Closed Thread
Page 52 of 375 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani - Season 8

Re: Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by mommyof2poodles;3387965;
    My husband and son both think she is what a very large proportion of men dream of but will not get.

This is just food for thought......my mother was beautiful and I mean Melissa beautiful. She passed away about four years ago. She had her share of boyfriends but didn't date a lot. My father was always told that he definitely married up. At her visitation, the night before her funeral, many of her High School friends were there and some of the men told me they always thought my mother was so pretty and they would have loved to date her. I asked them why the didn't, they said they were afraid to ask her because girls as pretty as her didn't date guys like them. I told them I guess that was good for my dad. I asked him about what they had said and he laughed and told me he was afraid too, but he did it anyway and was shocked when she said yes......the rest is history.

I've read FORT for a long time now and signed up a month ago. Your post... I had to reply to (my first post). I am a Melissa fan for the same reasons, but I can understand how what I see as adorable can be irritating to others. I just wish that those who can not stand her would take those goggles off, for just a moment, and see what those of us who do love her see when she dances. Forget about The Bachelor... just watch her on this show and she shines. I enjoy watching her dance and the enthusiam she has while she dances. Isn't that what this show is about?

As for the critics out there who say she isn't a celebrity... neither was Trista if you hold her to the same measure. Trista did not do so well, but she had plenty of dance experience. Just watch Melissa and appreciate what she brings to the dance floor each week without the cloud of The Bachelor over her head.

My father, who passed away seven years ago and was a WWII era vet and a Jitter-Bugger, always said my mother was the best dancer on the floor. Love of dancing doesn't mean you have to the best yourself or even a good critic of dancing. You just have to love it, and I'm loving Melissa.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3387760;
    It seems to me that most of the argument is about this perception that Melissa is pretty and bubbly and can dance therefore she must be liked otherwise it's just jealousy because what else could it be when she's so pretty and bubbly and can dance so well?

I don't accept the jealousy argument here. It's overreaching where there's no need to overreach. Melissa is simply this annoying famewhore, going on her 3rd reality show now - actually 4th because she was on two seasons of Making the Team - who pretended to be dumped by her loser showmance on TV for ratings. She put on a good show in the loser limo and is now getting paid for her trouble. And I am sick of her because she's been on my screen for months now and now she's staring back at me from all the cheap tabloids at the checkout counter too. Simple, really. So what if she can dance? Plenty of stupid, fame seeking, opportunistic people can bake a mean cake or win a race or act in a movie or, lo and behold, even dance. Just because they're on TV and can do something, that doesn't mean that people need to fall at their feet and bow in admiration. Whatever the hell for??
    Thank you for saying that MsFroggy.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyof2poodles;3387767;
    I have to disagree with this, respectfully of course, but my opinion is totally opposite.
    That is the good thing about this board is that we can have differing opinions and we each should be respected for them. Your cup of tea will in all likeliness not be mine but that should be okay.

FORT Fan

I have watched DWTS for several seasons. Apolo got me addicted.

I have never heard of Ty Murray, Steve-O, Belinda Carlisle, Gilles (I don't even know his last name now), Holly Madison, Lawrence Taylor (and I'm a huge football fan), David Allen Grier or Steve Wozhisname (hubby knew who he is but he is a 'puter geek)

I have heard of Denise (as once been married to Charlie Sheen), Lil Kim from hearing about her when she went to prison (I had never heard of her before that), Shawn from the Olympics and Chuck and Julianne (can't distinquish which one is the star there).

I got sucked into the Bacherlor this year (I had never watched it before) so not only did I know who Melissa is, she was fresh on my mind. ABC was very smart to bring her on. I don't think they even had a clue how good it would be for Tony

As much as I love to watch Melissa and Tony - are they the only reason I watch the show? Of course not. I'm a long time DWTS fan and I love to watch it even if I've never heard of most of the contestants. Like Tom B says, it is all about entertainment.

We're closing this thread for the time being. Any time you make the subject of the conversation be other posters rather than the show contestants, you're in violation of our rules. No more psychoanalyzing your fellow FORTers, if you please. No more "I don't get the hate" posts. We are not a Melissa fan site. And please, we don't need any more Bachelor rehashings.

The mods will discuss when to reopen the thread.

Edit: opening thread, please play nice.
    Last edited by The Mod Team; 03-20-2009 at 02:24 AM.

I rewatched the "replay" show and there is is no doubt that Melissa and an extremely talented dancer. She and Tony did a complicated Salsa routine with the arm crossover and additional leg action and Melissa did not miss a beat. In fact, I am reconsidering my earlier post and now think she deserved all 9's along with Gilles and Cheryl. Tony and Melissa matched their performance if not exceeding Gilles/Cheryl. This is not to say that Gilles and Cheryl did not deserve their 9's but their dance was not as intricate as Melissa and Tony's. So I want to see a rematch on Monday. Bring it on Mel and Tony - can wait to see your Foxtrot!

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by catzy;3388136;
    I have watched DWTS for several seasons. Apolo got me addicted.

I have never heard of Ty Murray, Steve-O, Belinda Carlisle, Gilles (I don't even know his last name now), Holly Madison, Lawrence Taylor (and I'm a huge football fan), David Allen Grier or Steve Wozhisname (hubby knew who he is but he is a 'puter geek)

I have heard of Denise (as once been married to Charlie Sheen), Lil Kim from hearing about her when she went to prison (I had never heard of her before that), Shawn from the Olympics and Chuck and Julianne (can't distinquish which one is the star there).

I got sucked into the Bacherlor this year (I had never watched it before) so not only did I know who Melissa is, she was fresh on my mind. ABC was very smart to bring her on. I don't think they even had a clue how good it would be for Tony

As much as I love to watch Melissa and Tony - are they the only reason I watch the show? Of course not. I'm a long time DWTS fan and I love to watch it even if I've never heard of most of the contestants. Like Tom B says, it is all about entertainment.
    I've been doing this study in which I try to predict the order of elimination based on the judges' scores and fan interest, as quantified by posts in contestants' threads and various polls on the Internet.
    As an aside, I loved your post because it was candid and funny, but I think you may be a little behind on your pop culture references because some of these people, while clearly not A-list celebrities, are nevertheless a very big deal at what they do. Lawrence Taylor is perhaps the greatest NFL defensive player of all time - a career on a par with Joe Montana or OJ Simpson (pre-double murder). Ty Murray is unquestionably the biggest rodeo star of all time, the Michael Jordan of rodeo. Belinda Carlisle was the lead singer of the most successful girl band ever (the Go-Go's).
    Anyway, Americans have short memories because what I'm finding is that almost any survey you look at has Melissa as the favorite. The transfer of fan support from the Bachelor has been huge. Some folks resent the "free pass" she got to fame, and others (like me) were just too immersed in the Bachelor and got tired of her, but there's no denying that she's the odds on favorite to win this whole deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3388438;
    I've been doing this study in which I try to predict the order of elimination based on the judges' scores and fan interest, as quantified by posts in contestants' threads and various polls on the Internet.
    As an aside, I loved your post because it was candid and funny, but I think you may be a little behind on your pop culture references because some of these people, while clearly not A-list celebrities, are nevertheless a very big deal at what they do. Lawrence Taylor is perhaps the greatest NFL defensive player of all time - a career on a par with Joe Montana or OJ Simpson (pre-double murder). Ty Murray is unquestionably the biggest rodeo star of all time, the Michael Jordan of rodeo. Belinda Carlisle was the lead singer of the most successful girl band ever (the Go-Go's).
    Anyway, Americans have short memories because what I'm finding is that almost any survey you look at has Melissa as the favorite. The transfer of fan support from the Bachelor has been huge. Some folks resent the "free pass" she got to fame, and others (like me) were just too immersed in the Bachelor and got tired of her, but there's no denying that she's the odds on favorite to win this whole deal.
    I too must be a little behind my pop culture. But that's ok. I was a big Bachelor fan and I loved Melissa! I was also a BIG Trista fan (yes including her baby talking). But guess what? I didn't vote for her cuz she couldn't dance.

I have never watched a single Sex in the City episode or the movie, and didn't know who the heck Giles was. But I'm voting for him as well as Melissa because why? THEY CAN DANCE!

Yes the above mentioned may be legends in their own world having been a HUGE GO-GO fan, but didn't not vote for her cuz she wasn't good - sorry to say. Are all these people "Stars" - perhaps in some minds! JMO.

but there's no denying that she's the odds on favorite to win this whole deal.
    Many people were saying they were going to vote for Melissa as soon as it was announced that she was going to be on the show - before the show started - before they saw her dance. Hmmmm. That being the case, she could save a lot of time and energy by just showing up and standing still on the dance floor with a wilted rose, and bask in the "Go Melissa!" cheers (on and offline). I still say she's a famewhore and her dancing ain't all that.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3388438;

I saw your "study" somewhere and now I can't find it. It was interesting that you took out some of the negative posts and included the "rollover" from TB in coming up with your prediction for Melissa. Early surveys are one thing, but Melissa and Tony need to keep improving each week so it will be legit with no question about it. Well, there will always be questions.
    I'm only here for the entertainment.

Closed Thread