+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas - Season 6

Re: Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas - Season 6

I understand the points about Kristi's background benefitting her skating, However, I believe that it is her talent that MAKES her such a terrific skater. She certainly wouldn't use that ballroom and latin dancing in her skating. She's not a dancer, she's a skater while the one girl is a Broadway performer and should also have an advantage. Kristi is also a perfectionist. There's a difference in my mind between a person who is super hard working and talented with some dance type background vs. those like Mel B who didn't have the time to practice and still performed well. jmo and yes I really like Kristi, but I don't think she crosses the line. These dances are knew to some degree. All the women probably had some type of dance training. Let's not forget that Kristi is not an ice DANCER, she is an athelete that moves to music, I'd say that it would be equivalent to a gold metal winning gymnast. They use music, but that's just window dressing for the athetic stuff. Admittedly the fact that I like Kristi does make me want to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe what she says about this being new to her.

I believe Kristi, too.

Ballet training or not, I think there's a difference between gliding over the ice in a boot bolted to a blade, as opposed to dancing on the floor in 2 (or more) inch heels.

I think her skating helps her here because she's learned to work wonderfully with her arms and hands through her skating, but I totally give it up to her for being a trooper and getting in there and learning how to maneuver (sp?) in unfamiliar dance territory, on heels, and doing it well.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I am glad Kristi is on the show also. somehow, most of the backgrounds of the celebrities contribute something to their ability to dance.
    Kristi has a good athletic background, and a wonderful work ethic - but she has to get past her shyness and pull in emotion that she does not have to in skating.
    the actors/actresss have the emotion stuff, but need to work on the movements.
    Kristi had skating and ballet at an early age because of feet problems.

I think we saw this week that she is going to have to bring in some emotions she is not comfortable with (and become the DIRTY GIRL that Bruno wants to see). So she is also having to develop - and I think it is her work ethic that will take her to the top in the end - not the abilities that she already has.

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2888557;
    I think it is her work ethic that will take her to the top in the end - not the abilities that she already has.
    Oh, yeah.

I think if not for her work ethic and willingness to learn and be led, Gold Medal Olympian or not, she might've been giving Adam a run for his money OUT of the ballroom, by now.

But then again, Olympians have to have amazing work ethics.

Otherwise, the'd never get those gold medals in the first place.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Regular

I do like Kristi. I think she is amazing on the rink and on the dance floor. I also think that Mark needs to be credited, as well. He really seems to be a good teacher.

What I would like to see is the cast more evenly balanced. Instead of half 'stinkers' and half talented stars, I'd like to see a season where the majority is one or the other. If they were all uncoordinated with no dance background, it would be nice to watch them all develop and see who could pull it off, albeit a bit boring. Or a cast where they are all fantastic and it's gut wrenching to decide who to send home. That would be exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by ABalla;2888589;
    I do like Kristi. I think she is amazing on the rink and on the dance floor. I also think that Mark needs to be credited, as well. He really seems to be a good teacher.

What I would like to see is the cast more evenly balanced. Instead of half 'stinkers' and half talented stars, I'd like to see a season where the majority is one or the other. If they were all uncoordinated with no dance background, it would be nice to watch them all develop and see who could pull it off, albeit a bit boring. Or a cast where they are all fantastic and it's gut wrenching to decide who to send home. That would be exciting!
    Sure, he does! He's great! I cracked up laughing when he put that skirt on to demonstrate for Kristi what it was that he needed her to do! But apparently, what he did worked. And watching him and Derek dance side-by-side during the pros' first dance this season was wonderful, too.

That'd be interesting, to see a cast full of star dancing virgins or stars that know their way around a dance floor.

I wonder do the producers read these boards.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;2888530;
    I understand the points about Kristi's background benefitting her skating, However, I believe that it is her talent that MAKES her such a terrific skater. She certainly wouldn't use that ballroom and latin dancing in her skating. She's not a dancer, she's a skater while the one girl is a Broadway performer and should also have an advantage. Kristi is also a perfectionist. There's a difference in my mind between a person who is super hard working and talented with some dance type background vs. those like Mel B who didn't have the time to practice and still performed well. jmo and yes I really like Kristi, but I don't think she crosses the line. These dances are knew to some degree. All the women probably had some type of dance training. Let's not forget that Kristi is not an ice DANCER, she is an athelete that moves to music, I'd say that it would be equivalent to a gold metal winning gymnast. They use music, but that's just window dressing for the athetic stuff. Admittedly the fact that I like Kristi does make me want to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe what she says about this being new to her.
    Take it from someone who was a competitive figure skater that she does have a distinct advantage. She is an amazing skater, and she is doing very well in this show but quite frankly, she really had better.

First. Any competitive skater takes all of their dances up to the gold level. The only level higher is Diamond and only those that persue the dance discipline in figure skating typically take the diamond dances. The dances she is doing, she has already learned similar holds to pass her dances. The steps are similar, but not identical. Let's be realistic here, she is very familiar with the expectations as she has had to meet them previously.

Second. She was the american champion in pairs and competed at the world level in the pairs discipline. Even to this day when she skates in shows she does perform pairs numbers. She has already learned holds, and the feeling of a partner leading them around the ice. She also has had extensive training in lifts and throws. As a singles competitor, it can be hard to deal with a partner that leads you, but as a female pairs skater you are lead extensively by your partner.

Finally to reach the level of competition she did AND win, she had to master the most important thing that the judges comment on. Hands and Feet. Look at her hands compared to the rest, and look at her feet. Her hands are always finished and her toes are pointed. If you don't have finished hands and feet when you compete in figure skating you quickly lose...thanks for coming out. The other MAJOR advantage she has over every other person is her ability to "count" the beat. You have to learn musicality and the ability to interpret the music you are skating to. She completely understands the concept of hitting "beats" when she performs as well as understanding 2/2, 2/4, 4/4, ect.

I am not detracting from how good she is but it isn't a faor competition and she should be held to a much higher standard than the rest. While they are still learning holds, counting and steps, she can focus on the finishing moves that make the difference between an OK performance and an amazing one. And she can do that because of her experience figure skating.

Kristi is by far the best of the lot, but does she have the fan base to beat handsome Jason or amazing Marlee? We'll see! Remember - Mario Lopez was also by far the best of the lot in his season, but he didn't win.

I only watch the show because of Kristi, she's awesome!

To the Point

I don't think this show is sold as being a "fair" competition. This is a competition of "stars" from other venues. There will always be some stars with more of an advantage than others. I know that Kristi has an advantage, however, I do think that there are other figure skating champs who wouldn't fair as well. Not every figure skating champion is as blessed with natural ability. Kristi is very blessed with many of the abilities that just.can't.be.taught, polished but not taught.

+ Reply to Thread