+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 232 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Ok, I had to laugh. At the People magazine website, they are calling tonight's show Helio versus the Mom Squad.

Fans get it wrong

Jennie Garth gets a perfect score, but it's her, and not Marie Osmond, who is eliminated.

Jennie Garth eliminated from 'Dancing'
    By JOSH L. DICKEY, Associated Press Writer

She may have been the most popular girl at West Beverly Hills High School, but Jennie Garth couldn't muster enough votes to reach the final of "Dancing with the Stars."

Garth, who played Kelly Taylor on "Beverly Hills, 90210" from 1990 to 2000, was eliminated from ABC's No. 1-rated show Tuesday night. A breakthrough performance the night before, which earned her and professional partner Derek Hough their first perfect judges score of 30, wasn't enough.

Dancing in next week's final will be two-time Indy 500 champion Helio Castroneves, Melanie "Scary Spice" Brown, and singer/performer Marie Osmond

Skill was never an issue for Garth -- it was self-confidence that dogged her throughout the series, though you wouldn't know it from the couple's dazzling cha-cha-cha on Monday, which prompted judge Bruno Tonioli to emphatically score them: "Finally: 10!"

"I have self-confidence ... my issue is performing in front of people, and Derek brought that out in me," Garth said, moments after her elimination was announced. "I had such a great time."

The oldest and perhaps most well-known of the remaining contestants, Osmond might be the biggest surprise in the final -- or is she?

Osmond and partner Jonathan Roberts were the first couple announced as "safe," despite that their judges' score was a show-low 56 out of 60. A cheeky quickstep fell one judge's "9" short of a perfect score; and the mambo that followed, while supremely entertaining, was flawed, earning a 27 out of 30.

The showbiz icon has clearly been riding a wave of popularity with voters. The Osmond name has made headlines throughout the show's stretch run, from the moment Marie Osmond fainted after a performance, to the day she missed an elimination show following the death of her elderly father, and the revelation last week that her 16-year-old son had entered rehab.

Next week's final dance-off airs Monday at 8 p.m. EST on ABC, with the winner announced Tuesday night.
    Dancing With the Stars Television show - Dancing With the Stars TV Show - Yahoo! TV

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Link Here

Jennie Garth's Dancing with the Stars Partner: You Can't Stop Juggernaut Marie!
    By DEBORAH STARR SEIBEL

Jennie Garth's husband, actor Peter Facinelli, wasn't sure if Dancing with the Stars' cameras were still running. His wife had just been eliminated on Tuesday night and was crying, caught up in a group hug with the other semifinalists and pros in the middle of the dance floor. "I was waiting for the cameras to stop," says Facinelli. "But then I said, ‘Aw, screw it,' and I ran out there. Because I knew she needed me."

The cameras had, in fact, gone to black. So what you didn't see was that Facinelli broke through the circle of love, grabbed his wife and gave her the longest, most beautiful kiss. "I forgot that anybody was out there," he says, just moments later. "It was like nobody was there except the two of us."

"He's my baby," says Garth. Did she know he was going to engage in such a public display of affection? "No, but I knew he couldn't sit there and endure it."

Garth, after the tears, had a wonderful, relaxed smile. "I feel like I've come so far in this," she says. "And I'm so proud of myself — not that I'm gloating. But it was wonderful what Derek [Hough, her pro partner] was able to do with me."

"She's not a natural performer," says Facinelli. "She's an actress. She likes to hide out in her characters. So for her to come out here and tackle something that's terrifying for her? That's a huge win in my book. I told her today, ‘Whatever happens tonight, you've won. You've completely won.'"

The irony, of course, is that Garth finally let it rip doing her last dance on Monday night, the same dance that earned an encore (her second for the season) on Tuesday. "She was so uptight about Monday's first round," says Facinelli. "She thought she nailed it, but she didn't get the triple 10s, so she went out the second time and said, ‘I don't care. I'm just going to go out and have fun.' And that did the trick."

"We had an inkling that this was our week to go," says Derek Hough after the elimination. "You can't stop the juggernaut [Marie Osmond], so we knew this was probably our time. But Jennie had two encore dances. She got a perfect score. She made it into the semifinals. You couldn't ask for a better run."

Facinelli and Garth are both excited about having a Thanksgiving that will be dance-free. "I'm going to eat all kinds of things," she says. "I'm excited to have my wife back," he says. "And we'll be able to have a conversation without someone whisking her away. I'm glad she did it, because the show brought her so much joy. And it brought our family joy, watching her. But Thanksgiving is going to be awesome."

There were other memorable snapshots from Tuesday night:

Los Angeles attorney Gloria Allred, in the audience rooting for her client, Mel B. "I represented her in the paternity petition involving Eddie Murphy," says Allred. "She's a talented, sweet, good person and it's an honor to represent her. And it's thrilling to watch this in person. To see all of these people [audience members] on the dance floor before the show starts, enjoying themselves? That's what dancing is supposed to be all about."

Three proud parents comparing notes after the return of Sabrina Bryan and Mark Ballas. "I've been teaching dance for 35 years," says Mark's mom, ballroom great Shirley Ballas (who also taught Julianne and Derek Hough), "and I've never seen a girl dance like that. I think she's the ultimate in a female dancer. I think she showed the world today that she truly was the best. That kind of energy, that magic, it's something you cannot teach because it comes from the heart. It comes by only once every now and again, that kind of explosive chemistry, and with them, it's fantastic."
    "We're just so happy that the show gave them a chance to come out and show what they could do," says Fred Hinojos, Sabrina's dad. "They were dancing for the show, but they were dancing for themselves. They were having so much fun that they didn't care if anybody was there. The room could've been empty and it wouldn't have mattered."

Dance pro Anna Trebunskaya, married to Marie Osmond's partner, Jonathan Roberts, watching proudly from the sidelines as her husband made the finals for the first time. "It's easy to make a good dancer look good," says Trebunskaya. "It's way harder to make someone who's not that great of a dancer look good. People don't realize it, they don't see it. But Jonathan is like a solid wall. He's never going to let his partner down. He has done so much to make Marie look like she does."

Everyone knows about Osmond's hardships. But Roberts hasn't had an easy time of it, either. Trebunskaya says that her husband actually had a root canal on Monday morning, the day of their critical semifinal performances. "The tooth is good," he says after Tuesday's show, "but I haven't had a chance to get it crowned yet." He turns to Osmond. "Because this one [Marie] makes the finals, I have to put the dentist off for a week. If I get an infection, you're going to be in big trouble."

Osmond just laughs. "The best thing is that nobody's had more fun than the two of us," she says. Says Roberts, "I keep telling her, ‘Seven more days, three more dances.'" But aren't they both beyond exhausted — emotionally and physically? "Forget the pain!" says Osmond. "You just don't think about it. You just don't stop."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Link Here

Dancing with the Stars: A Disappointing Finale

Season five, which fans almost universally agreed featured the greatest collection of talent of any of the DWTS seasons, wraps up with tonight’s results show (9 p.m. ET, ABC), which, unfortunately, follows one of the most disappointing round of season finale performances.

Overall:
    • The celebs seemed to save their weakest performances for the finale;
    • Marie Osmond does not know how to graciously accept criticism, no matter how completely on the money it was.

A rundown of last night’s final season five performances, including the highly-anticipated (and sadly lame) freestyle round:

Melanie Brown and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
    1st dance - Cha Cha Cha - “A great opening to tonight’s show,” said Len Goodman, though Carrie Ann Inaba said she expected more excitement (as Mel B. tried to catch her breath!). The Spice Girl was also sporting a rather skimpy costume, but it only earned a perfect 10 from judge Bruno Tonioli. Their overall score: 28.
    2nd dance - Freestyle- Brown’s Spice Girl cohorts booed in the audience, but we have to agree with the judges: The couple’s dance was underwhelming. Nice lifts, but disjointed overall performance, and both of them seemed very stiff. Who wasn’t expecting a total showstopper from Mel B. and Maksim, who’ve been consistently exciting? Their score: 27.

Marie Osmond and Jonathan Roberts
    1st dance - Samba - Marie got her usual “you’re very entertaining and fun to watch” from all the judges, which meant, bottom line, that technically, she’s not hoofing at the same level as her competitors. And it was reflected in the judges’ score: 24. PS - Were we the only ones who though Osmond’s yellow dress with wide black waist cincher made her look like she’d raided Charlie Brown’s closet?
    2nd dance - Freestyle -”It’s Baby Jane meets the bride of Chucky,” said Tonioli of Osmond’s ill-conceived performance, which included her dressed up like a baby doll, and making odd, stilted movements. We get it, she’s a doll designer. Their score: 22. And they were being very, very generous for what will surely go down as one of the most, um, unique dances in show history.

Helio Castroneves and Julianne Hough
    1st dance - Jive - Bad footwork, good overall performance was the gist of the feedback for the Indy 500 champ and his partner, who won audience cheers that made it temporarily impossible for host Tom Bergeron to hear the judges. And Castroneves may need that kinda fan feedback to help him in the results show, as the judges’ score was a tame 25.
    2nd dance - Freestyle - “Best freestyle of the night, by miles,” said Goodman, which wasn’t exactly saying a lot, given the lackadaisical performances of the other contenders. Still, their lifts were exciting, if their overall performance wasn’t. Their score: 29.

Best line of the night: Tom Bergeron, to judge Carrie Ann Inaba after her negative reaction to Mel B.’s freestyle dance elicited boos from Brown’s fellow Spice Girls: “I know someone’s not getting tour tickets.”

2nd best line of the night: Tom Bergeron, on Castroneves’s gold jumpsuit: “Helio looks like a Brazilian Power Ranger, doesn’t he”?

The dancers didn’t save the best for last, but the quippy host sure did.

As for who will walk away with the mirrored ball trophy tonight, it’s a big toss-up. Osmond should be out of the running after what amounted to an embarrassing freestyle dance, but the fact that she made it to the finale at all means she’s clearly got a lot of fan support. And between Mel B. and Castroneves, the lack of a standout performance last night means either one could rightly claim the victory.

Wow, seems the pundits agree with most the "fan-atics" here... very disappointing finale.
    Tahoe bound....

Link Here

Dancing with the Stars Backstage Report: A Frustrating Finale
    by Deborah Starr Seibel

It was the Dancing with the Stars night we've all been waiting for, but everything was just a little off kilter. The hallways were packed with VIPs: friends, family and stars like All My Children's Cameron Mathison, exiled weeks before he was ready to go home. "I think it's going to be Helio," says Mathison. "I've been a fan of his forever."

But like any great marathon, you could feel the strain, see the warning flags. "Julianne [Hough] has strep throat," says her mom, Marriann Nelson, outside the soundstage. "She's been feeling awful all week, but she's still dancing." Is she feeling well enough to perform tumbles and lifts for the freestyle? Her mom nods her head yes. "She just keeps going. One time, for a [ballroom] championship, she danced with shingles."

Inside, Mathison was tucked away in the audience with Jane Seymour, her husband, director James Keach, and Seymour's pro partner, Tony Dovolani. Seymour and Keach had just been through a second round of California wildfires that threatened their Malibu home on Friday and Saturday. "Only this time, I was out there with the hoses, too," says Seymour, who says they could clearly see the flames from where they were standing.

Mathison and Seymour have been practicing for Tuesday night's finale, where all the stars (except Wayne Newton, who is recovering from cardiomyopathy, a viral heart infection) will dance again. They were curious to see what Mel B., Helio Castroneves and Marie Osmond could deliver on the night they were all gunning for. "I should have become a Mormon," jokes Seymour, referring to Osmond's fan base. "It's a very big religion."

But the bad news started almost immediately. The judges weren't overly impressed with Mel B. "I was expecting a hair more excitement," says Carrie Ann Inaba about her cha-cha. And her freestyle, says Len Goodman, "didn't flow." The comments didn't get any better for Osmond. "Technically, not your best dance," says Bruno Tonioli about her samba. The explosive, joyous dancing everyone was waiting for wasn't happening. Backstage, Helio and Julianne picked up on the strange vibe and for the first time, says Hough, got really nervous. "I was so upset, because the audience was so awesome in the beginning of the show, and then the judges had such harsh criticism that it made the whole room just die. It sucked the energy out of it. And that's what screwed both of us up in the jive. Because we heard so much negative criticism that the whole energy went down and we got nervous."

But surely they've been nervous before? "I'm a professional and I got nervous," says Hough. "So I can only imagine how Helio was feeling. This is supposed to be fun, but there was so much pressure to be perfect, perfect, perfect that it was just a downer."

Donny Osmond was struck by the strange atmospherics, too. "Mel B. blew me away tonight," he says, in a surprising admission that did not single out his sister. "But she blew me away more last week. The judges put a dark cloud over this whole show. The dancers and the celebrities were all nervous. Come on, this is the finale. Give them some encouragement."

But Donny admits that the dancing didn't match the breathtaking semifinals. "Last week was better, as far as the dancing was concerned," he says. "Tonight, everybody was nervous. Everybody was tired. Just talking to Marie before the show, she said, 'I am worn out.' When Jennie [Garth] left last week, she turned to me and said, 'I want to go home. The fun has been taken out because I hurt.'"

His overall assessment? "This reality show has gone a little too far," says Osmond. "It's beyond reality and the judges are beating them up."

Which becomes clear when you see pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy struggle to get up off the floor after his freestyle with partner Mel B. "He hurt his back," says his friend Dovolani. "He's jacked up on about 50 Advil."

"I don't believe in pills," says Maks after the show. But you can see the worry in his face. "I hurt my back on Friday night when we were doing the lifts, pulling out all the stops, trying to do as much as we could do. This week, we didn't have Wednesday or Thursday night to practice because of the Spice Girls' rehearsals, so we did freestyle on Friday night and the cha-cha-cha on Saturday at, like, 11 at night. There was no warm-up. And I didn't have time to teach her how to be lifted properly, so she was kind of like a dead weight."

And the result? "On Sunday," says Maks, "I couldn't get out of bed. We had camera blocking in the morning, so I crawled over here. But we didn't do the lifts. Today, in dress rehearsals, we didn't do the lifts." They didn't practice the death-defying lift that had him swinging her around his head and then upside down, with her head nearly smashing the floor? "No," says Chmerkovskiy. "I've got to give it to Mel, this is a very risky and very difficult thing to do. And for her to trust me without going over it was great. But then on the floor, I went like this [tries to arch his back] and I got stuck. I couldn't get up. I felt really bad about that because I couldn't get up and I didn't want to take away from what Mel had done."

In fact, Chmerkovskiy has been so distracted by his injury that he didn't even realize that he and Mel got the highest score of the night. "They just told me," he says. "I wasn't paying attention." Then the emotional side of this grueling journey comes into play. "We enjoy each other's company so much," he says. "And I'm sad because it's our last Monday night together. I told her, with no cameras around, that this has been the most amazing three months of my life. And then she cried."

There was no crying for Castroneves. He was swearing a blue streak — in Portuguese. "I was so upset after the jive," he says. "I know I made some mistakes right at the beginning. But the jive is a dance that has always been very hard for us and is still very hard for us. So I'm never going to dance jive again." Backstage, says Castroneves, Hough encouraged him to let out his frustration — so he did. "I started cursing in Portuguese in the changing room, where I was just by myself," he says. "And I was worried. My biggest fear was [coming up] in the freestyle, the flip. Not to drop her. So I said, 'I'm going to do everything I know from my racing career, mentally, to make it happen.'" Castroneves dug deep to find his way back to confidence. "And then I came out and I said, 'I know what I need to do.'"

That last dance finally lit up the room. Helio and Julianne's freestyle busted through the strain of the evening. It was as if everyone was waiting to go crazy and finally could. "For us," says Castroneves, "it was everything or nothing. A lot of things can go wrong with those lifts. And I'm the only guy [celebrity] here doing them. I still really want that mirror ball trophy."

But it's anyone's game. Says Dovolani, "I was pretty disappointed in Marie's performance tonight. I thought she had the opportunity to really entertain the audience and she failed. It was a good idea gone bad. She never really snapped out of the doll thing [to dance normally], and you needed her to. I thought Mel had a great night. Technically, she's the best dancer of the group. Helio is very entertaining, fun to watch, but in his freestyle, I think he could've done more. But for them to do two dances in a week — three, if you count tomorrow? I give the teachers [the pros] a lot of credit."

I just read this at TMZ

Last Dance for Helio and Fiancee!
    Posted Nov 28th 2007 11:49AM by TMZ Staff
    Filed under: Break-Ups, TV, Dancing with the Stars

Helio may have waltzed into winning "Dancing With the Stars" by doing a Paso Doble ... but the Paso Uno is what he's doing now!

TMZ has confirmed business executive Aliette Vazquez has broken off her engagement to the "Dancing" winner. Vazquez and the race car driver had been dating for more than six years and have been engaged for a year. "There have been a lot of rumors and a lot of misinformation out there," Vazquez's rep Howard Bragman tells us, and she "wanted to set the record straight."

Bragman told us, "This is a personal decision and I ask the media to respect the privacy of Miss Vazquez and her family. She has no plans to talk to the media, but reserves that right if she needs to clarify misinformation or defend her reputation."

Let's get ready to Rumba!

UPDATE: More good stuff! We've learned that the two have not spoken in weeks. And so you know -- this has nothing to do with partner Julianne Hough. it's just between Helio and Aliette

Well that kiss he gave Julianne last night certainly looked suspect!

But Julianne is ONLY NINETEEN, no matter how mature she seems. yuck, I would NOT like them to have a relationship and can't see that Julianne would be truly attracted to Helio, but then I don't know her. I CAN see Julianne giving him a kiss to give his ex something to think about though, in support of Helio.

FORT Newbie

Wow!!! That is all I can say at that moment.

I feel bad for the both of them and for Julianne.

On the local news here in LA they were interviewing the contestants and Maks said he would definitely not be back in March for season 6 and Julianne has a clause in her contract that they may not ask her back but I highly doubt that. Mark tore a muscle in his shoulder during practice but decided to perform anyway. He was rushed to the hospital immediately after the show.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

+ Reply to Thread