+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 232 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156 ... LastLast
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

sdl

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3728735;
    Nope, but there have been contestants who stayed way too long. Master P comes to mind along with Jerry Springer, the Woz and Cloris Leachman. (Shudder.)
    I agree that Len's the best, most knowledgeable judge but Ill go against the grain and say, that even though I don't agree with them all the time and they do sometimes annoy me, I don't mind Bruno and Carrie Ann.
    Nobody will ever come lose to the torture of watching Cloris Leachman. The others were bad dancers but watching Cloris was pure punishment.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3728987;
    Nobody will ever come lose to the torture of watching Cloris Leachman. The others were bad dancers but watching Cloris was pure punishment.
    I might actually say Master P was worse. But I liked the pro he was with. Poor Ashly And next season they still gave her a dud. Cloris was almost unbearable. And then there was the judges, with all their positive praise and scores, then getting upset and blaming Cloris for Toni Braxton leaving

Cloris/Corky, DWTS biggest nightmare. So Master P was a different kind of bad, because he didn't want to be there, destroyed the dancing shoes Ashly gave him, with mouthy, didn't listen to her, practiced a total of 20 hours, and had attitude. Cloris wanted to be there but still is the reigning champ for being a ham. Sad thing is I think more people laughed at her than with her. And Corky didn't help. For a guy that's so well respected and wanted behind the scenes in the ballroom world, I looked at him as being a stage dad pig. I can see where Mark gets the camera mugging and fame whoring from.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3729008;
    I might actually say Master P was worse. But I liked the pro he was with. Poor Ashly And next season they still gave her a dud. Cloris was almost unbearable. And then there was the judges, with all their positive praise and scores, then getting upset and blaming Cloris for Toni Braxton leaving

Cloris/Corky, DWTS biggest nightmare. So Master P was a different kind of bad, because he didn't want to be there, destroyed the dancing shoes Ashly gave him, with mouthy, didn't listen to her, practiced a total of 20 hours, and had attitude. Cloris wanted to be there but still is the reigning champ for being a ham. Sad thing is I think more people laughed at her than with her. And Corky didn't help. For a guy that's so well respected and wanted behind the scenes in the ballroom world, I looked at him as being a stage dad pig. I can see where Mark gets the camera mugging and fame whoring from.
    Funny. All I remember about Corky was how he tried to hold on to Cloris, pretending that he was hugging her but actually trying to keep this lunatic from wandering off again. Laughing to be polite but in a private Hell because he was stuck with her.
    Is that the only time he's been on the show?
    Anyway, you must be right because his star pupils, Mark and Derek, have the same annoying, over the top, goofy hamming it up for the camera techniques.
    I hate Derek's personality, but have finally come to the conclusion that the guy is probably the best dancer on the show. Not Maks, not Tony, and definitely not Mark. But closely rivaled by Cheryl (another controversial person) and Kym (who just rocks).

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3729015;
    Funny. All I remember about Corky was how he tried to hold on to Cloris, pretending that he was hugging her but actually trying to keep this lunatic from wandering off again. Laughing to be polite but in a private Hell because he was stuck with her.
    Is that the only time he's been on the show?
    Anyway, you must be right because his star pupils, Mark and Derek, have the same annoying, over the top, goofy hamming it up for the camera techniques.
    I hate Derek's personality, but have finally come to the conclusion that the guy is probably the best dancer on the show. Not Maks, not Tony, and definitely not Mark. But closely rivaled by Cheryl (another controversial person) and Kym (who just rocks).
    That was Corky's only season so far. Maks mentioned how he used to have to keep track of Cloris because Corky wouldn't be paying attention and she'd be wandering around the stage and backstage, not sure of what she was doing. I at first thought Corky let Cloris get her stupid antics out of the way just to prove it wasn't going to do anything but hurt them. Yet after I saw their jive, and Tom revealed what was edited out because it was too vulgar (something about when Cloris took her wig off and threw it, apparently originally it was supposed to be velcroed in between Corky's legs, Cloris would rip it out, and then toss it), I saw a different side to Corky. I think he loved the success his son and his former students, Derek and Julianne, found. I think he wanted some of that same success for himself. He seemed to embrace the limelight the show gave him, even if it literally was for only one season. Then, like some other big mouthed contestants on our version, he spoke out about SCD and his former girlfriend Kristina Rhianoff having to leave the show because her partner withdrew and how unfair he thought it was. Except this Kristina said she and Corky were already broken up when he gave this interview and didn't want him speaking on his behalf. Then allegedly Kristina flew to Corky's home in Texas because she wanted him back, found out he was with another woman, and completey trashed his house and her belongings. She denied it. What a soap opera, and all from a guy that appeared in one season

I'll give Derek this, he is a fabulous pro. I don't care if his partner was Mya, I'd still be watching him dance. I don't think anyone can help it, all eyes go to him because he's that good. And, I think he's been good at covering up Joanna's weak points. Obviously he got a rise out of Grumpy with their Lambada. While his gimmicks get annoying, at least it's not the extent of Mark while he's actually dancing. Derek tends to ham it up more before and after the dance. Mark does it before, during, and after. Dance wise I'd probably rank Derek and Karina at the top. Teaching wise, I really don't know. Karina doesn't take critcism well, and Derek hasn't had a really challenging partner yet.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3729022;
    That was Corky's only season so far. Maks mentioned how he used to have to keep track of Cloris because Corky wouldn't be paying attention and she'd be wandering around the stage and backstage, not sure of what she was doing. I at first thought Corky let Cloris get her stupid antics out of the way just to prove it wasn't going to do anything but hurt them. Yet after I saw their jive, and Tom revealed what was edited out because it was too vulgar (something about when Cloris took her wig off and threw it, apparently originally it was supposed to be velcroed in between Corky's legs, Cloris would rip it out, and then toss it), I saw a different side to Corky. I think he loved the success his son and his former students, Derek and Julianne, found. I think he wanted some of that same success for himself. He seemed to embrace the limelight the show gave him, even if it literally was for only one season. Then, like some other big mouthed contestants on our version, he spoke out about SCD and his former girlfriend Kristina Rhianoff having to leave the show because her partner withdrew and how unfair he thought it was. Except this Kristina said she and Corky were already broken up when he gave this interview and didn't want him speaking on his behalf. Then allegedly Kristina flew to Corky's home in Texas because she wanted him back, found out he was with another woman, and completey trashed his house and her belongings. She denied it. What a soap opera, and all from a guy that appeared in one season

I'll give Derek this, he is a fabulous pro. I don't care if his partner was Mya, I'd still be watching him dance. I don't think anyone can help it, all eyes go to him because he's that good. And, I think he's been good at covering up Joanna's weak points. Obviously he got a rise out of Grumpy with their Lambada. While his gimmicks get annoying, at least it's not the extent of Mark while he's actually dancing. Derek tends to ham it up more before and after the dance. Mark does it before, during, and after. Dance wise I'd probably rank Derek and Karina at the top. Teaching wise, I really don't know. Karina doesn't take critcism well, and Derek hasn't had a really challenging partner yet.
    Interesting stuff.
    What is it with ballroom dancers? They all seem to be egotistical, oversexed, dysfunctional freaks. I guess the bejeweled stage makeup exhibitionist dancing probably doesn't attract soccer moms and accountants, but these people are just plain horny and incapable of leading normal lives.
    Well, most of them. Tony seems to be happily married but is one of the most boring pros. Go figure.

I just read an interview that Chuck Lidell did in the Mercury News, sorry, can't seem to get the link over here, but he wasn't overly impressed with the judges. This is one of his quotes...
    "I'm not complaining about my scores," he said, acknowledging he lacked technical skills. "But them ragging on my two-step — and in the same manner Louie's two-step — none of them know how to judge a two-step. They don't do the two-step."
    He hit the nail on the head with that one!

FORT Fanatic

And, at least Chuck did a little more than just walk around the floor like Louie. Chuck's two step did actually
    look somewhat like a two step. Louie didn't do anything.

Vera wanted to do DWTS but apparently passed for this reason:

Fashion Week Daily – Chic Report » You Can Take the Girl Out of Fashion…

…But you can’t take the fashion out of the girl. Vera Wang on Dancing With The Stars? That old rumor has already been laid to rest, replaced by the news that Wang is shopping her own reality television show. But the real reason why Wang passed on the reality dance-a-thon? The Daily hears she said no because they wouldn’t let her design her own costumes. Atta girl, Vera!
    Too bad, as I would have loved to have seen Vera on the show. They've never had a fashion designer so it'd be a different kind of genre. But given some of the costume choices they put people in, I can't say I blame her.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3729038;
    Interesting stuff.
    What is it with ballroom dancers? They all seem to be egotistical, oversexed, dysfunctional freaks. I guess the bejeweled stage makeup exhibitionist dancing probably doesn't attract soccer moms and accountants, but these people are just plain horny and incapable of leading normal lives.
    Well, most of them. Tony seems to be happily married but is one of the most boring pros. Go figure.
    sdl, not all of us are like that, but there are a few who make the sport fun. Corley and his former wife, Shirley, were seven time United States International Latin Champions, which speaks to his talent. They retired from competition in 1996.

Oh dear...I really don't see anything good coming from this...except maybe a co-hosting job for Kristi Yamaguchi:
    Exclusive: ABC Developing Cool Twist on 'Dancing'

By Josef Adalian
    Published: October 15, 2009

ABC and BBC Worldwide Productions are in talks to put "Dancing with the Stars" on ice. Literally.

The network and "DWTS" producers are discussing importing a BBC format in which celebrities train to perform splashy ice skating routines, much the way stars are now turned into ballroom experts on "DWTS." No deal has been finalized and there's no firm timetable for when the show will air, but the project is in active development at ABC, according to two people familiar with the situation.

ABC and BBC Worldwide will likely take their time developing the project. Finding the right cast for such a project can be tough, since skating on ice is dramatically more difficult than doing so on a ballroom floor.

News of ABC's discussions to launch an icy take on the "DWTS" concept comes as the mothership is experiencing a bumpy season in the ratings.

While still an overall Nielsen giant, "DWTS" -- which takes up a big chunk of ABC's primetime lineup in the fall-- is down double digits in the adults 18-49 demographic, something that's resulted in tough stories about the show in publications such as Variety, USA Today and the LA Times.

The ABC-BBC Worldwide project will not be the first time a U.S. network has mounted an ice skating series. In 2006, Fox launched "Skating with Celebrities" with "stars" such as Kristy Swanson and Dave Coulier attempting to show off their skills. It didn't return for a second season.

What's more, BBC Worldwide isn't the only company with an ice dancing format in the marketplace right now. ITV Studios (the U.S. arm of the UK's ITV) has pitched American networks on a take on the Brit hit "Dancing on Ice," and it's always possible that format could find a home here as well.

The BBC aired an ice skating version of "Strictly Come Dancing" -- the format which became "DWTS" in the States -- as a Christmas special in 2004.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread