Closed Thread
Page 54 of 375 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani - Season 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by tmpray;3388628;
    I would love to see a more level playing field as well. I honestly don't know how they would ever accomplish this though and continue each season.

When I read the remark made by Tom in Season 2 about DWTS being an entertainment show, I immediately could see that it would be difficult for the producers to hire 13 Belindas, Steves, and Tys and expect to keep the attention of 22 million viewers. Even if they threw in an occasional Gilles who has no dance background, the playing field would still not be level! The winner would become obvious the first night, and there would be no reason to watch the rest of the season.

I strongly suspect that the producers know what they need to do to have a winning show and to have high ratings, and they are going to do it whether it keeps everyone happy or not.

If the criticism becomes too loud, the reminder will simply be made that we see the rehearsal spots where each of the stars, including the ones like Melissa with some other kind of prior dance experience, tell us how difficult it is to adjust to or learn the ballroom dance moves. The producers will then have covered that angle as well.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by HillCntryGrl;3388634;
    Melissa and Tony are dancing the Foxtrot this week. Instead of debating whether or not she (or anyone,for that matter) belongs on DWTS, whether she has too much spray tan, her teeth are too white, she's too cute or too smiley, she's in it for fame, money, revenge, etc. etc., let's shift gears. Can someone with a dance background give those of us with none, a lesson on what the judges might be looking for with this dance? Melissa herself said she had no idea what the foxtrot is and neither do I! How 'bout it? Any takers? For me, it might make Monday's show more interesting to watch.

The foxtrot is a very smooth dance

There should be no jerkiness

Lots of forward or backward moving patterns which are straight and well aligned

The timing is everything. It needs to be: slow, quick, quick, slow.

Distinctive moves:
    The Weave - is six quick steps in a row, all on the toes.

The Feather Step - when the man steps outside the girl.

zig zag patterns that the dancers create on the floor.

Couples can break the "hold" allowing more open movements, including under arm turns.
    Last edited by tmpray; 03-20-2009 at 06:38 PM.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by illusions;3388513;
    I saw your "study" somewhere and now I can't find it. It was interesting that you took out some of the negative posts and included the "rollover" from TB in coming up with your prediction for Melissa. Early surveys are one thing, but Melissa and Tony need to keep improving each week so it will be legit with no question about it. Well, there will always be questions.
    I apologize for calling this a "study" because that makes it sound more important than it is......but I sometimes get hooked on things and this is no different.
    I spent the day canvassing the web for all of the fan preference surveys and combining them in a mathematical calculation with the judges scores in an attempt to reproduce the ABC numbers that we don't see.
    From the numbers, Belinda getting voted off first was a complete no brainer - her composite score was 30% lower than anyone else.
    Next to go is a dead heat between DAG, LT and Woz. Of this sub-group, Woz is the worst dancer but has the most fan support. DAG is the better dancer but has the least fan support.
    Close behind are Steve-O (who could go earlier if his back doesn't get better), Holly and Denise. Honestly, based purely on the numbers. Lil' Kim is in this group too - I know she's a better dancer but her fan support in the polls is near Belinda.
    Chuck and Ty are in the next group - neither a really strong contestant but they'll be around for a while because of the overall weak competition.
    No surprise, the math supports Shawn, Giles and Melissa in the finals. I thought that Giles and Mel were the clear favorites for F2 but I found one data rich poll in which Shawn was 4 to 1 over Mel and 8 to 1 over Giles, so now I'm not so sure.
    Overall, Melissa is the winner by a safe margin according to the formula. This is not my opinion; it's what the numbers reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by tmpray;3388640;
    The foxtrot is a very smooth dance

There should be no jerkiness

Lots of forward or backward moving patterns which are straight and well aligned

The timing is everything. It needs to be: slow, quick, quick, slow.

Distinctive moves:
    The Weave - is six quick steps in a row, all on the toes.

The Feather Step - when the man steps outside the girl.

zig zag patterns that the dancers create on the floor.

Couples can break the "hold" allowing more open movements, including under arm turns.
    Sounds like an interesting dance. I have no idea what almost all of the ballroom dances are so this is cool this year seeing what they all are becuase this is the first year I've watched it. (I was pulled in because I watched Melissa on the bachelor-which I'm sure a lot of other people were too)
    I think I've got Kiptynitis

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3388596;
    After nearly two weeks of intense controversy over whether it is fair that Melissa with her childhood ballet and 2 year DCC experience (along with others from the past 7 seasons with any dance training/experience) should be allowed to dance on DWTS, Tom Bergeron, the Host, in the following call in conversation with Billy Bush and one of his producers made the following statements regarding the position of ABC and the producers:

Tom: I don't disagree that some things can be transported into another discipline, but I would go back to the same point: So what? We never have said that that would preclude you from being part of the show.

Michelle: But then how do you level the playing field with the ones that have, like a Kristi Yamaguchi, like a Shawn Johnson, and then you have Steve-O and Steve Wozniak, and you know they've never stepped on a dance floor?

Tom: But your presumption is that we give a dam n about a level playiing field. We don't.

That conversation and statement made basically by Tom as the spokesperson for DWTS essentially stopped probably 2/3 of the discussion about Melissa on the ABC board. However, there are still extremely strong fan groups for both Shawn and Gilles who both believe their contestants are going to win the trophy.
    Melissa is most definitely not a shoo-in on the mother board. She is going to have dance well, overcome very strong bias, overcome the sweetheart and Olympic appeal of Shawn, and even harder, she is going to have to overcome the tendency of drooling women who make up the majority of voters to vote for a sexy man if she is to win the trophy.
    I don't think it is impossible, but I think it is going to be difficult.
    From the stated Tom B quote,,,imo they will take whoever they want to the end that will give them the ratings and bring in the $. If they think they have a gold mine now with Melissa, she most likely is the scripted winner and will walk away with the beautiful disco trophy. Before Melissa arrived it appears maybe they were scripting for Gilles or Shawn. I personally never have watched this show and only watching now as one of the contestants is from our hometown, does not appear that contestant is destined to be the final prize for DWTS since learned dancing is not a requirement this season, that prize will go to the skilled dancer Melissa.

I am sure this has been asked before, but does the Pro (Tony in this case) get to select the music or does ABC make that decision. I have seen a previous DWTS show were it looked like couples were presented with their music. If that is the case, that would certainly may prove to be a disadvantage for some partners if they can't choose their own music and the the choreography was more of a challenge. Does anyone know how that all works?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;3388678;
    I am sure this has been asked before, but does the Pro (Tony in this case) get to select the music or does ABC make that decision. I have seen a previous DWTS show were it looked like couples were presented with their music. If that is the case, that would certainly may prove to be a disadvantage for some partners if they can't choose their own music and the the choreography was more of a challenge. Does anyone know how that all works?
    In the beginning of each season I've heard the pros each come up with a list of music they want to use. The show gets permission to use them, but for each dance, I don't think they get to pick what they want. It sounds like they might get one selection or a few to choose from, but basically the producers pick what they dance to.

Of course the band tends to butcher the songs which is also a disadvantage for the couples. There's definitely been some strange song choices for all the dances over the seasons.

FORT Fanatic

Everyone talks about level playing field, but I think that would be absolutely impossible.... I mean the show has to have some people who are going to be decent from the very beginning otherwise the show would be unwatchable. Besides it's not like the contestants are really getting anything if they win. There is no monetary prize, no big contract, just a cheezy mirror ball trophy....

I get that for the pros winning is important and I think they should trade off good and bad partners myself. But that's here or there. I think it would be cool though to have a competition with all ringers and see what happens.

One thing Tom said was that he was happy for Tony.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc;3388716;
    One thing Tom said was that he was happy for Tony.
    Tony looks like he is having a blast this season and it is so heartwarming to see him enjoying it so much. I think he realizes the opportunity he has and is going to work himself (and Melissa) that much harder. I look forward to seeing the rest of their dances.

Quote Originally Posted by catzy;3388725;
    Tony looks like he is having a blast this season and it is so heartwarming to see him enjoying it so much. I think he realizes the opportunity he has and is going to work himself (and Melissa) that much harder. I look forward to seeing the rest of their dances.
    I hope they make it to the jive and freestyle. Those are 2 dances I really want to see them do.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 03-21-2009 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Abbreviated Lingo

Closed Thread