+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 232 FirstFirst ... 468687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106146196 ... LastLast
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3904120;
    Well, I may in the minority, but I like the entire full-time cast - all 3 judges, Tom, and Brooke (the best co-host they've had).

While Carrie Ann and Bruno aren't ballroom dancers, their input is valuable I think to the overall performance - and hence entertaiment value of the dances. Having said this, I do think that having 2 non-ballroom dancers agains only 1 ballroom dancer makes no sense at all on a ballroom dancing show.

Or....is it a ballroom show? The title is "Dancing with the Stars" - not "Ballroom Dancing with the Stars".

If it is truly about stars dancing ballroom, then they need a 4th ballroom dancing judge. I'd keep everyone else.
    The concept of the show is ballroom dancing (which is why they don't have any other styles like hip hop, jazz, funk, etc on here). They've added novelty dances every so often and did a disasterous hip hop group dance, but all of the pros are ballroom professionals (which is probably why they've usually tanked at the above). However, it's a TV show, and though CA can scare me and annoy me (I completely had to skip her critique during Nicole's performance this week), she's watercooler worthy. Not like Paula was to Idol, but her and Bruno definitely tag team Len, come up with metaphors no one can understand, CA acting like the little school girl in love with the couples she likes and like the queen bee of power with the couples she doesn't. I'd be happy to keep Len and Bruno, but I don't think she adds anything, except no criticism, the most bias and favoritism on the panel, and the annoying lift agenda. I don't think she'd be missed. It's a TV show first, and dancing is probably at the end of the list as far as priorities are concerned. When you compare performances from season 1 to season 10, there's a huge difference, to the point you'd almost think you're watching two different shows. But that's the opinion of someone who misses the old days Makes me wonder how many more seasons we'll get out of this show and if we'll ever see it try and change up the format to include other dance styles.

Sounds like the producers are hearing it about Nicole. I think Conrad explains the whole concept perfectly but also misses the point entirely:

Do experienced stars upset ‘Dancing’ balance? - Reality TV

After eight weeks and thousands of steps, Dancing With the Stars is in the homestretch with its tenth season. The final four are firmly in place: a sportscaster, a figure skater, a football player and a member of a pop band.

But the remaining contenders and especially front-runner Nicole Scherzinger arent a huge surprise once you take a closer look: Sportscaster Erin Andrews strutted her stuff on her universitys basketball dance team. Evan Lysacek regularly performs gracefully on skates as the International Skating Unions No. 1 ranked skater in the world (plus hes an Olympic gold-medal winner). And Scherzinger has been dancing with the Pussycat Dolls since they were a burlesque group in the late 90s.

Perhaps the lone surprise is Chad Ochocinco. Sure, hes a nimble football player (just like season-three winner Emmitt Smith), but hes had his struggles and fair share of lower scores on the dance floor.

Paired up as they were against actors, reality TV stars and an aging astronaut, is anyone truly surprised that the regularly athletic, lithe and coordinated stars have mostly performed better than the amateurs?

Dancing executive producer Conrad Green may be. He insists that not one of them is a ringer.

Theres definitely an advantage to have danced before, and it makes the process easier for you but the process being easier for you could become a disadvantage, he explained.

That's one of the oddities of reality television, namely that its as constructed and scripted as anything else on the small screen. A show doesnt get to be one of the top-rated shows in the country without knowing the fine art of manipulation. Many crying foul over this seasons results miss that fine distinction.

According to Green and other reality producers, audiences dont come to reality TV programs just to see good cooking, nice dancing or women fall all over themselves to capture a rose. Theyre there for a story. And someone who can step onto Dancings stage as a fully formed expert isnt necessarily someone who has a story to tell.

Look at Kate Gosselin, said Green. She wasnt a great dancer shed admit that herself. But I think loads of people felt she was a proxy for them on the show. I think they felt, This is what I would be like on a show surrounded by people who come from a showbiz background and are used to being on a stage or are used to live performance. This is a woman who had none of that. So I think the audience got behind her because of that.

They call that the persons character, or story arc, explained Marc Marcuse, president of Reel Management, an agency that places reality-show stars in roles after their program ends.

If someone goes on the show and leaves the show as the same person, its not that interesting, he said. In movies, all characters have an epiphany or change in the course of the film. On a reality show to see it for real its fascinating to watch. People want to see growth, and some of the most popular people on shows are the ones who have changed over the course of a season.

And sometimes, it may take someone with previous experience to really highlight the growth in another contestant.

You want honesty and personality
    Reality-show scripting begins with the initial casting, where agents may look for one or two cornerstone members of the final cast and then set up the participants around those personalities or talents. Often, said Green, a star who doesnt work in one seasons cast can prove ideal for a later season.

A lot of it is about getting balance and a cast thats fresh and new and interesting every time, he said. You want honesty and personality, people that are going to be lively to watch, who can articulate what theyre going through and share with the audience their frustrations. Its like trying to make a dinner party a roaring success you want to know the personalities of the people who are going to be there first.

What Dancing does not do, however, is test for dancing skills. Stars dont audition to be on the show (and most of them would probably refuse to if asked).

According to Lindsay Drucker, a Chicago-based casting freelancer who has worked on shows such as Project Runway and The Biggest Loser, the uniqueness of the show itself is a leveler of skills.

When you get all of these people together, theyre not in their element and theyre thrown into unique, challenging projects or dances. And in that sense, everyone is on a level playing field, she said. They dont know whats going to be asked of them. So whether theyre professional or amateurs, theyre all discovering as they go. Amateurs can shine, too.

Take season five of Dancing, for example. Race-car driver Helio Castroneves did well throughout the competition but really shined the last month. He ended up beating front-runner Melanie Brown of the Spice Girls for the mirror ball trophy.

Ensnaring viewers
    Even if Green and his casting experts went out and specifically looked for stars with dancing experience, they wouldnt be any different than, say, the casting directors for shows such as Top Chef, where submitted applicants are often paired up with those specifically solicited for the series.

We do a lot of cold-calling to people, said Randy Bernstein, founder and president of Casting Duo. When I go into a city for Top Chef, I get a restaurant magazine and call every single restaurant in there and ask if anyone was interested in being a part of that show, or I walk into restaurants and meet people. We are looking for people who can be themselves. Id rather have someone who doesnt want to be on a reality show, be on a reality show. Theyre not in it for the stardom.

The proof that producers know what theyre doing is in the pudding: Dancing fans were riled up enough to get involved in whether Gosselin stayed or went by voting, or whether someone with dancing experience should even be in the competition when they voiced their opinions online. Viewers have been ensnared, just as producers planned. The script works.

All of that said, noted Green, bear in mind that even though its called a reality show, Dancing is something else entirely.

It ultimately is a piece of entertainment, he said. As time goes by the gap between those who started off the season being really proficient at dance, and those who started off the season with two left feet narrows every week. In the course of our show, people have been known to grow and grow, and seem to be behind in ability but at the last minute they come through. Thats what the audience wants to see. Thats a fair competition.

From Day 1, I have felt that the PD - Nicole - was filling the ringer role that the show has had most seasons.
    The ringer, however, never seems to win.
    I still doubt very strongly that Nicole will win.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Marc Marcuse, president of Reel Management, an agency that places reality-show stars in roles after their program ends.
    AHA! This explains a lot. So I guess this means we haven't seen the last of Jake! I wonder how many agencies they have who specialize in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;3905787;
    AHA! This explains a lot. So I guess this means we haven't seen the last of Jake! I wonder how many agencies they have who specialize in this?
    Probably more than we realize

Re: Nicole. I feel like Conrad saying that the litte guys who could always finish first in the end is just an excuse as to why they cast ringers. So no problem that someone has tons of experience and doesn't really struggle, dance wise, because they won't win anyway. I interpret that as his saying people like them but won't root for them because they don't like their advantage. Kristi's probably the only official ringer to win this show, though I can't argue that good dancers have won (Drew, Apolo, Emmitt, Brooke, Shawn, and Donny-they may not have been the best their season compared to Stacy Keibler, Mario Lopez, etc, but were far from the worst). Maybe there's something in his words that Nicole won't win. Who knows, but I'm still thinking it'll happen.

Could this be what Tom B. is referring to when he says the curtain will be pulled back a bit?

Kate Gosselin joins 'ET' as 'Dancing with the Stars' correspondent - MSN TV News

Kate Gosselin joins 'ET' as 'Dancing with the Stars' correspondent
    May 17, 2010, 3:32 PM EST
    MSN Entertainment

Kate Gosselin may have gotten the boot from "Dancing With the Stars," but she sure seems to have found a way to stick around.

Aside from returning to the show's finales on May 24 and 25, Gosselin will now also serve as a "Dancing" correspondent on "Entertainment Tonight" from Monday to Wednesday.

After being voted off the show, Kate has reportedly been "moping," a source tells Us Weekly.

"She was sure she'd make it to the final four," the source says. "Kate misses the media coverage. She got used to the publicity."

Still can't get enough Kate? Her next reality show, "Kate Plus 8," premieres June 6 on TLC.

'Dancing With the Stars' Clip: Kate's Teary Exit

View more MSN videosGo to MSN TV

As long as she's only seen on ET and not DWTS, fine with me. Because I never watch ET.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Hope she can be a "reporting correspondent" better than she could "dance" and I certainly don't want to listen to her complain how difficult her life is because of the papparozzi. The papparozzi are only interested in you if you are continually in the limelight - hmmmm, what does that say for Kate? Not willing to give up the limelight, then the papparozzi will continue to hound her. She could not dance and the drama was out of control. Enough with the woe is me pity party; Kate needs to go home and be with your kids - JMHO. Not interested in listening to her comment on DWTS (is she now the dancing expert?) for ET so won't tune in.

Thankfully I never watch ET. She's delusional if she thought she'd make it to the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3906933;
    Thankfully I never watch ET. She's delusional if she thought she'd make it to the finals.
    That's hardly all she's delusional about. I never watch ET either and she'd certainly no inducement to change that.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread