+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 232 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119169 ... LastLast
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

FORT Fogey

Re: DWTS Media Thread

"According to a source at ABC, “The casting of professionals is determined by the casting of the celebrities,..."

That's the first time I heard that.

Can anyone verify this statement?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3761429;
    "According to a source at ABC, “The casting of professionals is determined by the casting of the celebrities,..."

Can anyone verify this statement?
    I've heard that. The pros will often say they won't know a week before the cast reveal whether or not they're returning-and I think it does depend on the celebs cast. In Louis's case, obviously they have to have someone height appropriate for him. That's why he missed out on season 4. Other seasons they had women his height but had other pros they were paired up with. I think the popularity of the pros comes into play as well, which is why we see some always luck out and others continually get the duds. I know they try and match on personality (perhaps for better or worse). Look at Maks, he got Laila and Mel B, who probably could have sent him cross country with one good punch. I think Denise and Debi (both who requested him) were supposed to fit into his "image" the show created, the bad boy of the ballroom. Denise said she likes bad boys and has a reputation for being a Hollywood bad girl. Debi with the characters she plays they probably expected some of that to come out. Tony often gets the older women (some of whom requested him). Cheryl gets the unknowns but works hard and does well. Mark and Derek can benefit from the shorter female celebs. Kym and Edyta have to take the taller male celebs.

Edyta and Alec both twittered that they'll be appearing on the Dr. Phil show in a couple of weeks (I guess they just filmed it today). The episode was about overcoming obstacles in their relationship, jealousy, and media attention, along with their plans to start a family.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3765212;
    Edyta and Alec both twittered that they'll be appearing on the Dr. Phil show in a couple of weeks (I guess they just filmed it today). The episode was about overcoming obstacles in their relationship, jealousy, and media attention, along with their plans to start a family.
    Wow--that could be really interesting. Can you let us know when it will be on if you find out?

I'll keep an eye out for it also.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3761217;
    And here comes the article denying it. Gotta love the gossip mill

'Dancing with the Stars': Maks and Karina could both return in season 10 | EW.com

I didn't really think the rumor was true. But I can only imagine the uproar if it was. If Karina got sacked, it would come out why, and ABC would be called sexist and that'd cause non-Maks fans, Karina supporters, and even some Maks fans to diss him. I wouldn't miss Karina, and actually I hope Maks gets a partner next season that wipes the floor with the competition. If for any other reason to hope she pulls the b***h face to end all b***h faces. Given Karina's pattern (Mario L. to Billy Ray and Floyd, Mario 2.0. to Rocco and Woz, and now Aaron) I don't think she'll get a very good one this season. Especially with Cheryl and Edyta getting duds this season, and Chelsie and Lacey being so popular. Maks is due a great partner. So he and Karina won't even have to see much of each other next season if she takes an early exit. They don't dance together during pro performances. So unless the show decides to try and create drama by putting them next to each other for rehearsals (like they did this season) they really won't have to see much of each other. I do feel sorry for the other pros that might get caught in the crossfire. I would think Maks/Karina could be adult and professional enough on the show to just bear with each other.
    They should FOR SURE give Edyta a winner for season 10. She deserves it and she is the only pro that has been there for all 10 seasons (from the beginning). Also, she has never won. She and Jason Taylor came in second during season 6 and if I'm not mistaken, that is the only time she has made it to the finals because of her dud celebs. DWTS, it is time to shine for Edyta!

[QUOTE=Wind Dancer;3761429;]"According to a source at ABC, “The casting of professionals is determined by the casting of the celebrities,..."

Can anyone verify this statement?[/
    QUOTE]

I heard Cheryl Burke say that on Regis & Kelly when she and Gilles and Melissa/Tony appearred after the finals of season 8. She said they don't know if they'll be back for the next season until they cast the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3765333;
    Wow--that could be really interesting. Can you let us know when it will be on if you find out?

I'll keep an eye out for it also.
    No problem, I'll be watching for it, too I did learn from watching Alec/Edyta on the Newlywed Game that they actually didn't get along at all when they first met. Their relationship was strictly professional and Edyta said her English was a lot worse so she thinks that didn't help. I remember reading something from Alec once that originally they were having a hard time getting results they wanted from the dance competitions. He also said it wasn't love at first sight at all. As lovey as they seem now, it's hard to believe all that, but they do make a beautiful pair!

In terms of the pros being asked back, I think the majority are typically a lock unless the show wants new/younger faces and wants to start weeding out the long time veterans. However, those long time veterans have become just as much a staple of the show as Tom, Len, Bruno's wild antics and (dare I say it) Samantha's robotic incompetent backstage interviews, the singers who should really be the ones lip synching and CA's obsession with lifts. I think the show would survive if they didn't completely overhaul the pro line up. The only ones that I think the show would feel comfortable getting rid of for a season or two are Jonathan, Alec, Louis, and Anna T., and I say those four because they've typically been the ones who've taken the seasons off (sometimes by their own doing, sometimes by the show). Probably Anna D. would also be on the chopping block. After this season Louis might have gained more staying power since he and Kelly were so popular and lasted so long, and Alec/Natalie were a popular couple.
    Last edited by karalott; 12-09-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Live band gives 'Dancing' lift - Entertainment News, Music for Screens -- Fall 2009, Media - Variety

Here's an interesting article about the music selection process and how the band prepares the chosen songs:

Live band gives 'Dancing' lift
    Custom-made arrangements key to success
    By JON BURLINGAME

'STAR'S' ENABLER: 'I don't pick the songs,' says 'DWTS' musical director Harold Wheeler. 'I re-create them for our band.'

It's 9:15 a.m. on a Monday morning on Stage 46 at CBS Television City. Harold Wheeler, music director for ABC's hit "Dancing With the Stars," is already well into rehearsal with his 17-piece band and quartet of singers for that night's live, two-hour show.
    He calls out the 3/4-time, country-flavored "Only One Road." Standing at his keyboard, headphones on, he conducts sans baton while actress Melissa Joan Hart and her pro partner Mark Ballas waltz around the floor while the stage's mirrored ball spins slowly, showering the room with points of light.

This is the first time that Hart and Ballas have heard what the band will play. For the previous five days, they've been rehearsing to a cut-down version of the original 1994 Celine Dion track.

An hour and a half later, Donny Osmond and partner Kym Johnson jitterbug to the old Louis Jordan classic "Choo Choo Ch'Boogie." The band cooks with high energy, which doesn't prevent Johnson and Osmond from trotting up to the bandstand afterward for a quiet conference with Wheeler. It's clear Osmond wants a faster, more decisive finale.

Wheeler announces to the band that "the chart ends at the 3rd beat of bar 72." They run it down again and Osmond seems happy. Thirty-six hours and two live telecasts later, Osmond was still alive in the competition, but Hart had been shown the door. And Wheeler's band didn't miss a beat.

"Music is the essence of everything," says "Dancing With the Stars" head judge Len Goodman during a break. "Without good music you will never get good dancing. Harold Wheeler and our band are unsung heroes, and the singers are fantastic. Whatever is thrown at them, they can do. Lindy hop, hip-hop, swing, every genre of music, they cope brilliantly."

In fact, the band consists of some of L.A.'s top studio musicians and singers. Trumpeters Rick Baptist and Warren Luening, saxophonist Dan Higgins, keyboard player Tom Ranier and drummer Ralph Humphrey are among the town's first-call players. Vocalists Darryl Phinnessee (veteran of multiple Michael Jackson tours), Carmen Carter, Beverley Staunton and Antonio Sol are not just good singers, says Wheeler, "they're great singers."

Wheeler, 66, is a six-time Tony nominee, two-time Emmy nominee (once for "Dancing With the Stars") and veteran of the "we-need-it-fast-and-good" school of showbiz music. Orchestrator on such Broadway shows as "The Wiz" and "Dreamgirls," he's been in L.A. for the past 18 years working in film, TV and live theater.

"I don't pick the songs," Wheeler points out. "They're given to me, and I re-create them for our band." He cites an example: "Two weeks ago we did a Charleston. The original recording was a trio and a singer -- it wouldn't even compete (with the other songs). Those recordings were designed to be listened to. To dance to them, there has to be more production value. You need the power of the horns."

The groundwork of choosing and clearing the many songs heard on "DWTS" begins months before the season even begins.

Senior producer Erin O'Brien creates a list of "well over 1,000 songs" that the staff attempts to clear with music publishers. "And out of every 100 songs," she says, "I may not even hear back on half. Of the rest, I may end up getting denials on half. Some artists don't agree to the fee, some prefer that their versions get heard, and some simply don't do business with reality shows, period."

When the celebrities are booked, "I ask all of my dancers for song ideas and suggestions," she adds. "We tell them, 'tell us anything you could ever possibly want to dance to.' Not a lot of them end up working," she concedes.

Once tunes are cleared for use, music editor Graham Jarvis – working in the U.K. and using the internet – decides whether they are appropriate for tangos or waltzes or any of the several categories, and then creates edited versions of the songs (anywhere from 60 to 100 seconds long). It is those versions that the dancers rehearse to, until the Monday morning sessions with the live band.

Familiar tunes work best, says executive producer Conrad Green, but "DWTS" is also famous for "throwing in a few oddballs and ringers. We did a tango to Britney Spears' ‘Toxic,' a paso doble to ‘Thriller' and a quickstep to Iggy Pop's ‘Lust for Life.' Sometimes our interpretations of songs are better than the originals," he says with a laugh.

Fresh arrangements, an on-stage band and talented singers all contribute to making the show "a little more special," says Green. "There is a certain dead-ness if you play a commercial track that's exactly what you've heard before. Real music, that live element, is an enormous part of why the show works."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3765927;
    Live band gives 'Dancing' lift - Entertainment News, Music for Screens -- Fall 2009, Media - Variety

Here's an interesting article about the music selection process and how the band prepares the chosen songs:

Once tunes are cleared for use, music editor Graham Jarvis – working in the U.K. and using the internet – decides whether they are appropriate for tangos or waltzes or any of the several categories, and then creates edited versions of the songs (anywhere from 60 to 100 seconds long). It is those versions that the dancers rehearse to, until the Monday morning sessions with the live band

Here's the biggest problem that I have with the music. Sometimes the song is way out there and just does NOT seem like it is appropriate for the dance. For example, American Woman was off the wall for the dance Natalie and Alex were performing. The song determined the costume and both set the mood for the routine.
    IMO, it is possible with a different and more appropriate song Natalie might have progressed at least to the next week if not further before getting cut.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fogey
    Karalott--hi. That's a really interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

I have to say though--that this paragraph seems to have been written by someone living in an alternate universe--

"In fact, the band consists of some of L.A.'s top studio musicians and singers. Trumpeters Rick Baptist and Warren Luening, saxophonist Dan Higgins, keyboard player Tom Ranier and drummer Ralph Humphrey are among the town's first-call players. Vocalists Darryl Phinnessee (veteran of multiple Michael Jackson tours), Carmen Carter, Beverley Staunton and Antonio Sol are not just good singers, says Wheeler, "they're great singers."

Completely unbelievable--as those of us who have to suffer through their messes can testify.

+ Reply to Thread