+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4109177;
    Yeah, this is the first time they've ever done 2 dances just for the judges scores. So...yeah, looks like they'll make sure Bristol doesn't win and will do what they need to to offset her fan totals from the night before. The scoring will be very telling. I'm sure they'll let her down gently. Though it'd be worth it for the judges to really give Kyle his due and tell him they feel he's the most improved of the competition. I doubt he'll win, but he deserves at least that. I'm feeling good going into the finale. I have no desire to watch Monday, but there's no one I care about enough to want to lose/win, and it'll all be over Tuesday. Then I can agonize over the rumors and spoilers until next season.

I guess I'll say it's safe for Derek to keep a spot clear for that 3rd trophy

Normally I hate that the judges get anymore say after the first night of competition, as I've often wondered if that's the way for them to boost their desired outcome. Of course I've felt this entire season has been manipulated by the scoring.
    No, they have done this the last several years. America's vote is on Monday night, the four judges scores split over Mon and Tues. That is why the Freestyle is such a big deal because it is the last thing America sees before voting (unless you are like me and vote early to beat the busy phones.)
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26;4109182;
    Two Things: 1. The media, viewers, fans are not given the numbers and as of recently the official bottom two. SO, based on that in discussing the topic of the elimination we have to deal with what's presented. What was presented was Brandy & Bristol being the last two in the decision for elimination. Add to that what is definitively known, judges scores, Bristol and Brandy were the bottom 2 in judges scores. Add to that Bristol has been in the bottom or near the bottom of the judges scores for the entire season. While Brandy has been at the top except for in the Top 4. So, in discussing who Brandy was eliminated over most media, viewers,fans discuss what they were presented with and referenced, Bristol & Brandy in bottom 2 on tv and definitively in the judges scores for that particular week. Simple as that. If Jennifer had been presented in the bottom with Brandy and miraculously (lol), Bristol & Kyle had been at the top of the judges scores, people, media, would be discussing Jennifer beating out Brandy. However, item 2 below brings out why people would also still be definitely mentioning Bristol, and also a little Kyle even if that situation occurred.

2. Bristol, of the final 4, has been in the bottom or near the bottom in judges votes the entire shore. She has been viewed by many fans, professionals, and media to be the worst dancer of the final 4 and not far from the bottom in dancing ability the entire season. She has not been viewed by media, professionals, or even those voting for her to be the best dancer of all the dancers on the show this season or within the final 4. While Brandy has been viewed by the judges, professionals, and viewers to be one of the top dancers of the season and of the final 4. We're not talking popularity, personality, or absolutely best dancer. Merely one of the best and strictly dancing. So, when Brandy is eliminated based on how Brandy is viwed as a dancer versus Bristol, Bristol remaining over Brandy is a no--brainer to come up and be discussed. Even if you didn't have it presented that way in week 9 judges scores or in the final 2 standing there on tv. If the situation was reversed and Jennifer was in the position Brandy was and sent home, Bristol would come up for the same reason. If it had been been jennifer and Brandy standing there Tuesday and Bristol and Kyle were safe, Bristol & Kyle would come up due to how their dancing ability is viewed in comparison. If it had been Bristol and kyle presented as final 2 standing for elimination and Kyle went home, Bristol still would have been brought up. However, probably not as much because their is less of a disparity in their dancing abilities although Kyle is viewed better than Bristol. This is strictly dancing ability nothing to do with Palin name and hoopla. If it was Master P or Kenny Mayne on this season instead of Bristol and either of them made it into the finals over Brandy or Jennifer after being in the bottom for so long with their dancing ability, people would still be irate and going why is he still there and discussing it. Now, granted the political , polarizing ex-VP candidate, Tea party aspect wouldn't be there to take it to the exponenntail media levels that it's gotten. However, it would get to high levels of of media attention, irateness, and conspiracy theories just with a Master P or a Kenny Mayne beating out Brandy or 'Baby'. Bottom line even though there is popularity/fan vote aspect to it, most media, people feel there has to be some strong basis in actual dancing ability demonstrated on the show for there to be any credibility in the show. So, regardless of who was in the actual bottom 2 with fan votes once combined with judges votes, Bristol's name would come up against who actually went home this week, Brandy. In the eyes of the media and others Bristol has been viewed in majority to be the worst dancer of the 4 and of who actually went home. It would be the same if it had been Master P dancing next week. It's what people/media have to work with in what was supposed to be a dancing competition, in which fan vote numbers are not known, to discuss.

I respectfully disagree. Bristol outdanced Brandy in the semifinal. Everybody I watch will agreed with me. Yes Brandy was a "ringer" and was better than Bristol most of the season, but she was not on Monday. And while the judges were UNDERSCORING Bristol all season they were busy overscoring Brandy/Maks. Their Paso was full of mistakes and should have gotten 7's or 8's. Their tango was technically good, but lacked the intensity and passion it needed to be a true tango. Should have gotten 9's not 10's. Bristol was underscored, and Kyle and Jennifer's scores were right where they should have been. People are letting their dislike of Bristol and her mom cloud their judgement of what they are seeing on the dance floor, including the three judges. As to the bottom two, since we don't know who they are it isn't fair to say Brandy vs. Bristol, any more than it is Brandy vs. Jennifer. I happen to watch show with two former ballroom dancers, one who taught for years and another who competed on a college formation team. Bristol is as good a dancer as Kyle technically (in most cases better) so if he deserves to be there, she does too.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Sarah Palin Blasts Bristol's "Silly" Critics

Sarah Palin is sticking up for her daughter Bristol.

"Ah yes...Bristol-the-diva! Silly critics! See her diva-ish-ness," Palin Tweeted Thursday, as web chatter continued to mount over her daughter's controversial placement in the final three of Dancing with the Stars.

The former Alaska governor isn't the only one in Bristol's corner.

DWTS alum and other celebs gave plenty of sympathy to the 20-year-old single mom at Us Weekly's Hot Hollywood: Stars Who Care bash at the Colony Club in Hollywood Wednesday.

"You can find ten reasons why she deserves it and why Brandy deserves it," Louis Van Amstel told Us. (Brandy was famously shown the door on Tuesday and told Us Thursday she's feeling "better.")

"Brandy is the better dancer," Amstel admitted. "But then again, Bristol had to fight for several weeks to be accepted as Bristol and not Sarah Palin’s daughter."

Said former DWTS champ Kym Johnson: "She's had a different journey [from] Brandy -- she had no dance experience, so I think Bristol's what the show's all about."

"You're talking about a girl who had a regular job, worked in some office and...suddenly you throw her in front of millions of people," argued Sharon Osbourne. "She might as well be naked! People are really harsh on that young girl. It's not fault. [It's] her family, where she comes from. Give her a break!"

Sharon's famous daughter, one-time DWTS finalist Kelly, says she and Palin have had "very similar" experiences on the show.

"I had no dance experience coming onto that show, and I feel like we were both equally scared and equally insecure," Kelly told Us. Does Kelly think Bristol deserves to be there?

"Of course I do," the 25-year-old said. "She come [onto the show] so raw."
    News - Sarah Palin Blasts Bristol's "Silly" Critics - Movies, TV & Music - UsMagazine.com
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules;4109387;
    If this is true, they will lose me as a viewer. I think the judges paddle should count the way it is now except for the finale. Let the cookie crumble the way it does. Otherwise you have last year all over again where the "ringer" wins because the judges crammed them down our throats. People want it both ways. When it's Bristol they don't want our say to count and the judges to count for everything, but when it's Evan vs. Nicole they want our voices to count and are mad the judges manipulated the system. Can't have it both ways.
    The thing is, DWTS is not the same kind of show as American Idol, because ballroom dancing is not a populist form of entertainment. The point of the show is for established stars (not unknown newcomers) who aren't professional dancers to learn how to master a new artform, and to be the best ballroom dancer of the season. At some point, they have to be judged professionally and not by popular vote, or else the art of ballroom dancing is no longer served by the show.

With enough autotuning, overproducing and marketing, anyone can become a pop star. But you can't fake a good paso doble. Ultimately, that has to be rewarded over popularity, or else the show no longer has a point.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules;4109397;
    I respectfully disagree. Bristol outdanced Brandy in the semifinal. Everybody I watch will agreed with me. Yes Brandy was a "ringer" and was better than Bristol most of the season, but she was not on Monday. And while the judges were UNDERSCORING Bristol all season they were busy overscoring Brandy/Maks. Their Paso was full of mistakes and should have gotten 7's or 8's. Their tango was technically good, but lacked the intensity and passion it needed to be a true tango. Should have gotten 9's not 10's. Bristol was underscored, and Kyle and Jennifer's scores were right where they should have been. People are letting their dislike of Bristol and her mom cloud their judgement of what they are seeing on the dance floor, including the three judges. As to the bottom two, since we don't know who they are it isn't fair to say Brandy vs. Bristol, any more than it is Brandy vs. Jennifer. I happen to watch show with two former ballroom dancers, one who taught for years and another who competed on a college formation team. Bristol is as good a dancer as Kyle technically (in most cases better) so if he deserves to be there, she does too.
    Perhaps you and the group of friends/pro dancers you watched with felt this way, and you are entitled to your opinion, but it isn't the majority view shared in the media and around all the blogs/boards. Yes, Bristol improved on Monday, and she and Brandy received the same scores for their pasos, but the level of difficulty between the two dances was miles apart, which did not apparently get taken into consideration by the judges, as it does in say, diving or vaulting (gymnastics). The general consensus, even among many who support Bristol and are voting for her, is that her dancing, even Monday night, was/is not up to the level of Brandy's, neither technically nor for performance value, but it doesn't matter to them for whatever reason.

Simply put, Brandy had been an assumed finalist for many weeks now by the conventional wisdom, her performance and scores Monday night merited that continued assumption according to the conventional wisdom, and yet, a less talented competitor beat her out. That is why the result is getting all the attention it is getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie;4109307;
    A local Phoenix radio station reported this am- via a Chicago TV news report- that DWTS producers WILL be changing up the voting structure for next year. The judge's scores will count for 'significantly more' than the viewer votes.

This is my rememberance of 2nd hand info to start with, but, as I recall, this was reported to be a result of the 'Palin travesty' that producers are 'very upset over' and acknowledging that blocks of voters are adversely affecting the quality of the show.

Will look for more info and a link to post....if true, I may stay on board watching for another season.
    K-just went to the alleged source of the Phoenix radio station's info. What I read says the producers are NOT changing anything. Awww, I thought the news was too good to be true. And, on second thought, giving the judge's scores more weight would perhaps solve one problem but create another....as we haven't been enamored with their evaluations of the dancer's this year anyway.
    I just can't believe the producers would admit to a "Palin travesty" and say they are "very upset over" it! Maybe. But if that's the case and I find out it's true - that is, the DWTS producers said it instead of another so-called expert writing an article - then I've watched my last season.

This season was gold for them. They can continue on, shocking us along the way with a controversial "dancer" who isn't that good. They can pick "dancers" who are all around the same skill level - no ringers included. I would bet they'll stick with things the way they are. The ratings this Monday and Tuesday will say it all.
    Stay tuned for "Dancing with the Dancers"!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules;4109394;
    No, they have done this the last several years. America's vote is on Monday night, the four judges scores split over Mon and Tues. That is why the Freestyle is such a big deal because it is the last thing America sees before voting (unless you are like me and vote early to beat the busy phones.)
    You're right, I know they do the one dance where they rank the couples Tuesday, but I forgot last season was the "redemption dance" and season 9 was the mega mix. However, last season only Evan and Nicole got scores on their second dance Tuesday; the season before all 3 did. That seems to trade off. So I guess they only use the judges power when they really need it.

Personally, I think the freestyle round has become overrated

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

'Dancing With the Stars' producer defends Bristol Palin: 'I'm very confident that the votes that are getting through are valid' | EW.com

I won't quote the whole article, as it's more damage control on the producers part, but a couple of things that stood out:

People are being melodramatic about this. If she was Kenny Mayne, yeah, that could be an issue. Or Kate Gosselin — with the quality of her dancing, that would be a bit bizarre. But she’s a good dancer, Bristol. I thought she did great on Monday. Here’s a 20-year-old girl who everyone’s screaming at. This should be the best week of her life. I really feel for this girl. Everyone’s acting like she’s getting together with Dick Cheney, trying to start an evil empire. It’s crazy. It’s a dancing competition. She’s a lovely girl. Give her a break!
    Kyle is quite a performer, but Bristol is probably in terms of technique a better dancer than Kyle.
    Bristol would fall right into the same dancing category for me as those 2 above-except Kenny was more fun in his one episode, and Kate showed more emotion. I don't care what people say about Mark having the toughest challenge ever on DWTS by having Bristol; no one will ever have to endure Kate. Tony deserves the contender ever season for that alone. Quite honestly, the producers had to know this was coming. So I think it's more of a hole they keep digging when they keep saying the fans are over-reacting. They're loving this, they just can't say so. Last season had zero drama and a low rated finale (lower than season 9's anyway), and this season everyone else is getting overshadowed. I feel sorry for Kyle and Jennifer. And he actually says Bristol is a better technical dancer than Kyle?

Would you ever consider giving more weight to the judges’ scores in the future?

You’ve watched the show for a long time, so you’ve seen every little brouhaha we’ve had along the way. With the amount of times people have screamed blue murder about the scores of the judges have given, do you really think the complaining would stop if the judges had the final say?
    Don't the judges already have the final say by giving the last score after the fan votes are in?

And I really have an issue with all of this talk about them throwing out 'dirty votes' and verifying IPs. First, what about people who know how to use multiple IPs? And I'd like to know when they realize it's one vote too many from an IP and when it isn't; and whether throwing out votes does in fact impact the results (as was rumored with Gilles).

FORT Fanatic

This is how I see this from what happened this season.....in the next season have eight people but have them classifed as strictly beginners and people with show business backgrounds as two separate contests....

All the football players, rodeo riders, people with absolutely no dance experience, basketball players, millionaires, etc. in other words people with no stage presence compete among themselves...

Take the ones with some background even if they danced when younger in ballet, dancing involved with their singing career, and have performed on stage or in a TV capacity, especially if they had been doing this since childhood have them compete among themselves...

Two separate competitions which to me would make it fair for the prior performers and fair for the people who have absolutely no idea what getting on a stage and dancing means....

Then at the end you can see the improvements from the inexperienced and vote for who IMPROVED the most from day one...i.e. Bristol

and then vote for the one who though had experience IMPROVED the most from their starting point....i.e. Jennifer

To me to have this contest with people TOTALLY out of their comfort zone compete with professional actors, actresses, singers, ice skating performers and former dancers is just not fair to anyone.

From Season 1, we've had people on this show who've had either some dance training or been performers. Hence, the name DWTS.
    And, it's usually been pretty entertaining, as a result.

If we just had a bunch of people like Kenny Mayne, Master P, Kate, Bristol, etc., I doubt that the audience would be there to watch.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread