+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloris Leachman - Season 7

Re: Cloris Leachman - Season 7

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie;3185089;
    Exactly! I don't expect Cloris to dance like she's in her 20's or 30's, but I'll bet that she can compete with someone in their 50's or 60's. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    That may very well be true, but who on this season's show is in their 50s or 60s?

Sorry, but I just can't see this as anything but stunt casting.
    Last edited by freethinker; 09-02-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    Love lives forever <3

Isn't ALL the casting of this show just STUNT casting?

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3186240;
    Isn't ALL the casting of this show just STUNT casting?
    No, I don't think it is.
    Love lives forever <3

Where's Mark? Is he taking this season off?
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

Quote Originally Posted by astrotronix;3186335;
    Where's Mark? Is he taking this season off?
    Do you mean Mark Ballas? If so, he's paired with Kim Kardashian.
    Love lives forever <3

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freethinker;3186231;
    That may very well be true, but who on this season's show is in their 50s or 60s?

Sorry, but I just can't see this as anything but stunt casting.
    Len Goodman & Susan Lucci are both in their 60's.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by freethinker;3186341;
    Do you mean Mark Ballas? If so, he's paired with Kim Kardashian.
    Yeah thanks
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie;3185537;
    Ageism is also stereotyping someone based upon their age. And, I don't think that the comments that have been made here are full on ageism. However, I DO think if Cloris were 72 instead of 82, people might not be as quick to worry about her breaking a hip, etc. People have physical ages as well as chronological ages. I'm thinking that Cloris' PHYSICAL age is less than 82.

We'll be able to tell from the first show whether she's up for the challenge or not. Either way - signing on for this show took guts.

Her physical age may be less than 82, however that has nothing to do with the danger of breaking a hip, etc. It just flat out would be foolhearty to do the same moves with her as with someone decades younger. imo, Cloris is the "disabled" pick for the season. This is not ageism this is being realistic from a medical standpoint. Does this mean she won't be entertaining to many, absolutely not, imo.

Also, if one single thing would make that "physical" age drop through the floor it would be a hip injury. Anyone who has even known an older person who has broken a hip can attest to this.

To quote Lost's John Locke, "Don't tell me what I can't do." I whole-heartedly believe in personal choice. If Cloris Leachman chooses to take whatever risks, if any, she may face, it's up to her. I would strongly suspect that her physical condition was carefully checked before she was cast. If she can't handle it, she won't last long. I'm eager to see her try and she certainly seems to be generating interest. There are many stories we see and hear of octagenarians sky diving, mountain climbing, flying planes, and doing activities we would think impossible or foolhardy at that age.

As of now, the only one I've heard of having suffered an injury is Kim Kardashian. Last season, the professional and very young Derek Hough was the one who was injured and had to miss at least one week of competition.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Who is John Galt?

And, don't forget the torn bicep muscle suffered by Christian last season. I've read all the responses to Cloris' age and agree and disagree. IMO:
    1. 82 is NOT 60 (or even 70) it is 80+. Regardless of whether you are a very very fit 80 year old, your bones, ligaments, muscles, etc. have aged and are not as strong and durable as they were in one's younger years. All of one's internal organs also age.
    2. I've read that Phyllis is very fit and does pilates every day. Pilates will improve her muscle tone and flexibility, they do not have as much effect on cardio conditioning. Many of these dances, especially the jive and the quickstep take a lot of stamina. I'd hate to see her have a heart attack in the middle of one of the faster dances. That is a big risk at her age!
    3. I am also concerned about the judges making allowances for her age and judging her accordingly. That would make it unfair to the other contestants. They haven't done that for the 50 and 60+ people, they shouldn't for her. They didn't make too many allowances for the Heathers lack of a leg or Marlee's lack of hearing. So, hopefullly, this will be a moot point.
    4. She is paired with Mark's dad, Corky, who is older than the other pros and surely more aware of her special needs than if she'd been paired with one of the younger guys.
    5. Aside from the obvious and/or possible age related problems, I am looking forward to watching her. She is quite a character with a quick wit and should be really interesting in the interviews.

+ Reply to Thread