to work harder" debate: think of when Ty caught Chelsie when she fell and they carried on. I found myself wondering at first if it was all part of their routine. They were in control, and I would bet not every male "star" on the show would react like this. I believe the men and women have to work equally as hard. All of the things that come into play - choreography, past experience, "star" factor, etc. can influence the votes, but I say kudos to all of them for working as hard as they possibly can.

In case anyone's wondering , I hope Gilles and Cheryl win!

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;3398840;
    I'm still baffled by the posters who couldn't or didn't see his intricate footwork. I started wondering if I was imagining it.
    Me too. But after the earlier comments from the judges about kicks and whatnot, I made a point of watching Gilles feet and I was really impressed with how sharp his footwork was. So we're not imagining anything.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread