+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas - Season 6

Re: Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas - Season 6

I'll wait and see also - but one of her routines in Stars on Ice was to Santana's SMOOTH - and she did that very well.

To the Point

My bet is that Kristy still has a pretty good size fan base from her more active days in figure skating. She will also benefit to a much lesser degree from her ties to the Hurricanes. I do know folks who are die hard Canes fans who are making a concerted effort to vote for her.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;2861321;
    My bet is that Kristy still has a pretty good size fan base from her more active days in figure skating. She will also benefit to a much lesser degree from her ties to the Hurricanes. I do know folks who are die hard Canes fans who are making a concerted effort to vote for her.
    Then there are those of us who like her from her skating days, and also from the Canes perspective. I don't know if I'll bother voting though, but I was happy to see her do so well last week.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;2861751;
    Then there are those of us who like her from her skating days, and also from the Canes perspective. I don't know if I'll bother voting though, but I was happy to see her do so well last week.
    I fit into this category as well

FORT Fan

She got the large majority of my votes

I remember being glued to the TV at my parents' house when I was younger, watching her skate in the Olympics. She was so strong and graceful and talented. And I was not (I was a chronically bumbling but always trying soccer and basketball player ... and too uncoordinated to be good at either). And she was always so poised and intelligent when interviewed. So she was, I guess I could say, a heroine when I was young. I hope she wins.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnerwife;2846287;
    dancing and skating are quite different--kristi said in an interview that she has to get used to moving at every beat of the music instead of just gliding along and doing a jump or step at a certain moment of the music. she also isn't used to performing or even wearing high heels, either. anyway, all of the female stars this season seem to have some dance experience. shannon elizabeth had eight years of jazz, tap and ballet. and, for the men, mario is a hip-hop dancer. i think dwts may have been trying to make a point after some complained about sabrina last year--that dance experience other than ballroom doesn't matter when it comes to this competition. and, i just want to say, go mark!

I am not so sure if I agree on this.

Skaters all do ballet, all know how to learn a choreography quick which is a huge advantage in a show like this where they have to learn a dance in 1 week. Isn't it so that they learn the dance first on the floor and then wearing there skates? When I watch ice skating I always see them practising (dancing) without skates.
    I feel she does have an advantage over the others as we all could see the last 2 weeks.

She will probably make it to the final because it seems she also has a huge fanbase?

Yes, skaters do take ballet, but they do it mostly for arm movement and flexibility. They do not learn toe point or heel and toe movement because you can't do either in an ice boot. They practice on the floor for the same reason gymnasts practice on the floor -- safety while they are learning the spins and jumps, lifts for pairs skaters, and transitions into them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Well this does give advantage in that she knows how to hold herself. The movement of the dance. the choreography, learning of a dance.
    Look at Monica. She was definitely not in the same league. The way she was holding her arms.

Oh well, let's agree to disagree.

Hi, I'm a newcomer to the boards.

I welcome a more talented field to this show. The show would be much better if all of the contestants selected had some basic talent that translated well to the dance floor. We wouldn't have to sit through some really apalling performances. These are literally painful to watch.

Several other contestants over the years have had varying degrees of dance related experience. They have usually done well, although they haven't usually won. Athletes with good coordiination and a solid work ethic seem to have done the best overall.

I like Kristi because she posesses the above characteristics as well as being a high quality individual who is a fantastic role model.

DancingDad

+ Reply to Thread