+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 232 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575125 ... LastLast
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Also, when Heidi isn't filming Project Runway, or running her businesses, she goes to Germany to host Germany's Next Top Model.

I wonder if/how she could ever fit in several months of DWTS.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Okay, Heidi, don't tease us saying you and Seal want to be on the show when you can't deliver!

FORT Fogey

Neither Heidi nor Jessica Simpson will go on this show - as much as they may think it would be fun.

This show is for people with struggling careers - not with successful careers. Neither Heidi nor Jessica need it nor would they want to be considered B-list celebrities.

Most reality TV stars have non-compete clauses in their contracts. In Heidi's case, it would be a contract from the Weinstein Company with a clause requiring Heidi to submit for approval any offer for her to appear on any network other than Lifetime (formerly any network outside the NBC/Universal) during a time certain. Such clauses are questionable under California labor law, but they are nearly always present. Another reality TV personality who auditioned for DWTS before a past season ran into the contract dilemma because Viacom was opposed to her taking viewers away from their shows since she was appearing on Wednesday at 10 PM in a taped show on one of their networks.

FORT Fogey

The situation with the father is just creepy. She has some dance and she has musicality so she'd be a good fit for the show. I think she'd go far and her name is known so she would come with a fan base in place. If I were a pro I'd want her. She'd prob go to the end.

Ruben Studdard wants to do DWTS

Reality TV shows seem to be a series of revolving doors these days, as contestants move from one show to the next during their careers. Even Ruben Studdard, American Idol's season 2 winner, is ready to be back in front of those reality cameras.

In a video for PopEater, Ruben responds to a question via Twitter (which apparently confused him) as to whether he'd do Dancing With the Stars.

"Twitter, it's funny that you asked that because I have thought about being on Dancing With the Stars, he reveals. "I think it's a wondeful show and I'd love to be a part of it."

Meanwhile, Ruben's working on a video for his song "Together," in preparation for his new album's release on May 19, and says he's planning on going on tour soon after that.
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

There's people from Idol I wouldn't mind seeing on DWTS-but an even longer list of those I hope don't. Ruben is one of them. Nothing against the guy, but he's just meh to me and probably the one Idol winner that is unmemorable.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3406307;
    There's people from Idol I wouldn't mind seeing on DWTS-but an even longer list of those I hope don't. Ruben is one of them. Nothing against the guy, but he's just meh to me and probably the one Idol winner that is unmemorable.
    Did you forget about Taylor Hicks, who for me was the biggest wtf? But I agree, although I'm sure it would be a good thing for Ruben's efforts to lose weight, I really don't want to see him on DWTS.

I think Clay Aiken would be fun to watch but then people would say that he has an unfair advantage because he's done Broadway (which IMO is not the same thing). Justin Guarini would be a BLAST to watch. He is so cute that I just want to shrink him down and ruffle his hair and put him in my pocket and take him out and love him and squeeze him and hug him and...Sorry, I got stuck in Looney Tunes land for a moment
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Not sure where to post ... Mentions Steve's comments about DWTS scoring.

Just how real are reality TV shows? - REALITY TV- msnbc.com

Just how real are reality TV shows? - REALITY TV- msnbc.com

By Michael Ventre
    msnbc.com contributor
    updated 5:53 p.m. ET, Tues., April 7, 2009
    When Jason dumped Melissa for Molly on the "After The Final Rose" show following ABC’s “The Bachelor,” it wasn't just Melissa who smelled a rat. Many viewers reacted as if they had been suckered into a reality TV Ponzi scheme. The blogosphere was dense with hot-blooded commentary, mostly involving the word “rigged.”

When Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak was still dancing on “Dancing with the Stars,” he said in a Facebook post: “The producers play games to get viewers and don’t disclose the (voting) numbers. If they disclosed the numbers, it would be less of a game, but still suspect. If tomorrow, they claim I’m in the bottom 2 dance teams, including viewer votes, I believe that’s an outright lie.”

Wozniak did end up in the bottom two, but by then he'd backtracked, calling himself a “heel” and a “loudmouth” and apologizing for questioning the show.

Story continues below ↓

But the seeds of reality discontent have already been planted, spouted, raised to full growth and pruned for display. Perhaps only cockeyed optimists believe reality shows are completely on the up-and-up; then again, maybe it’s just the most suspicious conspiracy theorists that believe every detail is as meticulously planned as an episode of “CSI.”

Yet it could be that there is a middle ground that is most akin to the semi-improvised “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” in which an outline for a plot is prepared, but where it goes from there is anyone’s guess.

“Certainly, reality TV is a very manipulated format where the basis of it is that real people are put into unreal situations to create a story,” said J. Rupert Thompson, a director and producer who includes “Big Brother” and “Fear Factor” among his credits.

“As soon as they get into an unreal situation,” Thompson said, “one could argue that it’s scripted, because the situation is created by the producers. What makes it so compelling is that you never know what a real person’s reaction to an unreal situation will be. That’s why you get such great stuff on reality TV.”

But do viewers care if their shows have been, say, artificially enhanced?

“I think there are both types out there,” Thompson said. “I think some demand credibility and others just want to be entertained. I think the educated viewer knows what reality TV is and what it has become.”

Call it ‘partially scripted television’
    Ray Richmond is on a crusade. The longtime television critic for the Hollywood Reporter, who now blogs about entertainment and pop culture at manbitestinseltown.com, said he has been trying — so far unsuccessfully — to have the term “reality television” switched to “partially scripted television.”

“It started with the first of the new reality generation, that being (1992's) ‘The Real World,’” Richmond said. “While ‘The Real World’ isn’t fully scripted, participants have maintained that there was meddling by producers — denied by all involved — to stir the pot and ratchet up the soapy conflict.

Reality shows shoot many more hours of footage than what can be shown in a 30- or 60-minute program, leaving editors to splice together selected footage in order to tell a certain story.

"The editors have grown to become the new storytellers, altering sequences and the course of events and contextual elements to weave together a story that’s radically different from what went down," says Richmond. "And as more than one person has pointed out, is it possible for people on ‘Survivor’ to starve to death when there’s a junk-food-laden craft services table just outside of camera range?”

But does it matter? Among the top 10 shows in Nielsen ratings for the week of March 23-29, two installments of “American Idol” and two of “Dancing With the Stars” ranked in the top six. Clearly, people watch, despite the turmoil over what’s real and what’s not.

Some parts are real: No one is dancing for Steve-O
    “I think people do care whether their favorite show has been tampered with,” noted Lynette Rice, who covers television for Entertainment Weekly. “Every year, fans of ‘Dancing with the Stars’ threaten to boycott the show because they feel ABC manipulated the votes and the wrong D-level dancer won. Despite this, viewers still show up in droves, because when it’s said and done, there aren’t producers out there manipulating Steve-O’s legs while he’s fox-trotting. He’s doing it all himself.

“Not everything about reality shows can be manipulated.”

Yet Richmond remains highly skeptical. He feels that despite the popularity of reality shows, the public is being sold a bill of goods. If he’s correct, expect more controversies to come.

One surfaced recently, when the New York Daily News published a story claiming the final four on "American Idol" had already been chosen by the judges (meaning viewer votes meant nothing).

That story would seem to have been disproved just one week later, when Alexis Grace, a contestant listed among the supposed final four, was eliminated, but the controversy lives on. One reader posted to the Daily News' story: "Of course Alexis was voted off. After this article, American Idol had her voted off."

Richmond doesn't see things becoming any less murky in the future. “We can expect that more and more reality shows will be scripted, albeit unofficially," he says. "It’s important to keep in mind that almost nobody involved with these shows will ever acknowledge the wizard behind the curtain. There is almost an element of collusion on everyone’s part, or a code of silence, to never let on, lest the pot of gold disappear.

“What they are doing on these shows is taking a kernel of fact and using it to construct a multi-pronged piece of fiction in the guise of truth and actuality," Richmond said. "This makes for a product that’s not only mislabeled but disingenuous and deceptive.”

Still, the reality TV police aren’t cracking down, fans are tuning in, and studios and production companies continue to rake in moolah.

+ Reply to Thread