+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska - Season 8

Re: Lawrence Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska - Season 8

Great memory, Karalott - your summary made me think she's actually had some very good partners that, at the beginning of the season, were probably considered real contenders. Some actually were, and then some just never quite lived up to expectations - Cameron and Joey, as you point out. I really liked Joey, and I enjoyed watching Cameron, but he never lived up to his potentional (maybe right at the end, but by then it was too late).

One thing about Edyta, though, and in a way I think its a disadvantage for her - I find it hard to watch her partner when she's dancing. She is so stunningly gorgeous, and that body of hers is the envy of every woman alive, so you can't help but stare at her - which means you aren't even watching her partner. I'm usually thinking, 'dam% I wish I looked like that, and I'm sure my husband wishes that, too!' If she wore something more than bandaids, it might actually be to her partner's advantage - that is, of course, unless her partner is George Hamilton.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;3383016;
    Great memory, Karalott - your summary made me think she's actually had some very good partners that, at the beginning of the season, were probably considered real contenders. Some actually were, and then some just never quite lived up to expectations - Cameron and Joey, as you point out. I really liked Joey, and I enjoyed watching Cameron, but he never lived up to his potentional (maybe right at the end, but by then it was too late).

One thing about Edyta, though, and in a way I think its a disadvantage for her - I find it hard to watch her partner when she's dancing. She is so stunningly gorgeous, and that body of hers is the envy of every woman alive, so you can't help but stare at her - which means you aren't even watching her partner. I'm usually thinking, 'dam% I wish I looked like that, and I'm sure my husband wishes that, too!' If she wore something more than bandaids, it might actually be to her partner's advantage - that is, of course, unless her partner is George Hamilton.
    Considering George purposely dropped his pants during the rehearsal for the group VW waltz I think it was more poor Edyta trying to keep herself together rather than George being in jaw dropping awe at her drapes, leg warmers, and body. But you bring up a good point. I know if I got that close to Maks, Tony, or Alec I'd probably faint and good luck with remembering my routine.

I've seen this argument raised before with Edyta (among others pros) about how well she's done and why people think she gets good partners vs not getting good partners. But it all goes back to getting the contender who can win it. She finished 5th/6th with Evander, 5th/10th with George, 3rd/11th with Joey, 6th/11th with John, 5th/12th with Cameron, 2nd/12th with Jason, and 13th/13th with Jeffrey. She actually lucked out in season 4 because Vincent Pastore was her original partner but dropped out. I doubt she would have made it as far with him as she did with John. Her and John weren't going to win and both knew it, but their routines were some of my all time favorites mostly because of the good chemistry and fun little moves they put into them (I still remember Bruno saying they had the best bad samba he had ever seen). Cameron was definitely one of her best partners but in the end couldn't match up to Jennie and Mel B dance wise, Marie famous last name wise, and Helio fun loving charming personality wise (plus he was with Julianne).

I still can't believe how much detail you remember about this show, Karalott! I've watched every season, but clearly I need to pay more attention!

I don't think I explained myself very well, though, because the disadvantage (if you can call it that) I was thinking of about the way Edyta looks is that the audience may not remember her partners' dances very well because they're too busy watching Edyta. The same could be said of Karina - they both wear very skimpy costumes and have the bodies for it, but I find myself somewhat distracted by all that skin and perhaps others do too! I think that puts the focus on them instead of their partners.

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;3383103;
    I still can't believe how much detail you remember about this show, Karalott! I've watched every season, but clearly I need to pay more attention!

I don't think I explained myself very well, though, because the disadvantage (if you can call it that) I was thinking of about the way Edyta looks is that the audience may not remember her partners' dances very well because they're too busy watching Edyta. The same could be said of Karina - they both wear very skimpy costumes and have the bodies for it, but I find myself somewhat distracted by all that skin and perhaps others do too! I think that puts the focus on them instead of their partners.
    I guess it's a disadvantage and also another issue I've seen brought up once in awhile from viewers in regards to the pro-when the pro dances around their celeb and makes the dance more about them than about the star, which is basically what the show is supposed to be about. I think if a pro has a bad star they do that to try and hide what they're not getting, which is a good strategy. In that example you provide I guess I'm guilty because of my favorite pro has a celeb that bores me I tend to watch the pro more than the star. I'll use Maks since he's my best example, but I loved him and Mel B and can remember many of their routines. Edyta I can remember a bunch with Jason and John but not so much with the others. So I guess you're right because someone as gorgeous and wearing next to nothing as Edyta may have people paying more attention to her than her partner. I look on with envy at wishing I had a body like that.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3383113;
    I guess it's a disadvantage and also another issue I've seen brought up once in awhile from viewers in regards to the pro-when the pro dances around their celeb and makes the dance more about them than about the star, which is basically what the show is supposed to be about. I think if a pro has a bad star they do that to try and hide what they're not getting, which is a good strategy. In that example you provide I guess I'm guilty because of my favorite pro has a celeb that bores me I tend to watch the pro more than the star. I'll use Maks since he's my best example, but I loved him and Mel B and can remember many of their routines. Edyta I can remember a bunch with Jason and John but not so much with the others. So I guess you're right because someone as gorgeous and wearing next to nothing as Edyta may have people paying more attention to her than her partner. I look on with envy at wishing I had a body like that.
    Exactly! Sometimes its a good distraction from a star that doesn't have alot of talent, but LT probably has some potential and yet I found I was watching Edyta the whole time. She wears some pretty unique costumes - sometimes I'm just trying to figure out how they stay on!

I love Edyta, she is a such a sweetheart, but I don't really think she is much of a teacher. If she is lucky enough to get a partner with some rhythm and some charisma, she does okay, but if not, she really can't pull it off.
    Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

FORT Fogey

I would have liked to see Edyta paired with that Gilles guy. They would have been so hot together that the curtains would have caught on fire. Of course, Cheryl makes a great partner for him, too. I just think Cheryl as a strong choreographer would have gotten a better performance from Lawrence Taylor. Look what she did for Emmitt Smith.

FORT Fanatic

I agree about Edyta appearing to be a sweetie, and having an astonishing body and very tiny costumes that stay on only by a miracle, but I think it's also true that she doesn't seem to be much of a teacher and doesn't always know how to showcase her celebrity instead of herself.

That said, LT has some talent, and he made a BIG improvement in his quickstep! I didn't think he would be able to do anywhere near that well in that dance, I admit.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by boxhill;3385112;
    I agree about Edyta appearing to be a sweetie, and having an astonishing body and very tiny costumes that stay on only by a miracle, but I think it's also true that she doesn't seem to be much of a teacher and doesn't always know how to showcase her celebrity instead of herself.

That said, LT has some talent, and he made a BIG improvement in his quickstep! I didn't think he would be able to do anywhere near that well in that dance, I admit.

I watched her the first night with her hair down and in loose, wild curls. She was bubbling and excited, and she was standing there in a gorgeous costume that was still decent and feminine yet revealed that (as you call it) "astonishing" body. The thought occurred to me that at that moment in time she must have been pretty close to what the original Eve looked like!!
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

LT has proven to be another surprise! With the rehearsal footage he at least seems to be taking it seriously and giving it his all. Of all the couples he doesn't seem to be getting as much fanfare but I think he's a lot of fun to watch, and will only keep improving. I don't know if I see the final 3 for another NFLer but I think he could go far. I'm happy for Edyta

+ Reply to Thread