+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Adam Carolla & Julianne Hough - Season 6

Re: Adam Carolla & Julianne Hough - Season 6

I don't watch any of the shows listed by Bearcata except, very occassionally, America's Next Top Model. Those are sensation reality shows. DWTS, Project Runway, Top Chef, So You Think You Can Dance, etc., are talent reality shows.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;2877133;

I don't watch any of the shows listed by Bearcata except, very occassionally, America's Next Top Model. Those are sensation reality shows. DWTS, Project Runway, Top Chef, So You Think You Can Dance, etc., are talent reality shows.
    I've actually never heard of any of them except America's Next Top Model, which I watched once and never will again, Flavor of Love (my knowledge of that is from TV Guide, which was enough to let me know it's definately not anything that would interest me in the least) and Celebrity Fit Club. That one I do watch when I catch it as I'm channel surfing, and yes, it's an entirely different situation from DWtS.

On a side note, is it just me or does CFC seem to be not as good as it used to be when it first came out, and for a couple of seasons after that? I'm not sure what it is, can't put my finger on it, but just seems like 'something' isn't as good.

On another note: talldede, thanks for the info.... I've never seen Paisley in a concert, so wasn't sure what to expect, although I did know he's quite popular, especially around here, and so was just glad to hear Julianne's touring with someone that'll bring in a good audience. So with your info on him, I'm starting to look forward to it, now.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2877232;
    I've actually never heard of any of them except America's Next Top Model, which I watched once and never will again, Flavor of Love
    Oh gawd. Both those shows . . .

(too late to edit my post), but wanted to say that DWTS fans/regular audiences are definitely a different genre that regular watchers of "Flavor of Love" and even "America's Next Top Model".

"Oprah", and "Maury" are both talk shows, but very different audiences.

As far as profanity, I usually watch "Hell's Kitchen", and Gordon Ramsay. I've seen "Top Chef" a few times. Of all the shows mentioned, (with the exception of "Flavor of Love") I cannot fathom a contestant saying bitch, in any context, to a judge upon getting a score/rating.

I'm a huge Julianne fan, but I don't think Adam's own popularity should be discounted either. He has a popular radio show, of which many of the listeners are teenagers, and I would hazard to guess that many teenagers were fans of The Man Show, and Loveline.
    I think he was trying to be funny when he made the comment, and may have later thought better of saying it.
    I really could see his own fans carry him past the likes of Christian, Steve, Marisa, and Marlee. Look how well Master P, and Jerry Springer did, and they may very well have the same fan base as Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by OutsideLookinIn;2869791;
    In other words, since both Penn and Adam are equally bad, it all comes down to who is the most popular pro IMO.
    That's fairly true, but Adam also has a "fan base" that's more likely to watch this show than Penn's.

Penn's fans are cynical mass-media haters who roar with laughter when he cuts on pop culture on his Bullsh@t show.

Adam, in contrast, spent years (until only 2 years ago) doing "Loveline", which was listened to compulsively by people, I think, who'd also gravitate towards this silly ol' Dancing show. And while people who know him only from "Man Show" and "Crank Yankers" might normally not cross over as fans, also consider that watchers of the Jimmy Kimmel show ARE well familiar with DWTS (because of the endless skits and crossovers) and will also be on Adam's side, because of his long-term partnership with Jimmy.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2874869;

Hey, Dude!

Love Julianne! Always have!

It's just too bad that TPTB chose Carolla for her partner, this season.
    Hey back, glad to meet a fellow Julianne lover. As for being paired with Adam, I guess ABC wanted to make 100% sure that Julianne had no chance to go all the way again. Imagine if she was paired with Cristian, who so far is doing alright, I'd think she could've taken him far. But with Adam, well that's a death sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by radar;2880268;
    I'm a huge Julianne fan, but I don't think Adam's own popularity should be discounted either. He has a popular radio show, of which many of the listeners are teenagers, and I would hazard to guess that many teenagers were fans of The Man Show, and Loveline.
    I think he was trying to be funny when he made the comment, and may have later thought better of saying it.
    I really could see his own fans carry him past the likes of Christian, Steve, Marisa, and Marlee. Look how well Master P, and Jerry Springer did, and they may very well have the same fan base as Adam.
    I'd be surprised if Adam lasted more than another week or two. I don't know how big Adam's fanbase is, but I can only see him beating out Marissa and Steve at most and just maybe Cristian. Otherwise unless Julianne's fanbase is huge and comes out voting, or Adam does a 180 and suddenly becomes somewhat good, he's gone...along with Julianne.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2874470;
    Originally, Loveline was a radio show that featured a doctor and a comedian who took calls on the air regarding relationships, sex, etc. Adam Carolla was on until 2006.

There was also a TV take-off on for a few years, but I don't believe Adam had anything to do with that. Could be wrong though.

Yes, Adam co-hosted the TV show LoveLine with Dr. Drew........I don't listen to the radio, but I know him from television.

I agree with Veruka, and if you ever watched Adam on LoveLine, you'd probably agree too ~ the remark was his way of being humorous. Granted his style isn't for everyone, and it may have not gone over well with some DWtS viewers, but I still believe his intent was not malicious so I'm cutting him some slack.

Do I wish that word wasn't allowed on TV, of course, I do.......but it is, and I hear it DAILY and on so many shows that I couldn't even begin to name them all, so.....

Besides, there have been times in my life when I said something that went over like a lead balloon.....not swearing, per sec, but times when people definitely didn't get my humor, and felt offended, so I can relate to how Adam probably felt when he realized his humor may not have seemed so humorous to the DWtS group.

Laying all this mess aside, and getting back to discussing dancing (since this is a dance show), I think the public sent the right ones home last week, and hopefully they'll keep up the good work and send Adam home this week ..........he can't dance worth a fig!

er, that's "pig" to you Nemeses!
    Last edited by Kresge; 03-31-2008 at 07:09 AM.

FORT Fogey

Adam managed to do something for Julianne last night that no other partner of hers has ever done -- he got me to vote for her. There were a couple of times her first season I would have voted for Apolo, but coudln't make myself vote for her. Last night, he got me to give 100% of my votes to them. Rather than behaving like Katarina when she had Billy Ray a couple of seasons ago, Julianne didn't pout about having a sub-part partner, but instead really worked with him to pull out the best performance she could get from him. And they did pretty good. Even if they hadn't, I would have given him 100% of my votes for the joke about what his grandfather told him about learning about a dance about pimps and prostitutes. That was comic gold.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2884991;
    Rather than behaving like Katarina when she had Billy Ray a couple of seasons ago, Julianne didn't pout about having a sub-part partner, but instead really worked with him to pull out the best performance she could get from him. And they did pretty good. Even if they hadn't, I would have given him 100% of my votes for the joke about what his grandfather told him about learning about a dance about pimps and prostitutes. That was comic gold.
    I agree, Veruka... Adam's comment was comic gold. Nice to see someone else who gets his humor. I don't get what everyone gets so bent-ouf-of-shape over with him. He's funny, he makes jokes... why do people take it so seriously?! And I think those who listen to his radio show would agree that he's actually a good and decent person. He doesn't take the Hollywood stuff seriously and he has such a rational take on things.

Anyhow, aside from all that, I really think Adam did a great job last night. He's obviously not a natural dancer, but he got all the steps right and gave a nice performance. Julianne did an excellent job working with him. I just enjoy watching that so much more than watching someone like Kristi Y. Nothing against Kristi (or Mario et al, they're super dancers), but it's so much more fun to watch the ones that aren't fabulous right off the bat, but who improve so much each week. I look forward to seeing how they improve and what the professionals can do with them.

+ Reply to Thread