+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 10/28 Show Discussion **spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/28 Show Discussion **spoilers**

While I would not try to diminish Michael Flatley's accomplishments in dance for a moment, I was not really impressed with him as a DWTS judge. To me, he brought to the show what Paula Abdul brings to AI -- nothing but happy thoughts and encouragement. He seemed to be judging more from the standpoint of most viewers -- what he liked in a dance, rather than the technicalities of that specific ballroom dance. I personally think it would have been much more interesting if they'd invited one of the pros who has participated on DWTS to be the fill-in judge. If they'd had someone like Maks, Jonathan, Anna, or Edyta judging, I think it would have brought a very interesting element to the show. For starters, they'd know the expectations of each dance better than Flatley. They'd also have a better understanding of THIS competition than even Bruno and Carrie Ann. And the role reversal of knowing what it's like to be judged, and then having to be the one judging would have been very fun to see.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I'm with you, Veruka. Brooke and Derek did not deserve a 10 for that particular dance (though I think if she hadn't been injured, she could've done well enough to earn a 10).

I was actually a little shocked when they scored the little kids. I always assumed that they agreed that one of the 3 judges would give his/her vote to the "losing" couple so that the little kids don't feel bad. I think they definitely picked the right couple--but I felt bad for the pair that didn't even get one vote. I wouldn't have minded if they were adult competitors--I've just got a soft spot for little kids.

I watch this show purely for entertainment. I don't see it as a true dance competition. It's a popularity vote. That said, Cloris has been one of the few entertaining ones, for me, at least. Warren also entertains because he seems to really enjoy what he's doing and makes me want to get up and dance. Does the best technical dancer always win? No, not by a long shot. But, does the best singer always win on AI? No, not by a long shot.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

For the hip hop number, is this the first time they've recycled a song previously used on another season of DWTS? I know that song was used for Mario and Karina's freestyle in season 3.

I also agree that I thought a 10 was a little generous for Brooke/Derek's dance. I don't think Len would have given them that score. But I think from here to the end they'll get at least one 10 for their dances or a perfect score. Michael Flatley was a fill in, and hopefully this is the one and only time they need a fill in or they get him to sub. He's no Len, and while CA and Bruno seemed to want to play attack dog, they aren't either. So I think he probably thought what the heck and just showered everyone with praise. I would have loved for them to have gotten a former pro to come back and judge. That would have been interesting.

FORT Regular

OOOH! A Pro (Maks, Karina, Mark...) as guest judge--I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3225876;
    For the hip hop number, is this the first time they've recycled a song previously used on another season of DWTS? I know that song was used for Mario and Karina's freestyle in season 3.

I also agree that I thought a 10 was a little generous for Brooke/Derek's dance. I don't think Len would have given them that score. But I think from here to the end they'll get at least one 10 for their dances or a perfect score. Michael Flatley was a fill in, and hopefully this is the one and only time they need a fill in or they get him to sub. He's no Len, and while CA and Bruno seemed to want to play attack dog, they aren't either. So I think he probably thought what the heck and just showered everyone with praise. I would have loved for them to have gotten a former pro to come back and judge. That would have been interesting.
    I like that idea if another judge needs to take a hiatus. It should be someone who was not cast in the season they were asked to judge. I would like to see Jonathan Roberts get a shot. He wrote a column for last season's competition on another website, and I really liked his insight. He is very well spoken and his critical commentary was excellent.

BTW - I wonder where Len went? They said he was on vacation. I hope the reason for his absence wasn't another medical issue. We've had too many of those this year. I really like Len as a judge. He adds a lot to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad;3226364;
    I like that idea if another judge needs to take a hiatus. It should be someone who was not cast in the season they were asked to judge. I would like to see Jonathan Roberts get a shot. He wrote a column for last season's competition on another website, and I really liked his insight. He is very well spoken and his critical commentary was excellent.

BTW - I wonder where Len went? They said he was on vacation. I hope the reason for his absence wasn't another medical issue. We've had too many of those this year. I really like Len as a judge. He adds a lot to the show.

From what Tom said before Len left last week, it seems that he splits his time between England and US. This was an opportunity for himn to stay back there the entire week and not have to jump on a plane midstream. He is my fave of the 3 judges, as I respect his background in ballroom and his worthwhile comments to the stars.

FORT Fanatic

I definitely agree that Flatley, although I liked him a lot, is no substitute for Len, who is the best judge.

I wish they would get rid of Carrie Ann. I think she does more than anyone else to encourage bad dancers to stay, and mostly makes vague statements about attitude rather than specific suggestions about technique. (Except, of course, for her obsession with lifts.)

And I really, really, I mean REALLY hate that over the head chair dancing thing she does! It is SO lame!!

Yep, I enjoyed Flatley as a judge (and I've ALWAYS enjoyed his dancing). I wouldn't mind seeing him come back occasionally to judge (and, yes, I also agree that the 10 he gave Brooke and Derek was a bit much).

For him to come in and be a Grade-A a****** DEFINITELY wouldn't've served any good purpose for anyone. So, I really liked how he tried to be encouraging and diplomatic in his role as a guest judge on the show, while at the same time, tried to be honest about what he, as a dancer AND judge, had just viewed.

I sure wouldn't have wanted to be in his seat.

But Len . . .

Well, Len is pretty much close to irreplaceable, I think. NOBODY does resident elder statesman/curmudgeon like he does. He clearly knows what he's talking about. And he DEFINITELY isn't afraid to call a couple out when he feels they weren't up to snuff in what they were doing, or were trying to put one over on everybody in terms of what a proper ballroom dance is supposed to be (Lancey, anybody?).

Sure, I've had my times when I've screamed and thrown something at the screen after he's made a comment or stated an observation that I think is off the wall. But, then again, I don't think any judge has been right ALL the time. And I've never always agreed with any of the judges' commentary ALL the time, either.

Hope Len had a good vacation, and I'm glad he'll be back next week!
    Last edited by ness; 10-31-2008 at 10:48 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Ah too bad Chloris had to go but at least we are saved now from all those people nagging about her.
    Hope we get Corky back next year. He had some great choreography's.

Too bad it wasn't Susan that had to leave. I find her dance so boring and so stiff.

I liked the new judge but just as a human being, not his judging. Glad to have Lenn back

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567