+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas - Season 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by Thyme;3387211;
    Kids seem so worldly these days. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see Shawn get all blushy and shy when Mark was trying to teach her to wiggle about.

I hope she can handle the rumba. Mark will have to find some way to make it convincing while toning it down because she is a minor.
    She was so perfectly her age when she blushed. That was adorable.

FORT Regular

TV Guide has an interview with Shawn. It covers her thoughts on other competitors, her tripping the first night and other subjects.

I was most interested to hear her reaction to the idea that she should be more naughty:

TVGuide.com: The judges said they wanted you to be more naughty, which I thought was weird. What were you thinking?
    Johnson: I was a little bit shocked. I mean, ever since I've gotten to the show, the one thing everybody has said is, "We want to keep you young and look your age." So when they said that, I was like, "Well, I don't think I'm allowed to!" [Laughs] But Mark said we're not gonna go for naughty.
    link

Good for Mark and Shawn! I agree with Thyme that watching Shawn is refreshing.

Okay... She can't move her hips well... She looks kinda stiff. lol. But those legs? Gosh! Amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by DayByDay;3388246;
    TV Guide has an interview with Shawn. It covers her thoughts on other competitors, her tripping the first night and other subjects.

I was most interested to hear her reaction to the idea that she should be more naughty:

link

Good for Mark and Shawn! I agree with Thyme that watching Shawn is refreshing.
    Unfortunately, I think the judges must have one standard of measurement. If one is adding or subtracting points from other dancers because they are "naughty" as the dance requires it, then one cannot create a separate standard for Shawn Johnson. (The Game Show Act might also apply). I completely agree with Mark in that they won't go in that direction, but I do think that it means Shawn, while entirely lovable is misplaced in this competition and will not win.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3389099;
    I completely agree with Mark in that they won't go in that direction, but I do think that it means Shawn, while entirely lovable is misplaced in this competition and will not win.
    I agree with your entire post, except this very last part, where I only partially concur. She is misplaced here, but she has an enormous fan base (some of whom may also be uncomfortable with her appearance on the program), which may carry her through.

Since the placement is equal parts judges and audience voting, the judges are going to have to really mark her down (or hold her back) in order for her to do poorly. Hopefully that is done in a gentle way, so they don't look like a bunch of meaniepantz to this little Olympian.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3389106;
    I agree with your entire post, except this very last part, where I only partially concur. She is misplaced here, but she has an enormous fan base (some of whom may also be uncomfortable with her appearance on the program), which may carry her through.

Since the placement is equal parts judges and audience voting, the judges are going to have to really mark her down (or hold her back) in order for her to do poorly. Hopefully that is done in a gentle way, so they don't look like a bunch of meaniepantz to this little Olympian.
    Word inside the professional dance world is that the producers are watching over her carefully and had a talk with both Len and Bruno about "moral values" issues in the US which are largely laughed at in the UK. We're considered country bumpkins by most Europeans in the arts communities.

PS, Good luck with your "ocean shoveling" gig. I'll be cleaning liquid off of my keyboard now that I just spit on it while reading that.

I'm concerned about her actually being on a show at all.

Not only do most of these dances require the person to shake, shimmy and be sexy, most of the costumes show more skin than I've seen at my local beach. (well, maybe not, but you know what I mean )

While I applaud her dancing so far, I just don't see how long she will be able to continue if she is not able to perform the dances as they were intended.

Quote Originally Posted by tmpray;3389220;
    I'm concerned about her actually being on a show at all.

Not only do most of these dances require the person to shake, shimmy and be sexy, most of the costumes show more skin than I've seen at my local beach. (well, maybe not, but you know what I mean )

While I applaud her dancing so far, I just don't see how long she will be able to continue if she is not able to perform the dances as they were intended.
    The skimpy costumes and suggestive dancing is the reason my sister won't let my 10 year old niece watch the show. She let her watch season 6 when she was 8 but has not let her watch since. My niece is a ballet dancer herself and was previously a competitive gymnast and so she really wants to watch because of the dancing and also because of Shawn. This has caused some big fights between the two of them as you can imagine
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3389216;
    Word inside the professional dance world is that the producers are watching over her carefully and had a talk with both Len and Bruno about "moral values" issues in the US which are largely laughed at in the UK. We're considered country bumpkins by most Europeans in the arts communities.

PS, Good luck with your "ocean shoveling" gig. I'll be cleaning liquid off of my keyboard now that I just spit on it while reading that.

So, in essence according to what you are hearing, she is actually going to be judged to different standards than the adults?

What you say may fall in line with the statement she made in the TV Guide interview where Mark said that they will not be doing "naughty". If he has been told by the producers that the judges have been told she is not to be held to the same "Latin" standards, then it makes sense that Mark would be confortable assuring her that they wouldn't be working on any suggestive moves.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fanatic

This annoys me. If there were concerns about Shawn's age and doing some of those dances, why didn't they wait to invite her when she was 18. Alicia Sacramone was really interested in doing the show, why couldn't they have invited her instead.

Apparently they asked Nastia Liukin, but Nastia said no because she's concentrating on preparing for this year's world championships.

+ Reply to Thread