+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Is this where we can find out which dances each of the contestants will be performing each week? Have they already announced that information for next Monday's show?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan View Post
    Is this where we can find out which dances each of the contestants will be performing each week? Have they already announced that information for next Monday's show?
    For next week, the dances are quickstep (Maria, Melissa, Gladys, Donald, Roshon, William), and jive (Sherri, Martina, Katherine, Jack, Jaleel, Gavin).

Call it a hunch but I think one of the jive people will go home next week. That's a much harder dance to do than the quickstep, and a lot easier to spot mistakes, since the quickstep is in hold (and easier to hide behind your partner, or your footwork). Since I thought Gavin and Martina were the weakest with their dances, I think this could be make or break for them. I kind of think Jack will struggle, too, but put on an entertaining performance.

Thanks, karalott!!! I don't expect that we will be seeing many 8's or 9's this next week, but some might surprise us.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    For next week, the dances are quickstep (Maria, Melissa, Gladys, Donald, Roshon, William), and jive (Sherri, Martina, Katherine, Jack, Jaleel, Gavin).

Call it a hunch but I think one of the jive people will go home next week. That's a much harder dance to do than the quickstep, and a lot easier to spot mistakes, since the quickstep is in hold (and easier to hide behind your partner, or your footwork). Since I thought Gavin and Martina were the weakest with their dances, I think this could be make or break for them. I kind of think Jack will struggle, too, but put on an entertaining performance.
    I wish they wouldn't do these two high-energy dances so early in the season. The jive, especially, is so much more fun to see when the celebrity has built their endurance and skills enough to do the dance justice.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

I saw multiple articles bemoaning the fact that ratings were in the toilet for Monday's premier. They mentioned the lack of controversy and controversial contestants as the reason why. Soooooooo hoping that doesn't sway tptb into more stunt casting for the future. Those of us who enjoy seeing "stars" out of their comfort zone evolving as they learn how to dance plus the beautiful pro numbers on results night DON'T WANT CONTROVERSY! Are we enough for ABC?

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    I saw multiple articles bemoaning the fact that ratings were in the toilet for Monday's premier. They mentioned the lack of controversy and controversial contestants as the reason why. Soooooooo hoping that doesn't sway tptb into more stunt casting for the future. Those of us who enjoy seeing "stars" out of their comfort zone evolving as they learn how to dance plus the beautiful pro numbers on results night DON'T WANT CONTROVERSY! Are we enough for ABC?
    I think the ratings drop off has much more to do with stiffer competition than it has to do with the lack of controversy. "The Voice" has come out with very strong ratings this season. I watched it some before the DWTS season started. Many of the potential DWTS audience may already be invested with contestants on that show. It was a smart move of NBC to launch the voice prior to the DWTS season to lock in the audience.

I kind of like the lack of controversy because the voting is less likely to be skewed by power voting blocs that are much more interested in raising public awareness for their "cause" than they are in rewarding the best performing star.

All these articles talking gloom & doom about the ratings are full of it. DWTS has always skewed older in its ratings. Some other show will often beat it for the 18-34 or 18-49 demo, which industry people hype as the key number. But in terms of total viewers, DWTS usually has up to twice as many viewers as the nearest competitor.

ABC will still get some very nice ad rates from these numbers. DWTS has nothing to worry about.
    karalott, Florimel and Critical like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I saw Tom on some local tv show in L.A. and he seemed to think they did very well - he was happy with the "total viewers" number. It got revised upward to nearly 19 million viewers. Incredible in this day and age, and way above any of the competition. That stupid 18-49 thing just dominates the chatter. In the economic downturn, the group that did the BEST were seniors, because of Social Security. They buy plenty! I think the ad execs are wrong. Nobody stays true to brands anymore, like the old days, when you'd start using Tide in your 20's and never deviate. Today, everybody's ready to change and switch the minute a new item comes on the market. Why they haven't noticed this drives me crazy. in fact, older people are MORE likely to be swayed by an ad, most likely - and many items are tailor-made for older people: Carnival Cruise lines, holidays of all kinds, upper end or larger cars, they're the most likely to eat food from the grocery store instead of eating out, etc etc. Just a huge market! With lots of time on their hands to go shopping.
    karalott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsa66 View Post
    I saw Tom on some local tv show in L.A. and he seemed to think they did very well - he was happy with the "total viewers" number. It got revised upward to nearly 19 million viewers. Incredible in this day and age, and way above any of the competition. That stupid 18-49 thing just dominates the chatter. In the economic downturn, the group that did the BEST were seniors, because of Social Security. They buy plenty! I think the ad execs are wrong. Nobody stays true to brands anymore, like the old days, when you'd start using Tide in your 20's and never deviate. Today, everybody's ready to change and switch the minute a new item comes on the market. Why they haven't noticed this drives me crazy. in fact, older people are MORE likely to be swayed by an ad, most likely - and many items are tailor-made for older people: Carnival Cruise lines, holidays of all kinds, upper end or larger cars, they're the most likely to eat food from the grocery store instead of eating out, etc etc. Just a huge market! With lots of time on their hands to go shopping.
    It was ABC themselves that said 18 million. That could have been a tad inflated. I do not understand why they need to 18-49 demographic to tune in. When I heard that I didn't understand it. I still dont.

I think part of it, is the name DWTS. On other boards in the variety forums, the question remains the same, what stars
    They dont care if someone ,who has never danced is stepping outside their comfort zone to dance in front of millions, many people want there to be big stars , thats it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

But it's like viewers & the media get amnesia before every season. There have never been big, current, A-list Hollywood stars on the show. The reason they can't or won't do it is that they're too busy being A-list stars to take 4 months off to commit to the show.
    Critical and Arielflies like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread