+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4109833;
    I have to admit that while I didn't think she sent it, I did wonder if it were just as possible that some misguided soul sent it to try and create sympathy for her as it was that someone sent it as an actual threat. And just to be clear, I'm not classifying everyone who supports Bristol as a bunch of misguided souls. I just think that if someone were to try to create sympathy for her in such an unfortunate way, then that one culprit would be a misguided soul.

Though, of course, it doesn't matter who sent it. It was an extremely stupid thing to do and if they catch the person, he/she is going to be in a great deal of trouble.
    Bristol deserves the criticism she's getting. You put yourself in the spotlight, people will love you, others won't. It's not any different than other celebs/pros taking a beating over the years. This would be too far, though. And I don't think Bristol would stoop that low. I could see someone doing it for the reasons you stated, and that person would be just as disturbed as someone would be if they didn't like her. First Maks's alleged statements, then the backlash over her staying, now this...is it Tuesday yet? Actually, make that Wednesday. Then it's all over.

The latest from Ch 9 (who was on scene) is that a threatening letter was addressed to Bristol and contained a white powder. The substance is being sent off for further testing, but was determined non-hazardous at the scene. It arrived in the mailroom at DWTS around 5PM and there was an evacuation of that area while HazMat teams investigated. ABC released a statement saying the substance is talcum powder. However, the FBI is sending it to a lab for testing.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4109836;
    The latest from Ch 9 (who was on scene) is that a threatening letter was addressed to Bristol and contained a white powder. The substance is being sent off for further testing, but was determined non-hazardous at the scene. It arrived in the mailroom at DWTS around 5PM and there was an evacuation of that area while HazMat teams investigated. ABC released a statement saying the substance is talcum powder. However, the FBI is sending it to a lab for testing.
    My guess is that the lab testing is just SOP for the FBI. Particularly in this case, because Bristol is the daughter of someone who is a relatively high profile political figure (even if she isn't currently holding an office), they probably feel they really have to cross all their ts and dot all their is.

Can you imagine how P.O.ed the FBI is at having wasted their time having to deal with some crazoid's attempt to undermine a dancing show? I mean, I'm sure they're happy it wasn't anything serious, but still....

A letter is sent through the mail which is federal territory, so I would think that no matter where and to whom that letter was addressed, it would need to have FBI involvement. If I received such a letter, the FBI would investigate even though I am not in the public eye.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

IF it arrived in the mail room at ABC - it may not have gone thru USPS - but because of what is in it - a threat - a white powder - the local and feds would be involved
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

Quote Originally Posted by Capegal;4109821;
    Addressed to Bristol............... nasty message being sent.

All over a dancing show on tv - this is getting disgusting
    ITA! Honestly, in every interview I've seen with her - usually with Mark by her side - she says she's having fun and she's thankful to be there, AND she usually thanks Mark in some way - she always says "we" instead of "I."

She's got to be more than aware of what's going on and how many people want her to fail. The "voters," wherever they come from, have a right to vote for whomever they choose.

JUST LET THE GIRL DANCE!!!!

(I would bet that envelope was sent by someone who is NOT a fan, like the guy who shot his TV. Her family must be worried.)
    Stay tuned for "Dancing with the Dancers"!

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;4109847;
    ITA! Honestly, in every interview I've seen with her - usually with Mark by her side - she says she's having fun and she's thankful to be there, AND she usually thanks Mark in some way - she always says "we" instead of "I."

She's got to be more than aware of what's going on and how many people want her to fail. The "voters," wherever they come from, have a right to vote for whomever they choose.

JUST LET THE GIRL DANCE!!!!

(I would bet that envelope was sent by someone who is NOT a fan, like the guy who shot his TV. Her family must be worried.)
    I can see Mama Bear in action now - one of her cubs is in danger and nothing worse than a mad and angry Mama Bear...................
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

From People magazine, November 19, 5:30 p.m.

The million-dollar question among Dancing with the Stars fans these days? How did Bristol Palin make it into the season 11 finals?

"She deserves it," DWTS executive producer Conrad Green tells PEOPLE. "And a significant portion of our viewing audience believes that, too."

Palin, 20, has consistently received the lowest scores from the judges this season. Yet she's survived nine weeks of eliminations, beating out this season's more accomplished contestants like Audrina Patridge, Rick Fox, and Brandy.

Some are questioning her staying power, saying that the show's voting system needs to be examined, but Green insists, "There's nothing in the voting system that looks at all strange."

Speculation has arisen about whether members of the Tea Party, many of whom strongly support Bristol's mom Sarah Palin, are involved in an organized effort to promote Bristol.

On one conservative Web site, Freerepublic.com, some of the site's 300,000 registered users have recently used discussion threads to encourage votes for Bristol. One asked users to "make liberal heads explode and vote for Bristol" on Nov. 8 to advance her to the semi-finals.

But Jim Robinson, who founded the site, says there is no larger plan at work. "An organized conspiracy? I sincerely doubt that," he told PEOPLE. "The Tea Party's not that organized!"

And Green agrees that there's no stuffing of the virtual ballot-box, saying that the entire process text votes, call-in votes and email votes "is all overseen by the Broadcast Standards team, independent of us and the network to make sure that everything is absolutely done scrupulously."

While some say the show's credibility is in question after this year, Green says this isn't the first time a less skilled dancer has made it to the finale.

"Quite often it's been the one who's the most popular or someone who's captured the public's imagination because of their performance or who they were," Green says. "You can argue whether or not she deserves to be there more than someone else who the judges have assigned to be a better dancer, but then make sure you vote for that person. It's not rocket science."

Contrary to a report that the show is looking into overhauling it's voting system to give the judges' scores more weight than audience votes, Green says that's not the case.

"Everyone is having a go at our system, but unlike American Idol, our professional judges count for half of the total for each couple, so there's already a built-in attempt to make the dance quality matter," Green says. "We set the rules down and this is the game and if this is how it turns out, then this is how it turns out. I think it's absolutely fair."

One change Green is contemplating is extending the voting hours following the Monday, Nov. 22 performance show, the first of season 11's two-night finale. That way, Green says, "given all the fuss, we have a bit more time for people to vote so everyone gets a chance to have their say."
    Stay tuned for "Dancing with the Dancers"!

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules;4109397;
    I respectfully disagree. Bristol outdanced Brandy in the semifinal. Everybody I watch will agreed with me. Yes Brandy was a "ringer" and was better than Bristol most of the season, but she was not on Monday. And while the judges were UNDERSCORING Bristol all season they were busy overscoring Brandy/Maks. Their Paso was full of mistakes and should have gotten 7's or 8's. Their tango was technically good, but lacked the intensity and passion it needed to be a true tango. Should have gotten 9's not 10's. Bristol was underscored, and Kyle and Jennifer's scores were right where they should have been. People are letting their dislike of Bristol and her mom cloud their judgement of what they are seeing on the dance floor, including the three judges. As to the bottom two, since we don't know who they are it isn't fair to say Brandy vs. Bristol, any more than it is Brandy vs. Jennifer. I happen to watch show with two former ballroom dancers, one who taught for years and another who competed on a college formation team. Bristol is as good a dancer as Kyle technically (in most cases better) so if he deserves to be there, she does too.

It's your right, the rights of the friends you watched with, and Bristol fans to disagree with whether Bristol is a good dancer and whether she danced better or worse than Brandy in the semi-finals. Small problem, my response was to answer your previous post question, which wasn't about your own viewpoint of Bristol's dancing ability. Your question was about the media and people upset about Tuesday's results' focus on Bristol in discussing it. Therefore, when I answered your question I gave the reason media, professional dancers/instructors, and fans( Brandy fans, non-Brandy fans, fans of actual dancing as a medium on the show) upset with Tuesday's results were focused on Bristol, regardless of whether she was the actual bottom 2 fan vote getter or not. It is the opinion of the aforementioned individuals that based on Bristol's dancing abilities she should have been gone long ago. That there were many before her who danced better than her and have made more improvement week to week than she has the entire season. And most importantly, that Bristol's dancing in the semi-finals was much worse than Brandy, Jennifer and even to an extent Kyle. Therefore, their focus on Bristol in their upset at Tuesday's result and the potential of her winning DWTS in the discussion in the media, regardless of whether her fan votes actually put her in the bottom 2. This is evidenced by the many media articles, tv interviews, blogs, message board post, etc. all season and since Tuesday's results that have stated their viewpoint on Bristol's dancing ability, in general all season, and last monday night. So, feel free to believe that Bristol's dancing was great and better than Brandy's Monday night. It's America and everyone has right to their opinion. It simply isn't relevant to the question you asked in your original post and my answer in response to it afterwards.

The FBI was there, as well as Hazmat, LAPD and LAFD.
    LAFD believes it's talcum powder, but they're still going to test it.

FBI Investigates Threat, White Powder Sent To ‘Dancing With The Stars’ CBS Los Angeles- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of LA
    Last edited by norealityhere; 11-20-2010 at 02:26 AM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread