+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 11/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2653845;
    ...... LeAnn Rimes performs "How Can I Live" hands down better and with more emotion than Trisha Yearwood ever did....
    I love ya, Broadway, but this is one I can't agree with you on. I was mortified listening to Rimes perform that song. After the show was over, I had to redeem myself to my ears by pulling out my DvD and watching Trisha's version of it over and over to wash out the Rimes version from my brain. (Of course, then I had to spend an hour crying, too, since that song always makes me cry But it was worth it to flush that other version out )

By the way, I'm not a fan of either Rimes or Yearwood, my preference of Yearwood's version is based on song performance only.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

I think LeAnn did a nice job singing last night.

ABC is great at the cross-promotion of their programming. They are smart to utilize their programs to advertise other programs.

Nemesis, I didn't say I wanted younger dancers, just not such a large age discrepancy. I don't care if they are all 50 - 75, just don't throw a 23 year old into that mix. As far as viewership, I doubt that they pull in much of the younger generation. There are other dance reality shows that appeal to the younger group. From my experience with the tweens and 20 somethings, they're not that interested in celebrities of their parents generation.
    Tahoe bound....

As usual, I found almost nothing funny about Kenny and his rude skit. I would rather have Jimmy and his parking garage guy,[/QUOTE]

I disagree! I thought it was funny unlike Jimmy and his lame sidekick. Sorry, just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2654143;
    Nemesis, I didn't say I wanted younger dancers, just not such a large age discrepancy. I don't care if they are all 50 - 75, just don't throw a 23 year old into that mix. As far as viewership, I doubt that they pull in much of the younger generation. ......
    Sure, I understand, skyhigh What I meant was that I don't mind having a 23 year old in the mix, no matter how old the others are. It's all fun, and not a dance contest anyway, so as long as they're all entertaining to watch, no matter how well or badly they dance, it's all good. (For me, it's the ones who come in with arrogance and a smug attitude that I dislike, whether they're 23 or 103, lol)

As for demographics, they actually pull in a large number of viewers from the 18-34 age. I don't remember the exact numbers, just remembering some of the interviews Tom has given. And there could be many reasons, not the least of which is that the show does indeed offer some of the younger generation each season. But that doesn't mean that they'll automatically be voting for that younger person, because it is still a popularity contest, and just because there are younger celebs on doesn't mean the younger viewers will automatically vote for them. Even younger viewers are capable of appreciating a good attitude and the overall entertainment factor of the show, especially those that are interested enough in ballroom dancing to tune into the show in the first place.

All in all, I think DWtS has a great formula going, and it's obviously worked well for them, and for the majority of the show viewers. Personally, I figure if an oldster knows what's in store, and knows they'll be up against younger people, no matter how young, and they still want to do it, I say good for them, and go for it! A strict dance competition, I'd say otherwise, but this isn't, so I think they have the right idea for the majority of viewers.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2654143;
    Nemesis, I didn't say I wanted younger dancers, just not such a large age discrepancy. I don't care if they are all 50 - 75, just don't throw a 23 year old into that mix. As far as viewership, I doubt that they pull in much of the younger generation. There are other dance reality shows that appeal to the younger group. From my experience with the tweens and 20 somethings, they're not that interested in celebrities of their parents generation.
    I think it makes it much easier on the fans when there's a range of talent on the show. If they're all about the same level it's much harder to see people go and the wrong people tend to go too early.

Jerry Springer and Mark Cuban were fun contestants and I liked having them on the show but I wouldn't enjoy the show if everyone was at their level.

i do not agree about the younger audience not being as tuned in as the older audience. frankly, i am in the older audience lump, but all you have to do is remember exactly how popular "so you think you can dance" is. it was consistently in the top ten and that focused on nothing but young people. so there is an audience with young and old for just the younger set to perform. everyone is there to watch for whatever special reason they have. i am there for dancing and dancing alone. i have never bought into the more popular vote thing. i do realize that it is nothing but a popular vote, i just prefer to focus on the dancing ability instead. i like to see sharp precision and great skills. i just wanted to let you know that there is an audience for a show of nothing but young people where older people will also watch and enjoy.
    ladybugbaby
    life is too short to be unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2654233;
    Personally, I figure if an oldster knows what's in store, and knows they'll be up against younger people, no matter how young, and they still want to do it, I say good for them, and go for it!
    Jerry Springer thanked people for letting him go. I don't think Wayne Newton was all that unhappy to go home either.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I'm in the older group too, I guess, and I enjoy the mix of ages on this show. The fact that so many of the older celebrities last as long as they do shows that age and ability are NOT the only factors in the minds of the viewing public. Personality and likeability weigh very heavily when determining who stays and who goes no matter what the age.

I figure that everybody knows what they are getting into when they sign up, so there is no room for complaint about the younger/older/more (or less) talented, trained, untrained or whatever, once they have signed on the dotted line. The older dancers have all accepted this with grace (with the possible exception of Jane), and I have completely enjoyed ALL of the celebs without regard to age.

Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar

WTG Cam....

It was Jane's time... You can only dance in second gear for so long... At some point you have to accelerate past 35 MPH...

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread