+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas - Season 8

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas - Season 8

I'm probably in the minority here, too, but while I think Shawn is a doll her dancing just bores me. Tonight it seemed more like the Mark show than Shawn. I think he could have done something really spectacular but failed. And once again, they got overscored. And what was up with the outfits? I get they were trying for the gymnast angle but really, it looked like some D-list work out video that was being made.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3398044;
    I'm probably in the minority here, too, but while I think Shawn is a doll her dancing just bores me. Tonight it seemed more like the Mark show than Shawn. I think he could have done something really spectacular but failed. And once again, they got overscored. And what was up with the outfits? I get they were trying for the gymnast angle but really, it looked like some D-list work out video that was being made.
    I really like Shawn too. I think she is just a cutie and she CAN dance but I think her dances are a bit boring as well. I did enjoy tonight's routine but it was more tumbling and less dancing so I agree that they might have been overscored.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

FORT Fogey

Bad costumes and bad choreography. Too heavy on the gymnastics angle and it took it too far off the mark of the assigned dance. She tied with Ty and I think he should have been higher than her last night. In the end it prob doesn't matter because neither should be in any danger this week.

It was such a shame that Mark soft balled that routine last night. Honestly, I didn't see how Shawn was remotely challenged. That performance was the biggest disappointment for me. I expected so much more. The judges nailed it when they said (paraphrasing) "tricks" are fine, but where was the dancing?

What a shame. I was disappointed in their routine last night too. I won't call it a dance because I agree with the judges also. Mark's outfit was way out in left field and was distracting. Shawn is a cutie and I'm sure they will bounce back.
    I'm only here for the entertainment.

All Mark's hard work to pull her out of the gymastics world into the dance world went for naught last night. He threw her right back into her comfort zone and all her "bad" habits were on display once more. I, too, had expected a dance with a lot of lifts and throws, but with more "dance" than he choreographed. What a disappointment.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I, too, was disappointed in their dance last night. I think they did center it way too much around the gymnastics. She CAN do it, but it will be a bit more diffucult because she has always had to be stiff and precise. I hope next week is better for them. I just love her and she is a cutie pie.

And, I am not trying to be mean at all, but you can tell she has gained a bit of weight since the Olympics. She does not look bad at all, but for shorties (like me) it does not take much to show up. I don't blame her though because while training they have to eat so strictly and in her shoes I would take advantage of getting to eat all the fun stuff teenagers like while having a break from the gymnastic training.

If Ty keeps getting better each week, I think it will be a 3 way tie for 3rd between Ty, Lil Kim and Shawn. That is if Gilles and Melissa keep up their pace, which I fully expect they will. I now believe the final 2 most likely will be Melissa and Gilles.
    Happiness isn't just an emotion, it is a state of mind.

I was also disappointed with their performance last night. It was too much gymnastics and not enough dance/Lindy Hop.

I think Shawn is adorable and seems sweet, but I just don't care for her dancing. I've often felt she's been overscored.

it's been a wild ride! Parkhillian's Avatar

First thoughts on their dance.

Dreadful costumes.
    Wish they had used less tricks and more dance.

They had an opportunity to really shine with the LH and I am disappointed that they didn't fully take advantage of that. We all know that Shawn is an Olympic gymnast and while the flips were great, it looked more like a tumbling exercise than a LH.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Nova14;3398058;
    Bad costumes and bad choreography. Too heavy on the gymnastics angle and it took it too far off the mark of the assigned dance. She tied with Ty and I think he should have been higher than her last night. In the end it prob doesn't matter because neither should be in any danger this week.
    I am going to agree with everyone that the routine was too heavy on the gymnastics angle, and she did fall back into what she was used to. I noticed that when on one flip, she raised her hands straight up. However, I prefer to cut this child a little slack this week. Based on what she went through with the stalker incident and based on the fact that the Lindy Hop is comprised of flips and tricks, I think perhaps Mark did go heavy on what was comfortable and more easy for her at this specific point in time. Unfortunately, he went a little too overboard, and there wasn't enough dance in the routine.

Also, one judge called it "heavy". I noticed that she was concentrating on the stunts and was perhaps forgetting to concentrate on the "wiggle" and lightness - those things which are harder for her. All in all, though, I choose to give her a break this week and see if she can get back in the groove next week.

+ Reply to Thread