+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska - Season 8

Re: Lawrence Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3402761;
    Also, he may not be worthy (or capable) of 8's, but that 5 from Len (when Woz got a 4) was insulting.
    I think that's the main issue and DAG had the same reaction early on. They likely wouldn't feel at all insulted with a 5 if 1's and 2's were actually given to anyone. With the scale applied as it is, giving someone a 3 or a 4 is considered awful and deserving of demeaning comments from the judges so 1 point better than that is an insult.
    Last edited by justsaying; 04-04-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;3402805;
    I'll give you that one for sure - the 5 was uncalled for. And I agree that he can work his hardest and still not get the results he wants. That's why I think he'd do a little better to try and relax and have more fun with it, and I think that would make for better performances. Some of the worst dancers on this show throughout all of the seasons, have also been some of the most entertaining. He's not an entertainer either, so maybe that's an unfair expectation on my part. I just don't want him to take his frustrations out on Edyta and I think that's part of the chemistry that's missing between them, as Gala said. I'm sure Edyta can handle it, though, so I shouldn't worry about her too much.
    I absolutely agree with you that he would do better to "lose the intensity", not sure if he can though, since that was his style as a player. He is definitely not an entertainer. I do hope he is nice and respectful to Edyta, I didn't pick up the same vibe you did in the clips, but I admit to having a soft spot for LT, as a longtime Giants fan. Can't believe I'm about to say I sort of feel sorry for him because I don't think this show will be as "kind" to him as it has been to the other NFLers, for all the reasons stated.

Ironcat, I gathered you were a fan before he was on DWTS whereas I didn't know who he was. I feel a little sorry for him too, but hopefully he knows his fans aren't going to think less of him for not shining in the ballroom. I think its remarkable that the other NFLers have done as well as they have - especially Warren Sapp, who's hometown I now live in. They can't all do so well, and as you pointed out, he is older than the others that have done this show. It's not like he embarrassed himself or anything - just not quite the showman the others were.

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;3402981;
    Ironcat, I gathered you were a fan before he was on DWTS whereas I didn't know who he was. I feel a little sorry for him too, but hopefully he knows his fans aren't going to think less of him for not shining in the ballroom. I think its remarkable that the other NFLers have done as well as they have - especially Warren Sapp, who's hometown I now live in. They can't all do so well, and as you pointed out, he is older than the others that have done this show. It's not like he embarrassed himself or anything - just not quite the showman the others were.
    Thanks for the kind words. I actually met LT at a party once in the late 80's and he was nice as could be for the two seconds I spoke to him. Also huge, but not overly tall. It's interesting that of the 5 NFLers who have been on the show, the only other one who wasn't consistently praised by the judges was Jerry Rice, who along with LT is probably the most accomplished, football-wise. Yet his fan base was so huge that he almost won, despite getting significantly lower scores than Drew or Stacy. I'm quite sure LT won't have the same luck.

That's pretty cool - no wonder you're a fan and I'm sure I would be, too. I don't remember Jerry getting criticized too much by the judges - I thought he did very well. I remember thinking at the beginning of that season that Drew and Stacey had too much experience to be on DWTS, but in Drew's freestyle is my all-time favorite dance from the show so I got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;3403037;
    That's pretty cool - no wonder you're a fan and I'm sure I would be, too. I don't remember Jerry getting criticized too much by the judges - I thought he did very well. I remember thinking at the beginning of that season that Drew and Stacey had too much experience to be on DWTS, but in Drew's freestyle is my all-time favorite dance from the show so I got over it.
    Well, season 2 was my first season watching and it was a while ago, but I sort of remember that Jerry, although he wasn't ripped apart by any means, wasn't gushed over like Emmitt, Jason and Warren were, and mostly got 7's and later in the competition, 8's. He didn't get 9's until the final, but Drew and Stacy were routinely getting 10's by that point. Bear in mind also that the scoring system was using ordinals back then, so while Jerry probably pulled the highest amount of fan votes, he was third in the judges' scoring of the final three. Drew won because he was first in judges' and probably second in fans'. In fact, after Stacy was eliminated in third, Drew knew he had won, based on the scoring system, which may be why they changed it. And now I'm embarrassed that I remember this much!

I agree, that "Save a Horse" is the standard by which all freestyles will be measured, and none have come close yet, IMO!

OMGoodness - can't believe how much detail you remember! So maybe LT can bring it up, then, since Jerry did. Sounds like the scoring system is greatly improved - I never paid that much attention and I don't always vote. At least with DWTS you can dance online, though, so that helps. Anyway, you've convinced me - perhaps LT can improve and so I go back to saying he needs to ease up and show us he can have fun. Given how far Ty has come, it is possible.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3403040;
    Well, season 2 was my first season watching and it was a while ago, but I sort of remember that Jerry, although he wasn't ripped apart by any means, wasn't gushed over like Emmitt, Jason and Warren were, and mostly got 7's and later in the competition, 8's. He didn't get 9's until the final, but Drew and Stacy were routinely getting 10's by that point. Bear in mind also that the scoring system was using ordinals back then, so while Jerry probably pulled the highest amount of fan votes, he was third in the judges' scoring of the final three. Drew won because he was first in judges' and probably second in fans'. In fact, after Stacy was eliminated in third, Drew knew he had won, based on the scoring system, which may be why they changed it. And now I'm embarrassed that I remember this much!

I agree, that "Save a Horse" is the standard by which all freestyles will be measured, and none have come close yet, IMO!
    I wonder how Cheryl and Drew felt last season when Len remarked that Brooke/Derek's was the best freestyle ever. All I remember was a sea of pink, but no one can touch "Save A Horse". I adored Jerry Rice back in season 2. He wasn't the best dancer and I probably would have ranked him third overall (or even fourth, because I did like Lisa Rinna and Louis van Amstel). I hope they do Dance Center again because I love seeing him and Kenny Mayne break down the dancers. So they changed the scoring system again for season 3 (if I'm reading your post correctly). I know that for season 2, they had everyone come back and perform a brand new routine on the night of the finale, which they all got scored for and then announced who finished 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. If Stacy had been able to perform that samba for the fans votes she might have that mirror ball on her shelf at home. Everyone assumed they changed the format because of the controversy over the season 1 finale, and this gave the judges and show a little leeway to perhaps tilt the scales. I don't remember them doing any encore or new performance on the exact night of the finale for season 3. Season 4 is pretty much the format they have now, minus the whole final 3 dance off group performance. It gives me a headache thinking all of the different voting formats they've done just in the finale alone

As for LT, he did have that defeated look on his face last week and didn't seem as excited as Edyta at first when they were announced as safe. Afterwards he seemed grateful that the fans like him, but I think it might be taking a lot for Edyta to keep his spirits up. She's not the same like she's been in previous seasons. LT probably knows this may be the season footballers don't do so well, which I think is a shame. He does seem to have a lot of potential and while he isn't as charismatic as Warren and Jason I think he's got a nice down to earth personality that's fun to watch. Hopefully he can bring it in the paso. That 5 was pathetic that Len gave them

I had forgotten that Len called Brooke's freestyle the best ever, it wasn't even second best, which I would give to Kristi. Personally, as much as I usually love Derek's choreography, I was not a big fan of it, but I'm so sick of "You're the One that I Want" that may have contributed.

I hope LT can improve and at least get some 8's and a little praise before he leaves. He definitely doesn't have the charisma of Warren or Emmitt, the subtle charm and nice guy persona of Jerry, or the looks of Jason. (Just my opinion, but the only one of all of them who I thought had real dancing talent was Emmitt.) It will be interesting to see how far the NFL vote can really take him.

I had also forgotten that Len called Brooke/Derek's freestyle the best ever. Maybe he forgot about Drew/Cheryl's?

I agree, it will be interesting to see how far the NFL vote can take LT.

+ Reply to Thread